NYC Officials Want New 'Survivor' Pulled

The producers are desperate for ratings. I won't watch. I never liked the show to begin with.

Like there hasn't been enough racial competition in the past to generate hate and division amongst people:rolleyes::shock:

softgrey said:
PLEASE NO ONE WATCH THIS CRAP!!!

i'm going to watch it because it will be hilarious. everyone needs to chill out. :rolleyes: imagine the kinds of bets that are gonna be placed on this. ASIANS FOR THE WIN!! :lol:

silk skin paws said:
The producers are desperate for ratings. I won't watch. I never liked the show to begin with.

True. I guess they want to create controversy so people will tune in. The show is boring, IMO.

What after this? Humans against, Chimpanzees, Gorillas, and Baboons?

This is a pure example of discrimination...... Just like any kind of mediatic propaganda. Categorizing individuals by gender (I absolutely hate that word by the way) or race is absolutely disgusting..... And NO, RACE is NOT a social/cultural criteria!!!!!!

F* CBS! :angry:

Hm, as a Chinese-American immigrant-turned-citizen, I find it strange that I don't consider this offensive at all :blink: In fact, I actually feel as if Survivor's promoting cultural understanding in a way by having viewers observe how people of different backgrounds handle different situations, especially when placed under such horrid conditions. And then...when they assimilate eventually, it'll be interesting to watch the effects/consequences -- because it could very well mirror what happens in our society when such incorporations occur. Granted, the challenges involved might really exemplify the stereotypical strengths and weaknesses of each race...but then again, might what will happen on the show actually dismiss those prejudices (Now there's a twist)? All in all, reality shows here have always had a Caucasian majority in terms of contestants (Perfectly understandable considering the racial population proportions), so it really doesn't surprise me that the genre/Survivor would try to involve more diversity, even if it's in such a manner.

"Desperate for ratings?" Perhaps -- but I guess I'll be one of those suckered in to watch this season...if it doesn't get pulled, that is. I honestly expect the season to be quite fascinating :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
Faith Akiyama said:
Granted, the challenges involved might really exemplify the stereotypical strengths and weaknesses of each race...but then again, might what will happen on the show actually dismiss those prejudices (Now there's a twist)? All in all, reality shows here have always had a Caucasian majority in terms of contestants (Perfectly understandable considering the racial population proportions), so it really doesn't surprise me that the genre/Survivor would try to involve more diversity, even if it's in such a manner.
Babe, this is NOT about diversity, it is called DISCRIMINATION and therefore a form of RACISM; they're dividing people by race and putting them in a competition where a certain race will be the winner and other races the loosers!!!!! The moment you start CATEGORIZING people by race and even WORSE, putting them one against the other based on race categorization, there is now way prejudices can be dismissed! :rolleyes:

Kimkhuu said:
Babe, this is NOT about diversity, it is called DISCRIMINATION and therefore a form of RACISM; they're dividing people by race and putting them in a competition where a certain race will be the winner and other races the loosers!!!!! The moment you start CATEGORIZING people by race and even WORSE, putting them one against the other based on race categorization, there is now way prejudices can be dismissed! :rolleyes:

Assuming that the conditions of victory are equal there is no discrimination. Recognizing a racial difference between groups is not discrimination, if there was an obvious handicap levelled against one group, that would be discrimination, but there isn't thus far. I put stock in what Faith is saying, and believe that the show could only serve to illustrate that given an even playing field the races featured are equal. :ninja:

I'm with Faith, I'm a minority in the US too and I find 0 offense in this, and like Faith, am really interested in watching even though I haven't watched Survivor since the original season.

I guess it all depends on how the producers frame things, and that's what I'm curious to see.

This doesn't seem so terrible to me ... the superiority of races other than white can be seen at any track & field event ... why not Survivor? I don't watch TV, but this sounds somewhat interesting :P

Kimkhuu said:
I definitely see where you're coming from, and I appreciate your concern upon this sensitive issue :flower: But I guess to me, what the producers are doing seems no different than what happened in my very own high school -- where people chose to categorize themselves by sitting at respective lunch tables/being in different cliques, with the elements of such divisions are popularity, common interest, and/or of course, race. I do realize that in this situation, the scale is much more massive than merely sharing a mealtime (Since this is an element of the entertainment industry), but I just feel that the seeds of differentiating ourselves have always been sown as part of the principles of human nature, and even if no one dares to admit it...there has always been subtle competition between different races in society. In those four years (And I say all the following with a disclaimer :lol: ), there was always the whispered question of "which group has the brains?" (Usually the Asian-American group) or "Which group has the most beautiful girls?" (Usually the Caucasian group), and so on. It's just that no one ever openly spoke out on such issues :wink:

Just my two cents! :smile:

Faith Akiyama said:
I do realize that in this situation, the scale is much more massive than merely sharing a mealtime (Since this is an element of the entertainment industry), but I just feel that the seeds of differentiating ourselves have always been sown as part of the principles of human nature, and even if no one dares to admit it...there has always been subtle competition between different races in society.

