Olivier Theyskens Officially Parts Ways with Nina Ricci

I did read somewhere online yesterday that he is working on his own line. Ive tried looking for the piece again but I cant find it.. Im sure it was on The Cut or FashionWeekDaily.

He is in a good position now if he were to start his own line I think. There would be no question about everyone taking notice if he did.

for now, the designer's Ricci team wasn't concerned about his rumored namesake line. They toasted with champagne and cried at the unofficial after-party bar backstage. "Yes, it's all very emotional," said a choked up Theyskens, stopping himself from elaborating further as publicists watched on. Tanya Dziahileva for one did not want to say goodbye to it all. "He's truly one of my favorites and it's sad that he'll be gone from Ricci," she sighed. "I'm just standing around here and I'm refusing to take his clothes off. They'll have to force me."

FashionWeekDaily.com

well he is very talented, but its sad talent has to be sacrificed for fast cash .

I don't see it is as fast cash you've mentioned. Creativity is amazing but ultimately if doesn't reach the final customer doesn't have a point to move on, he should open a art gallery instead.. we're talking about ready-to-wear, the label must sell to survive, to have just celebrity placements its great for the brand image for while but it will snap at same point. I guess if he is doing couture all the problems would be solved, as few dresses would pay the high bills.

I'm wondering if all those people that express the love for the brand in this forum buys it. Fashion is Business and relies most of the time in successful commerce to be alive.

I'd also like to see him at the head of a couture house.
Can you imagine him at somewhere like . . . Dior?

Will be very difficult someone take the position of Galliano at Dior. Whether you like or not he is mentioned at Forbes as the top 3 most profitable designers of this Century... if Theyskens is having problems to spin some cash at Nina is very unlikely Dior would ever consider him.

I don't understand why people say this is his last show if his contract expires in October. Isn't Spring 2010 in October? :unsure:

He will still create Resort 2010 and Spring 2010 right?

^ That's what's confusing about this.

But I'm guessing the suits have the power to nix him before the contract expires, especially if they've replaced him already.

^^^ Oh really? :(

I thought a contract was a contract! I wonder how fashion contracts work; is it legitimate to fire someone if for example they don't create profitable collections :unsure:

I think he will do his next collection which will be his last, a contract is indeed a contract.

Designers do get let go before their contract expires though. I mean, Alessandra had to have some sort of contract at Valentino when she signed on, it couldn't have only been for a six month period. Same thing with Lars Nilsson at Ferre.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now wouldn't be the best time to resurrect his own collection :ermm:

I do hope he does though, Nina Ricci was a huge let down compared to Rochas, and I cringe at the idea of him doing Valentino or Dior. He creates great evening gowns, sure, but he has too much talent to just create expensive, pretty dresses. I'm sure he'll get picked up somewhere quickly, if this is his last collection...

If you have Anna Wintour helping you get your own collection, anytime is the perfect time.

he definitely should pursue his own label, so he can do whether he likes taking the all the benefits or losses of it himself.

true actually, if Anna is indeed such a fan- he'll go far anywhere.

She's done amazing things for Alexander Wang despite his growing mediocrity.

"Mr. Theyskens, who will be replaced by Peter Copping, a senior designer at Louis Vuitton, when his contract expires in October, opened his collection with a few long and lean looks........."

From New york times

I'm personally thrilled for Spring 2010!!! Can you imagine the spectacle that he is going to show for his last show as a big "f**k you" to Nina Ricci!!! :lol: :innocent:

Literally I cannot wait for the brilliance that he will bring as a finale to his time at the house!!! :woot: :heart:

I'm personally thrilled for Spring 2010!!! Can you imagine the spectacle that he is going to show for his last show as a big "f**k you" to Nina Ricci!!! :lol: :innocent:

Literally I cannot wait for the brilliance that he will bring as a finale to his time at the house!!! :woot: :heart:

I know this is better than him keeping his contract and I am know that he will continue in some way I mean he is so young and talented just because he is a waste of money does not mean that he is useless if I had the money I would buy his designs but I dont :cry:

OR maybe he will keep some integrity as a professional designer...

I dont think there will be a Spring 2010 from him judging from the reported reactions after the last show. I wonder if he is working in some kind of collaboration with Peter Copping, since we know he has left LV already. Or maybe Copping is 'editing', hence the last show..

That makes no sense at all. His designs obviously have not made the company money and now he says to them, F**k you. That seems a little backwards.

Anyone can make great designs but actually getting them to move off the sales floor is what seperates him from other talented designers and it's truly quite sad.

I'm wondering if all those people that express the love for the brand in this forum buys it. Fashion is Business and relies most of the time in successful commerce to be alive.

It often seems to sell-out almost immediately on NAP.

Not sure how many pieces they order, though?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hopsfie
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->