Outlander (TV Series)

I finally managed to watch the second season, this show is so good. I wish there were already 10 seasons, so I'd have plenty to watch.
The ending was slightly a cliffhanger for me (I was hoping for a quick reunion between Claire and Jamie) but it is still a good ending. I loved how everything got lighter and brighter with the good news, even her face lit up :wub:
Now we wait for almost a year for a new season, reruns will have to do until then ^_^
Also they are nominated for a couple of Emmys, I hope they get them all.

I was rewatching some of the first season and was noticing some of the costumes. That got me to thinking that so far we've seen several different locations and time periods on the show, each with its own distinct look and atmosphere (pics from farfarawaysite.com)
1940's

1740's Scotland

1740's France

Continued in the next post

1960's

In the upcoming 3rd season we'll probably see some 1950's flashbacks and see the 1760's as well. I'm really curious as to how these different times and places are reflected in the costumes, which have all been very distinct and thoughtful so far.
(farfarawaysite.com)

Outlander’s Third Season: Everything We Know So Far

This past Saturday, Starz’s Outlander ended its exquisite second season with the drama’s most heartbreaking episode yet: “Dragonfly in Amber,” which left our time-traveling protagonists Jamie and Claire separated by two-odd centuries. Knowing this, and that Outlander withdrawal is upon us, we spoke to show-runner Ronald Moore and culled other recent Outlander interviews to determine what we can expect from the drama’s third season.

Gentle spoilers ahead about Outlander’s third-season premise and production.

The New Series Will Follow Diana Gabaldon’s Voyager Novel

The third novel in Gabaldon’s Outlander series tracks Claire as she returns to the 18th century to find Jamie after learning he survived the Battle of Culloden. Although Starz is shooting most of the new season in Scotland, the crew is also scouting tropical beaches and jungles for an exotic part of the story where . . .

Claire and Jamie Go to Sea

This prospect was so exciting that even before Outlander’s second season aired, Moore told fans that he was more excited for the drama’s third go-round because of its glittering azure backdrop—the West Indies—and the action involved in Gabaldon’s Voyager.

“I can’t wait to get out to sea,” Moore told CinemaBlend last summer. “I want to do the whole sea chase; that whole section is really going to be fun.” Moore also explained that the sophistication of present-day C.G.I. means that the sea sequences will be on par, quality-wise, with the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise.

“The technology now, between real ships like what they have in Black Sails and C.G., it’s now developed to a place where you can believe it,” Moore said. “It’s no longer just the models on the water tank at Paramount. Now you can really realize on a television budget what Pirates of the Caribbean was doing 8-10 years ago.”

Between the new backdrops and at-sea action sequences, Moore told us that the third season will look and feel drastically different from the first two iterations.

“The first two seasons of Outlander were really different from one another, and the third season is really different yet again,” explained Moore. “There’s more 20th-century stuff . . . more stuff in Scotland. There’s a big sea voyage in that book, which I’m really excited about, and it ends up in the Caribbean, in Jamaica. It’s like a whole different show once again.”

Producers Are Anticipating Season 3 for Another Reason, Too

Outlander executive producer Maril Davis added, “We’re so excited about doing Season 3 because for us [Dragonfly in Amber, the second book which was the basis for the show’s third season] was a difficult book to adapt . . . because so much happens to Claire and Jamie in Paris offscreen.”

With Voyager, however, Davis told Zap2it, “There’s so much great, creative, dramatic moments that happen with Jamie and his time post-Culloden. . . Then there’s Claire and Frank and Brianna, and the pain and the emotional journey [Claire] goes on having Frank raise a child that’s not his own. We’re so excited about it.”

Frank Might Get a Bit of Dark Backstory

When Davis spoke to Zap2it, she was not quite sure how closely the show will follow the book’s narrative in terms of Frank. But she teased that there is the possibility for some scandalous discoveries in terms of the character.

“There are certain things about Frank in Voyager that come out that he’s not so nice a guy,” Davis said of Claire’s first husband. “I don’t know if we’ll play those or not, because I think our Frank is a little different from book Frank.”