This is (I hope) my last reply within this thread. This is NOT part of the human nature but what the society has taught us to do through mediatic propaganda (this is again a very vast subject that I won't touch now).

Just like sexism. Did you ever noticed that in ads, women are used as mere objects of male domination and desire. That in most household appliance ads/cooking/house cleaning ads women are featured. That in movies, the one staying at home doing the home duties is the woman. That in the media, women are portrayed as weak sensitve souls. That in fairy tales, the women use their beauty to gain what they want and are often (if not ALL the time) being dominated by a male figure. And that the male plays the hero, the courageous brave one. And through that kind of education, sexism is built. And then we define women as being sensitve, weak, dominated. And some will say, oh but now times are changing and women will often get leading superhero roles..... Yes, they are either dominating someone (rare) or being dominated by a male, but NEVER is it an EQUAL relation. And this kind of oppression is PERPETUATED by capitalism. And with time, we don't feel the oppression anymore, because we can't see that form of sexism anymore because it has infiltrated our everyday lives, it is NORMAL for the woman to take care of her child and do the cooking, it is NORMAL for the woman to be obsessed with beauty and shopping, it IS NORMAL for the woman to play a secondary role in the household, being her male's object of domination, it is NORMAL for a NORMAL woman to date a MAN, not a WOMAN, no that would be wrong!

There are obviously (and sometimes less obviously) inequalities within our society. Why? Because of different forms of hierarchy based on ethnical backgrounds (just like sexism is perpetuaded within our society). That form of oppression is used to divide humans into catogory to weaken them (us).

It doesn't personally offend me or anything, but I can see why this would be such a controversial issue. In a way it has its pros and cons (I would so more cons, but there are some pros), but I really just see it as a way for people to start watching Survivor again. I mean seriously, who can name the last five (maybe ten?) people who have won Survivor? Certainly not I.

Kimkhuu said:
This is (I hope) my last reply within this thread. This is NOT part of the human nature but what the society has taught us to do through mediatic propaganda (this is again a very vast subject that I won't touch now).

Just like sexism. Did you ever noticed that in ads, women are used as mere objects of male domination and desire. That in most household appliance ads/cooking/house cleaning ads women are featured. That in movies, the one staying at home doing the home duties is the woman. That in the media, women are portrayed as weak sensitve souls. That in fairy tales, the women use their beauty to gain what they want and are often (if not ALL the time) being dominated by a male figure. And that the male plays the hero, the courageous brave one. And through that kind of education, sexism is built. And then we define women as being sensitve, weak, dominated. And some will say, oh but now times are changing and women will often get leading superhero roles..... Yes, they are either dominating someone (rare) or being dominated by a male, but NEVER is it an EQUAL relation. And this kind of oppression is PERPETUATED by capitalism. And with time, we don't feel the oppression anymore, because we can't see that form of sexism anymore because it has infiltrated our everyday lives, it is NORMAL for the woman to take care of her child and do the cooking, it is NORMAL for the woman to be obsessed with beauty and shopping, it IS NORMAL for the woman to play a secondary role in the household, being her male's object of domination, it is NORMAL for a NORMAL woman to date a MAN, not a WOMAN, no that would be wrong!

There are obviously (and sometimes less obviously) inequalities within our society. Why? Because of different forms of hierarchy based on ethnical backgrounds (just like sexism is perpetuaded within our society). That form of oppression is used to divide humans into catogory to weaken them (us).
What you speak rings true! :flower: My feminist side is proud :heart: But I think the only reason I stated such sentiments as being human nature is due to my personal experiences living as a minority in the US. There has always existed a natural tendency for me to gravitate towards those of my own race in various situations...but it undoubtably stems from a search for cultural commonality rather than from the influences of any type of mass media. Thus, I guess I just feel that the foundation of such thoughts has already been set through elements like traditional customs and practices that are bound to be diverse, which means that Survivor is merely perpetuating the ideas even further... At the same time, I understand what you're trying to say, because what Survivor is doing here could have dangerous consequences (I mean, just imagine what propaganda it could serve for the KKK if a Caucasian contestant wins!), but my optimistic side really believes that they have something up their sleeve this season that can disprove anything of this nature...which means, I'll definitely be watching -- closely :shifty:

This shall be my last post in this thread as well! To each his/her own! :flower:

This is bullsh*t! I can't believe that this is happening in 2006! I'm going to make sure I don't promote their ratings and DOWNLOAD IT.

ScenicRoute said:
ASIANS FOR THE WIN!! :lol:

HOLLA

GivenchyPrincess said:
It's such a blatent publicity stunt to get people talking about the show again, It's 13 seasons in so clearly they were running out of tasteful ways to generate publicity.

Agreed.

I stopped watching after the first season. Nothing can beat the first season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowbar69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->