Model: Natalia Vodianova

Harper's Bazaar España Digital Edition

Vogue Russia March 2006
Models:Natalia Vodianova,Fredrik Ljungberg
Scanned by me

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

L'Oreal Paris 'Feria'
Models:Natalia Vodianova,Emily,Elodye Davids
Scanned by me (Marie Claire Russia September 2004)

loreal.jpg

i'd been a huge fan of natalia pretty much from the beginning of her career, but i will never forgive her for not speaking up against the atrocities taking place in ukraine right now. what's everyone's thoughts on this? do you think she's decided to stay silent because her philantropic activities in russia might be jeopardized? or because the rest of her family living might be in danger? or because her official involvement might damage her husband's family luxury business in russia (that is virtually non-existent at the moment)?

^ I think she’s in a tough spot. Obviously anyone in the region (such as yourself) knows the situation better than I do and what people can afford to do or not but my limited experience (childhood) living in a relatively authoritarian and decades-old regime (which wasn’t even on the level of what Putin does, no sending political opponents or critics to camps, pouring novichok on them or changing the constitution, just inexplicable ‘disappearances’ and extreme surveillance) taught me that it’s sometimes far better (for you, your loved ones and your ability to continue to help before they find a way to quickly silence you) to be a good citizen and help people discreetly. Many people have done this in the toughest moments of conflicts throughout history, they’re not cowards just because, as an example, they smuggled jews outside of a country without yelling it out loud and expecting praise for being so heroic. I think social media makes us believe that everyone owes the world an announcement of where they stand and what their true values and beliefs are, or like something is wrong with you if the least of your concerns is courting praise and likes and the relief people will feel knowing you’re on the ‘right’ side.. like they will actively intervene when you tell them your family back home is paying the consequences that are spared to you just because you’re lucky enough to condemn a government from abroad.

I have nothing but respect for people like Olga Smirnova but I think everyone is in just.. different situations and it’s just so easy to judge when you’ve never experienced the wrath of a certain society and its government.

^ I think she’s in a tough spot. Obviously anyone in the region (such as yourself) knows the situation better than I do and what people can afford to do or not but my limited experience (childhood) living in a relatively authoritarian and decades-old regime (which wasn’t even on the level of what Putin does, no sending political opponents or critics to camps, pouring novichok on them or changing the constitution, just inexplicable ‘disappearances’ and extreme surveillance) taught me that it’s sometimes far better (for you, your loved ones and your ability to continue to help before they find a way to quickly silence you) to be a good citizen and help people discreetly. Many people have done this in the toughest moments of conflicts throughout history, they’re not cowards just because, as an example, they smuggled jews outside of a country without yelling it out loud and expecting praise for being so heroic. I think social media makes us believe that everyone owes the world an announcement of where they stand and what their true values and beliefs are, or like something is wrong with you if the least of your concerns is courting praise and likes and the relief people will feel knowing you’re on the ‘right’ side.. like they will actively intervene when you tell them your family back home is paying the consequences that are spared to you just because you’re lucky enough to condemn a government from abroad.

I have nothing but respect for people like Olga Smirnova but I think everyone is in just.. different situations and it’s just so easy to judge when you’ve never experienced the wrath of a certain society and its government.
thank you for your points, mullet. i agree to a certain extent. of course, we've seen influential people "abusing" sensitive situations for their PR and those weren't even close to the situation we're in now.
what i had in mind specifically in natalia's case though – and i am very aware that these matters are VERY delicate, especially for someone so high profile and who's clearly been a proud russian and now must feel embarrased – that with such a vast audience hailing from the country where free speech has been suffocated and people have been fed lies, i would have expected her at least try. because it must be so frustrating to watch from abroad. i know i would probably go crazy myself being in her position.

she's posted a very neutral post at the very beginning of the invasion and nothing since, somewhat stark contrast to the content she'd normally post of her lavish lifestyle.

i try my best not to shame her, because what you mentioned is so true, no one really knows what she does behind the curtains and i also believe she's helping a lot, donating, etc. but in occassions like this, i believe one can't stay silent. she has the power, for decades now she's been a sort of ambassadrice for her country in this industry and beyond. if she stays silent, it implies that she's simply either not brave enough (and it's perfectly fine, she has a big family and we're at war so...) or she doesn't care enough. neither of those should be okay though. not in my book anyway. there are symbolic ways to express yourself. "diplomatic" ways. ways that don't necessary require strong words.

I think you're right assuming that she must be afraid that her philanthropic activities might get jeopardized if she speaks, and honestly, I can understand her. She did so much for people in need that the last thing she wants is to get in trouble of kind, because that would mean she won't be able to provide more help. Obviously, you can judge her if you want, but if you've never run a charity, you don't know what she feels like knowing that she is responsible for all those people she is helping and is hence afraid to be straight-forward. There are things more important in life than always speaking your mind.

I also agree with the above comment on that the current social media world is making people feel obliged to always voice their position, which I think is wrong. To my memory, Natalia has never commented on anything closely political, which is not to say that she doesn't have her position on anything, but only that she's chosen not to voice it, which is fine.

I think she had got it a bit too harsh in her Instagram comments and she closed her comments a couple of hours ago, which I think is alright in this situation. She was trying to help with charity connections and donation, but she got bullied instead, is it good?

STELLA MCCARTNEY SUMMER 2022 CAMPAIGN
Photo: Mert & Marcus
(stellamccartney.com)

L'Oreal Paris 2004
Model:Natalia Vodianova

cosmo ru dec 2004 5.jpg elle ru febr 2004 # 88 beauty supplement.jpg
Scanned by me (Cosmopolitan Russia December 2004;Elle Russia February 2004 Beauty supplement)

Centro
Model:Natalia Vodianova
Scanned by me (Cosmopolitan Russia November 2012)

cosmopolitan russia nov 2012.jpg

US Vogue December 2022

During a tumultuous childhood in Russia, Natalia Vodianova and her youngest sister, Jenna, were separated by adoption. Two decades later, DNA testing brought about a grateful, unexpected reunion.

LOST AND FOUND
Photography:
Annie Leibovitz
Styling: Tonne Goodman
Hair: Sally Hershberge
Make-up: Francelle Daly
Model/Talent: Natalia Vodianova & Jennifer Burns

US Vogue Digital Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members