Say Goodbye to Certain Characters

Although adult Brianna had a large role in the Season 2 finale, Moore told us last week that the character will not play as much of a part in the show’s next season.

“She’s not as huge a presence in the third book as she will be in subsequent books, so you’ll get to see her and you’ll see Roger as well in Season 3. But the primary story is very much Claire and Jamie.”

Another character bowing out will be Black Jack Randall (Tobias Menzies). Moore told Entertainment Weekly, “Unfortunately, his role will come to an end relatively soon. It’s not over yet. We’ll still see him in Season Three. But other than occasional flashbacks to Frank or Jack, their story pretty much ends in [Voyager].”

Make Way for a New Breakout

When Claire finds Jamie, he is working alongside his nephew, Young Ian, who plays a pivotal role in Voyager and joins (or spurs) their adventures on land and at sea. Although the part has not yet been cast, Davis discussed her excitement about bringing the character to life on television.

“My favorite character, the one I’m most looking forward to but who I’m also most stressed about, is young Ian,” said Davis. “Young Ian is by far my favorite character besides Claire and Jamie. I just love him. For people who haven’t read the books, they don’t understand what a big character he becomes. He’s so beloved. But I don’t know who he is yet. I don’t know where we’re going to find him, because I do have a definite picture of him in my mind.”

Four New Writers Will Pitch In

Late last month, Roberts Tweeted that four new scribes will join him, Moore, Toni Graphia, and Anne Kenney in the writers room to hatch Outlander’s third season. The new additions are Luke Schelhaas (The Good Wife, Law & Order, Karen Campbell (Unforgettable, Dexter), Joy Blake (Outcast, Heroes), and Shannon Goss (ER, Revenge). Gabaldon, who might not be writing any episodes this season due to her work on the franchise’s ninth book, has said that she met the new writers and thought they “seem very bright and enthusiastic.”

Look to the Season 2 Finale for Clues

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Moore revealed why the final image from “Dragonfly in Amber” is significant.

“We really wanted to set up the promise of Season 3 with that shot,” Moore explained. “It turned out beautifully, having the show come full circle to Craigh na Dun once more, and the fate of the characters and the future of the story depends once more on traveling through those stones. It was a great opportunity to do something really visually powerful, and I love how it came out.”

Outlander May Return Sooner than You Think

Because Starz gave the show such an early third- (and fourth-) season pickup, Outlander producer Matt Roberts revealed last month that the cast and crew were able to start work on the new season earlier than they had been able to in the past.

“We haven’t stopped working, and we just went straight over from Season 2 to Season 3,” Roberts told The Hollywood Reporter, explaining that they had not even taken a proper hiatus. “We carried the writers’ room over, and a few people in Scotland continued to prep for next season. Outlander is a beast of a show to produce, so if we took a normal break, a regular hiatus like a normal show, we would already be behind. Now the fans can have it sooner than what they think. The Droughtlander won’t be as long as they expect.”

Last month, Moore revealed that filming will begin in late summer/early fall.
vanityfair.com

You're welcome! :smile:
I thought it was interesting too, especially about production so I at least know why they produce less episodes (even if they are an hour long). Anyway I can't wait for the new season, obviously ^_^

Outlander’s Sam Heughan on Why Season 3 Is “Like Having a Death in the Family”
It’s been just under four months since Outlander fans had to say good-bye to Claire and Jamie Fraser during the emotional Season 2 finale. But it’s also a long wait until the time-traveling, star-crossed couple returns to Starz for Season 3 next April. Thankfully, in the meantime, there’s a new Blu-ray edition of Season 2 out on Tuesday, November 1. And, for the true devotees to both the show and the Diana Gabaldon novels, there’s also a special Collector’s Edition that features an exclusive excerpt from the upcoming Outlander novel “Go Tell The Bees That I Am Gone.” Outlander star Sam Heughan took a break from his grueling 11-month shooting schedule to reflect back on Season 2 and give a preview of why Season 3 feels like “a different show.” (Hint: It has to do with him missing co-star Caitriona Balfe.)

