Olivier Theyskens Officially Parts Ways with Nina Ricci

i hope that wherever Oliver Theyskens is, he'll continue to be able to create beautiful clothing that we can dream about and be inspired by.. :cry:

If Olivier has his own line I would be overjoyed I hope he returns to the dark elegance that he had in his own line and a little bit at Rochas. He is one of my favorite designers I just hope he keeps designing he is just so talented. I loved S/S 09 I could see it being modified to sell just take off the trains (although I would wear it as is and not care) So conflicted this makes me sad and happy

Let's put Alessandra at Ricci and Olivier at Dior. John can go away since clearly he can't create anything worth of Dior anymore and continue designing that drag queen stuff on his own.

Olivier would be great at dior. Although John Gaillianos couture collection was stunning some of the other things he has done in the last 2 years has fallen short. I could see Olivier doing rtw and John doing couture.

olivier is more couture type, so it can be quite difficult for him to succeed at any house it he gets the boot from ricci.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh I like the idea of Alessandra at Ricci! That seems right!
Eventhough I dont like what John has been doing for the last several seasons at Dior, I cannot even imagine Dior without him. :shock:

Breaking: Olivier Theyskens Out at Nina Ricci?!

Grazia is reporting Olivier Theyskens has officially left Nina Ricci. Or at least that's the word on the front row of the couture shows, which are going on in Paris right now. Rumors that he might leave have been swirling for weeks. Both the designer and Puig president Mario Grauso tried to quiet gossip about design differences between Puig and Theyskens less than two weeks ago. But apparently Theyskens's latest collection for the house wasn't selling. Nina Ricci is yet to confirm that Theyskens is really out. But if it's true, what on earth is Ricci going to show at Paris Fashion Week, which is just weeks away? And where, oh where, will Theyskens go?
BREAKING: Olivier Theyskens leaves Nina Ricci [Grazia]
The Cut

Theyskens has a following of his own, and the ability to generate buzz. He should put his efforts into properly establishing his own label - and hire people who have the ability to channel his aesthetic into creating highly desirable products, so he gets to exercise his artistry while a team who understands him guides the label towards making some money.

At this point, if Theyskens really has got talent, why work for someone else and subvert his own vision, when people already know his name?

sheesh...this is getting ridiculous already...
too many revolving doors...

*too many labels is really the problem imo...
:ermm:

I would love him to have his own line (although will funds will be a problem?) but I seriously want him to be at big big big house like Givenchy or Balenciaga so that he can be in the same league as Ghesqure, Tisci and Simmons, but none of them have any vacancies.

He HAS a big house, or one with a lot of potential, and most of his collections there have been very hit/miss. Who knows if it would be any different elsewhere?

Its Grazia... and its only rumours at this stage anyway.

Im not sure if he had his own line it would be completely successful, although I would love to see what he could do. I think inbetween working for Rochas and Nina he was doing one-off commissions or a small pre-collection on his own?
If he did have his own label again, I imagine it being something similar to Alaia's business model.

His own line would be fantastic but it would be incredibly hard for him to find a financial backer; especially in the current economic climate.

I think those rumors are floating around in order to scare Theyskens into creating something more marketable. I wouldn't be surprised if the Nina Ricci people were behind all this! :lol: :innocent:

I always think that Olivier has to design a real couture line. He is more talented than designing pret-a-porter...
I hope that he wants the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
His last show for Nina Ricci was ugly, he's hard to work with and sales have been bad (and since before the economy fell apart). Normally when designers get the pink slip I wail and shed salt tears and roll in the dust, but it might not be a bad idea to fire him.

And then he could have his own line, blah blah blah, and as long as he never ever goes near a wide-shouldered wasp-waisted long-in-the-back short-in-the-front silhouette EVER again it'd be fine.

I always think that Olivier has to design a real couture line. He is more talented than designing pret-a-porter...
I hope that he wants the same.

True, pretty much the reason why his RTW don't really sell much. Too couture-like.

Rumors like this were bound to happen... he's an artist. Wearability has become the driving force behind so many houses these days. I can't help but feel like he's a little behind of his time, if that makes any sense- he would have done very well in the time of the grand couturiers.

the title from WWD:

Copping Said Eyed for Ricci

Copping Said Eyed for Ricci
by Miles Socha
Posted Wednesday January 28, 2009
From WWD Issue 01/28/2009

PARIS — Peter Copping, a seasoned designer at Louis Vuitton under Marc Jacobs, is in line to succeed Olivier Theyskens as the next designer at Nina Ricci, according to sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghesquiere98
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->