Organic Food

Discussion in 'The Beauty Cupboard' started by robertocavalli, Dec 5, 2009.

View Users: View Users
  1. robertocavalli

robertocavalli New Member

Hello!

I am considering switching to organic food. Is anyone familiar with organic products? Pros and cons? Any help would be great - I've done some research but no one around me eats organic. How does it taste :) ?

2. michyed

michyed THE STRANGER

Organic foods taste delicious! :buzz: My bf always makes mashed potatoes with organic potatoes, and they taste very different from normal mashed potatoes. I also love eating at this organic food restaurant nearby :D

Hope this helps:
    As for the cons? Probably the cost, lower output and shorter shelf life.

3. michyed

michyed THE STRANGER

Just found this on CNN... Some cons!

4. ofewne datwiste

ofewne datwiste New Member

That is Propaganda fed in large by the Aquaculture growers and CNN repeats it - CNN is not the end all be all in news. You will also hear Big Pharma saying Vitamins are not beneficial. Eat locally grown Organic.

While you are studying information to go organic - drop the sugar also and go Stevia and Xylitol. Sugar is white death food from the dark side. You will also find sugar companies spending money on TV commercials saying it's just use corn syrup. However it is not.

I am a fashion designer and maker of things. I also worked for Eden Foods in 1975 the First International Whole Food and Organic Food Distributer in the World. They have recently celebrated their 40th year in business. We had a lunch room where Michael Potter the owner had a chef on staff. All our meals were made and then shared by the entire crew. How cool was that back in 1975.

Yet down the freeway I-94 was the Big 4 Automakers a 45 minute drive. So close to the ECO movement of the early 70s in Ann Arbor and light years away in comprehension. And now today paying the price by having not looked into sustainability instead going for situational trend $elling.

It was fortuitous to live in Ann Arbor home of University of Michigan in the mid 1970s the hot bed of Arts, Health Food and Intelligence. I wondered in the 80s how Fashion and Health food would mix - well here we are today and I know how. I'm in my early 50s look great and design hot stuff in good health.

off now to have a glass of greens and seaweeds.. black cherry flavor of course.

You young women take care of your bodies do not rely on large companies to have your best interest on their bottom line.

#4 ofewne datwiste, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited by moderator : Dec 6, 2009
  5. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

If you eat meat.... would you rather eat a piece of chicken that was heavily induced with antibiotics and steroids to make it fattier or a piece of chicken that was fed regular chicken feed so it isn't as fatty. I think organic is the best thing anyone can do to start eating healthier, but for some reason journalists, researchers, and news networks always find a way to down organic foods because it is out of the ordinary diet of a currently obese society.

I don't know if you live in the US, but if anyone here does, they should watch Food Inc to realize that the food company in the US is controlled by big companies who aren't the most organic of brands. Oh, and let's not forget that those companies are lobbyists and will gladly pay millions just to get people to believe that organic, veganism, vegetarianism, low fat foods are bad because of some retarded reason.

Anyways, back to the topic.

Pros? A cleaner diet that doesn't consist of pesticides, antibiotics, and steroids.

Cons? A bit pricier since there's not a heavy demand for organic products at the moment.

I hope people understand that organic that not mean being vegetarian or vegan.

Also, a big pro is to actually be able to taste foods how they are naturally.

For meats, they are less fatty and have a more heavy taste.

For vegetables/fruits, you'll find they're not as large, but also have a heavier taste.

When I say heavier, I mean you get more flavor in less portions. Non-organic products usually focus on a bigger portion but with less taste. Organic products are usually "smaller" but more tasty. You'll find your taste buds being satisfied much faster when eating organic.

I hope that helps some. Just from my personal experience ofcourse.

6. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

Also, about prices. You'll find vegetables/fruits to be much much cheaper when you're eating products that are in season.