Vanity Fair: After the overwhelmingly warm reception for Season 1, was there a particular fan reaction to Season 2 that you did not see coming?

Sam Heughan: I think the first half of the season set in France was quite complicated, and it certainly wasn't going back over the old ground of Season 1. I think we were very aware that the first season was this young relationship and about new love. We wanted to show something a bit more complicated [in Season 2]. I think fans were surprised. People tune in expecting the same show or the same sort of scenes and, yeah, I think we surprised fans with that.

I know you hear from fans who are put out or surprised by changes from the books. Was there any particular book aspect left out of Season 2 that you felt like fans were most hoping to see and didn’t?

Diana is all over this. I mean, I have constant e-mail updates, several times a day, about things she’s watched or things she’s read. We confer a lot, probably more than the producers want us to. There’s always going to be little details that will be missed because the show is only an hour-long episode each week. I know myself and Caitriona, we read the books and if we can sneak in a small detail that may not be in the script or even just that we know ourselves, that going from one scene to another, that something's happened in between that maybe we haven't been able to show, but at least we know it and, hopefully, in some way it manifests itself. Hopefully it’s all in Diana’s world. I know that she said herself that Season 2, especially at the start, was kind of complex and difficult to make into episodic TV.

There’s a behind-the-scenes feature on the Blu-ray of you, Caitriona, and Graham McTavish prepping for your big Season 2 fight scene. Can you tease anything about what fans might not know about how you prepare for combat?

Yeah, I mean, my God, the show is incredible. Not to give away much, but today, one minute I was on a horse riding across the Scottish countryside, and then I'm somewhere else in studio, and then I'm laying in a cot. But that particular Season 2 scene was very emotional. I absolutely loved doing a fight scene with Graham; I've always wanted to. He absolutely hated me fighting him. We actually shot several alternate endings to the fight because, obviously, in the book, Claire isn't complicit. We thought, Jamie and Claire are a couple and they need to be both guilty of this deed. It's not that Claire wants to kill anyone—she's not a killer, she's a hero—but she wants to aid Jamie and she basically ends up being complicit in the death of Dougal.

It was very funny because we were actually shooting a pick up on that and we didn't have Caitriona there at the time; it was actually a double's hands that are on the dagger. Graham was very wary of this double pushing too hard down on him that he might actually get stabbed. He was just this very hard man complaining that someone was pushing a fake dagger too hard on him.

Of course, with any Blu-ray, there are deleted scenes included here. Which deleted Season 2 scene were you most devastated not to see included in the original episodes?

There was one recently that was released on social media; it was the “Faith” scene. Certainly, from my perspective, you got to see a lot more of Jamie and his angst. I mean, he’s kind of not present for most of that episode. I think that's important, that's an important cut. We go on that journey with Claire and see her go through all the stages of grief and mourning and then some sort of brittle resolve. Almost, in a way, we didn't want the camera to blink from her. I think that’s what was decided. Watching Jamie also go through it, well, absolutely, it’s another side. I certainly know that I really felt very strong in that scene. I felt that it was a very awkward place for Jamie to be that will have some sort of repercussion—even now in Season 3. I don’t think Jamie or Claire get over the loss of Faith. I think it’s wonderful that the fans actually get to see a glimpse into some of the other work that we do that’s not always on the screen.

I’ve heard you say that, as opposed to Caitriona with her elaborate costumes, it only takes you five minutes to get into wardrobe when Jamie is wearing the kilt. But I was curious, since we’re going to jump forward several years in Season 3, if you have some extra time in makeup chair this year and if you can tell us anything about what older Jaime looks like?

I mean, I’m probably not allowed to say much, but I think we all know that the books do span a great amount of time. Season 3, in particular, yeah, I mean, there was an aging process. There was definitely a different look to the characters, but you’ll have to tune in to find out, I guess. But even in Season 1, I had hours and hours of prosthetic makeup whenever the back scarring was on or Jamie got shot or injured. By no means does that stop in Season 3 so, yes, there’s been a lot of very long days where I’ve been in makeup.

