OCM - *oil cleansing method

it really is fantastic strawb. :heart:
absolutely ideal for dry skin . . it's v.intensively moisturising & balancing.

i_<3_chanel said:
chanelnumber5 when i first started i used pure extra virgin olive oil for a few weeks
it's a good way to get into it . . . the other oils aren't necessary at all imo.
olive oil is the must. :heart:
Thanks so much for the info!! I'm going to buy some olive oil asap!! I will get back to you when I've tried it out :flower:

i_<3_chanel said:
tht's why you steam again after you massage . . to open the pores

errr, that's a myth. :unsure:

No matter what Madison Avenue wants you to believe, pores do not (and cannot) open and close. At most they can appear larger or smaller. :innocent:

Have you ever tried DHC Cleansing Oil?

well tbh if it makes my skin this good i couldn't care less how it works! ;] :lol:
& no i haven't ever tried the DHC cleansing oil (can't get hold of it!) . . i've read good reviews though. do you use it?
it's the same principle, no?
i've tried the FANCL & kose oils though. good stuff!

adore is tht seaweed moisturiser mario badescu?

Last edited by a moderator:
i_<3_chanel said:
brokenenglish i think the body shop oils you used might have made your skin feel oily
try using pure extra virgin olive oil for a week or two first
& if you want to use cetaphil in the mornings tht's fine
doing it twice a day isn't a must! go by wht yr skin likes . .
personally i find it lovely in the shower in the morning to steam w/a little oil

:flower:

I have olive oil...but it doesn't say extra virgin...
what is the difference?...:blush:
I also have some avocado oil....Do you think that would be good?
They say avocados are good for your skin.:P

Thanks for all the tips, you are a big help.:flower:

This is all very, very interesting. I think I may try this method when I go home for Christmas break. :flower:

o yes! avocado oil would be good. v.nourishing! :wink:
& there's no harm in using usual olive oil until you get some extra virgin oil ;]

^^^ "Extra virgin" olive oil means it's from the first pressing and therefore the best. They keep pressing those olives harder and harder, with more and more heat to squeeze out the most of them, which means that it gets worse and worse... :wink:

"Extra virgin" is pressed least roughly and without heat, which preserves the most possible good stuff. :flower:

i_<3_chanel said:
no i haven't ever tried the DHC cleansing oil (can't get hold of it!) . . i've read good reviews though. do you use it?
it's the same principle, no?

I got a sample of DHC cleansing oil in the post and liked the feel of it. Though it is very oily it rinses off quite clean. Most of the time I use Cetaphil and take it off with a soft cloth. Waterless cleansing is what my skin likes best!

i tried an olive/apricot combo last night...
lovely....i'm going to keep this up...
no, chanel, the moisturiser is from the body shop...:ninja:

but i had heard so many wonderful things about it...
and it seems to be living up to the rave..!! :heart:
ironically- its an oil-free moisturiser, which goes against this concept..:lol:
but it has actually been hydrating my skin really well....go figure....

def. tea it's just so much gentler!
but i never got the same satisfaction frm cream cleansers (waterless) as i do w/oil!
really want to try out the DHC oil. is it foam before you apply?

adore i thought it might be the body shop one aswell!
but i've heard good things abt both . . might try out the body shop one . .
i'm guessing it's not greasy at all? wht's so good abt seaweed for the skin?

its very lightweight, chanel...
but not drying at all....which was my main concern....
they advertise it as oil-free & shine-free....but i didnt want anything that 'stripped' my skin, because i dont have particularly oily skin.....just slightly (i find olive skintones are typically slightly oilier than others)

anyway....its very hydrating without being greasy....
definitely doesnt feel like a typical oil-free moisturiser though, because i find they generally dry me out... its gentle and nourishing....
its made from wild harvested irish seaweed... which i have also heard a lot about....
give it a shot- see how you like it :heart: :flower:

NATURAL OILS
Grapeseed oil is one of the lightest oils, very balancing, rich in antioxidants and not greasy. (Shhh...I just use a cold-pressed one for cooking :blush:! But it's worked the best.) Olive oil really didn't work well for me but many do swear by it. Apricot oil, sweet almond oil and jojoba (actually a wax) are other good choices, but read up on aromatherapy carrier/base oils and try some out to see what suits you because each one has very different therapeutic qualities. Unrefined avocado oil is extremely rich and waxy, you may want to dilute it with some other oil. Study, experiment.

CLEANSING OILS
DHC, Shu, Fancl, etc. cleansing oils all have chemicals that make them emulsify when you mix with water and wash. They left a kind of slick silicon-y film that I didn't like. Some made me break out.
I'm not saying they're bad, but they're formulated to wash away, and it's just a very different concept from wiping with natural oils.

BREAKOUTS
Don't be afraid of leaving makeup residue, if you wipe away gently with a moist cotton it will be fine. Those prone to breakouts have much to gain; oil removes oil, protects the skin's moisture and natural healing, and prevents the overproduction of sebum, which is what makes it so suitable for acne-prone skin. I've had amazingly clear skin since starting this. Again, see what oils suit you. Personally, I wouldn't wash later with water and cleanser, I find it strips away the skin's own natural protection and negates the very benefits of this method.

Phew. :rolleyes: Anyway, hope that answers some questions.:flower:

Thanks chanel for the thread and tott and melisande for the information on oils. I think I'll go oilshopping and try this out. The cleanser I'm using now isn't doing anything so might as well.

I tried this out last night... it certainly was very nice to massage my face with oil and steam it for a few moments. I think I will try it again a few times this week and see if I can get the same significant effects as I <3 Chanel.

Winter in Toronto is really harsh on my skin. My chin and cheeks tend to break out and get clogged pores, and my nose and forehead get all dry and flaky. Plus stress and diet ravages do not have me looking my dewiest lately.

It certainly was a lovely ritual feeling... and it makes sense in a counterintuitive way (after all they make soap from fat and oil). I love the idea of simplifying the beauty thing from complicated products to actual components and elements... a very elegant way to take care of one's body.

Thank you I <3 Chanel for posting this!
:flower:

You guys know the most interesting things :lol:

Chanel - fascinating concept! Who would've guessed? Does this disrupt the balance of the skin for a bit (like a facial? :P). In other words, I have a Christmas party to attend Friday evening. Should I wait until after if I want to look my best or give it a go?

Tott - I never knew that about olive oil! And I'm a food network junkie. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adspttsa
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->