During warm months, you should consider growing common easy to grow vegetables/fruits/herbs as you will find it much cheaper than buying from the market. Especially herbs. I bought "organic basil" from the supermarket and it was like 5 bucks for a few stems of leaves. Spending that much money on herbs is absurd especially when you can grow your own and have a basil shrub for months.

7. michyed

michyed THE STRANGER

Did you even read both articles properly? It's irritating when people dismiss an unbiased viewpoint as propaganda. What I quoted was a small part of the article that listed the cons of organic foods, because the original poster asked for both viewpoints. They make perfect sense too - "organic" is not tantamount to "viral-free", and an organic product does not guarantee safety. That's not going to stop me from eating organic products, but surely I'm not just gonna blindly stuff organic foods down my mouth.

This is also from CNN... :innocent: Oh no, now they're feeding us with their pro-organic propaganda!

8. Belowen

Belowen ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

I would agree that the major con is the price... Organic food is pricier, but IMO better in the long run. We try to buy fresh from the farmer's market where possible, and stick to organic groceries where we can. You will notice the taste different mostly in the fresh foods rather than the pre packaged foods. Organic fruit is SO delicious. There is a massive taste different to fruit that has been snap frozen and sold at a later date.

9. robertocavalli

Wow, you've all been so helpful!

I went to several chain supermarkets (I live in England now) and I find is hard to find products - otherwise there is a very small section.

I feel that organic food is the ultimate detox and the ideal lifestyle change.

10. robertocavalli

As you mentioned being organic is not being a vegan or a vegetarian. So, what signs should I be looking for so I know that something is organic? Particularly organic meat.

11. tullepen

tullepen New Member

much healthier move on everyone's part,the higher prices are worth it.I buy only organic produce and try to buy it within my island's radius.sometimes that's hard!

12. tullepen

tullepen New Member

you could start with free range chicken. I don't know anything about it though because I haven't eaten meat in 12 years.Try fake meat, like veggie burgers.Amy's has good fake ones that have a meaty texture the All American Burger.I'll try to convince anyone to not to eat meat,there is nothing humane or sustainable about it.:cry:

13. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

The thing is some fake meats are not organic themselves.

14. tullepen

tullepen New Member

which brands are you talking about? I go to an organic store so they don't sell anything non organic.I hope...

15. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

Well in the US meats that are recognized as 100% organic have the USDA Organic sticker on it.

But you, assuming, live in Greece so you'll have to do research on how your country certifies organic meats.

I only know of one certification in Greece and it's called "Dio", which is the leading inspector of organic products in Greece.

^_^

16. tullepen

tullepen New Member

I think it's just safer and more humane not to eat meat.
    I found a lot of great organic products in the Netherlands this summer.There is great chain store called Natuur Winkel,oh gosh they have fantastic whole wheat biscuits covered in chocolate! MMMMMMMMM they don't have that much fresh produce though.But whole grains,dinners,CHOCOLATE,fantastic teas.It was wonderful!

17. Ryan Weld

Ryan Weld New Member

I'd rather buy fresh local produce than organic.

18. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

I'm pretty sure organic stores don't sell anything non-organic, but you'll want to ask just in case.

I know a lot of Morningstar products aren't organic certified. Boca Burgers use to not be organic, but I think they are now going organic or have already.
    You'll have to look for the USDA Organic seal for pre-packaged foods. Fresh vegetables/fruits usually don't have them so they're more iffy to deal with. But supermarkets aren't allowed to lie about it so you'll be safe to know the organic vegetables/fruits you're buying are actually organic.

;)

19. Leeroi

Leeroi New Member

Tullepen, I have to ask, what country are you from? I assumed US, so I apologize if you're not from the US.

20. tullepen

tullepen New Member

haha I am from the US but travel a lot.It's funny, in Croatia the fresh produce is so fantastic,no chemicals or bug spray on them.In the NY times, a Croatian farmer was quoted as saying, "what you call organic,we call food." It's so true! the tomatoes,cherries,spinach,lettuce,oranges,everything is so much fresher and has better taste then here.