The end of Season 2 saw Claire back in her own timeline so I really don’t think it’s a spoiler to say that you filmed a good part of Season 3 without Caitriona. Since you two have been such close partners on this whole experience, what was it like to go on without her?

Yeah. Honestly, it’s like having a death in the family. Well, I don’t know, I mean, it’s just like a different show. It’s hard to separate yourself from the character. Jamie’s present, living in his world, and Claire’s present and living in her world, and they both believe the other is dead. It’s always hard when we’re apart, actually, because she’s a great person, great to come to work with, and a very good actress. But I think it all adds to the reunion—if there’s a reunion, or when there’s a reunion—well you know there’s one in the books. It should be very special.

Do you have a fondest memory from Season 2 that you’re excited for the fans to re-live via the Blu-ray?

Wow. Whoa, that's tough, I think—Paris was almost like another world and it was great fun—but for us getting back to Scotland, to Lallybroch, and then to having all the MacKenzies turn up, Graham McTavish as Dougal and Stephen Walters as Angus and all the others. It was so rewarding to be in Scotland with the wind and the rain and the cold and everyone was miserable but kind of happy because we were back and it felt like coming home. I think it’s a very sad ending because we all knew that people were going to die— that’s what history tells us—that's what Jamie and Claire are fighting to stop is the end of these people. So it’s a bittersweet return home to Scotland. In the back of your mind, you’re aware that it’s sort of coming to a close.
vanity fair

Season 3 will start in September, unfortunately not in April. :(

:huh: :shock:
Please please tell me you're joking, because I keep hoping it's only a couple of weeks till it starts? :shock:

Season 3 premieres on September 10th!
Here's a poster (outlander-online.com)

and a little teaser:

Is anyone still watching this? :lol:..

I wanted to start one of these obnoxiously long series I've never seen, hear everyone talk about (like Game of Thrones but.. I have my limits with fantasy) but always knew I'd never have the time. Well, time's all I have now it appears and I really put in some 50 hours into this last week and made from S1E1 to Season 4. It's clearly my full time job now.. or what I've been living for...

I'm now pretty much up to date, only a couple of episodes behind in Season 5 (google accidentally told me that Murtagh dies.. okay, Diana).. I don't know if it's the fact that I overdid this and became so saturated with Outlander in only 10 days or I'm just not into this American context versus Scotland but.. I just felt :meow: about most of Season 4 and what I've seen from Season 5.. if it's not 'let's pour honey into our chests as we make love surrounded by swans in this 18th century cottage' (really, this level of corniness- NO!.. what is this? 50 shades? twilight? give me a break), then it's 'let's take these maggots out of the liver of a LIVING person and once he's dead, let's peel off his skin and then go say hi to your husband covered in blood'.. when she had to deliver a baby while handling this nearly putrid man that's somehow endured gangrene FOR MONTHS, I knew I had it. Medicine Claire.. Claire producing penicillin, bringing her 20th century first aid kit 2 centuries earlier.. just had enough. And there are like 3 more books on this apparently.. and rumor has it, somewhere down the line, Claire marries Lord John Grey.. what? LOL. I'm jumping ship before my curiosity gets the best of me. /rantover.

I'm glad I gave it a chance though.. I loved Caitriona as a model, circa 2003, and always wondered if she was any good as an actress, and she is! :heart:

I'm glad I gave it a chance though.. I loved Caitriona as a model, circa 2003, and always wondered if she was any good as an actress, and she is! :heart:
Caitriona is a great actress, she is the perfect Claire. The actor who is playing Jamie is the opposite for me, he isn't Jamie and he isn't an great actor. I've read the books before the tv series started. The books have much more depth than the tv series. Some of the episodes were very good, but most of them were boring, lacking depth. After season 2 I stopped watching.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->