Perry Ellis

helena

Swim Upstream
Reaction score
I am interested to know what people think of the perry ellis collections recently - theres a new guy (whose name I have forgotten) desining for the label isn't there? I have only seen pictures of a few items in american magazines & it looked quite nice (although very preppy & american sportswear= slightly dull). What is the quality like? I also noticed that the prices were pretty cheap. I haven't seen the stuff in the UK...

perry ellis is a classic american sportswear label and they've gone back to their roots...patrick robinson is the designer you are thinking of...he also had a stint designing for Anne Klein during the 90's...he's very talented and is taking the label in a very sweet direction...the pricing is not 'designer' but more 'contemporary'...they are going mass market...dept store...they have gotten a lot of very positive press ...everything is very classic and the focus seems to be on separates... :flower:

not my style...but pretty for the country club set... :flower:

I haven't seen his stuff in Australia but I love what I have seen on the net or in o/s magazines. Very pretty and there's a lot of attention to detail. Anna Wintour is a huuuuge supporter of his I think (well, the amount of column inches he gets in US Vogue).

the fw04 collection was one of my fave staged shows for the season and the clothes were quite fresh, preppy but more towards vinatge .. not in a boring way

Thats what I thought of the few clothes I have seen. Not so different from Marc jacobs in a lot of ways. very classic american fashion. Not sure its really my thing but its interesting that there is a perception that the market can take another house producing that type of line. Perhaps it will work in the US but not sure that Europeans are so fond of the preppy look.

i lov Perry Ellis...they presented a wonderful fall collection and although i'm not well informed about the houses' history, they are now churning out beautiful garmets.

Originally posted by helena@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 7:32 am
Thats what I thought of the few clothes I have seen. Not so different from Marc jacobs in a lot of ways. very classic american fashion. Not sure its really my thing but its interesting that there is a perception that the market can take another house producing that type of line. Perhaps it will work in the US but not sure that Europeans are so fond of the preppy look.
i don't think there are any plans to market the brand outside the US...and the prices are a bit lower even than Marc...i believe it's doing quite well...

side note...patrick robinson is married to an editor at one of the american mags...can't remember which... :innocent:

thats really interesting - i only read two american magazines - Vogue & Bazaar. Was it one of them? I think its in Vogue taht I have seen the PE coverage in the past - fits if anna wintour likes it.

I had a look at the perry Ellis winter collection on-line but I couldn't see the pieces very clearly. Looked quite like Miss marple coats with girly floaty dresses....

Patrick has been getting so much press for Perry Ellis, the journalists are eating it up. The stuff is excellent, he so deserves it. The price points are lower than Marc, and the quality rivals the best bridge lines out there.

i agree funkydiva...he deserves it...the collection is very strong...

it's 50's retro in feel, but a bit more relaxed in fit and shape and often mixed with a sporty jacket...ie. a bomber or cargo...it looks fresh and modern and extremely wearable...seems like it would appeal to a wide market in terms of age and shape...

helena i-t's been featured in NY times mag, teen vogue...so i'm assuming vogue as well...

Originally posted by softgrey@Apr 23rd, 2004 - 5:52 pm
i agree funkydiva...he deserves it...the collection is very strong...

it's 50's retro in feel, but a bit more relaxed in fit and shape ...it looks fresh and modern and extremely wearable...seems like it would appeal to a wide market in terms of age and shape...

i absolutely agree, especially on

fresh and modern and extremely wearable

100123435.jpg
:heart:

here the FSlink from the Perry Ellis f/w04 topic :flower:

100123425.jpg

100123426.jpg

I adored his fall collection. It was so great -- presentation and all. I like how the look was an older, vintage, 50's look, but if you pull the pieces apart and take a look, they are modern. You can make them look any way you want. So you are not particularly stuck in that way. He has been nominated for Swarovski’s Perry Ellis Award for Ready-To-Wear by the CFDA. I hope he wins.

He is married to Virginia Smith of Vogue magazine. Here they are together.

Last edited by a moderator:
thx the sweetest...i couldn't remember who he was married to...that's a very cute pic...i think they just had a baby, no?... :flower:

**aside-isn't that a vuitton bag from the fall collection she's carrying?!?!... :woot:

Here's something new. How often do we get to see disagreement where the point of contention is crystal clear?

WWDFriday June 11, 2004
A Feud at Perry Ellis

By Eric Wilson

NEW YORK — Patrick Robinson is at odds with Public Clothing Co. over the direction of the Perry Ellis women’s line and the cancellation of its spring show.

While Robinson has earned rave reviews for his first two collections for the brand, a disagreement between the designer and the company that manufactures the collection over its fashion direction is threatening to end their relationship, according to sources familiar with the situation. The company has also canceled the spring 2005 fashion week presentation of Robinson’s collection for Perry Ellis, which would have occurred in September, they said.

Perry Ellis International relaunched the women’s better-priced sportswear collection in 2002 through a licensing deal with Public Clothing Co. In April 2003, Robinson was hired to revamp the look of the collection and has to a large degree succeeded, earning a nomination for the Swarovski’s Perry Ellis Award at the Council of Fashion Designers of America Fashion Awards this week. The award went to Zac Posen.

Reached on Thursday, Robinson said, “I sincerely hope we will continue this very successful relationship I have had with Perry Ellis International and Public Clothing Co. I truly believe we are all working toward one goal, which is to build a very strong women’s wear business. But over the next week I am in the process of negotiating with them what my future role is with the company.”

PEI and Public Clothing have invested millions of dollars in the relaunch of Perry Ellis women’s, a landmark label of sportswear in the Eighties and where Marc Jacobs designed until 1993, when the line was discontinued. Robinson’s spring and fall 2004 collections were shown in still-life presentations at Bryant Park in New York and were praised for a fresh and playful approach that mixed tweed with plaid and leather in a way that recalled the work of the late designer.

However, Robinson’s designs have a more contemporary approach than is customary in the better market, and that appears to be the crux of the debate currently playing out at the company. Robinson is said to be facing pressure from PEI and Public Clothing to take the collection in a more classic and commercial direction to compete in the better market with labels like Lauren Ralph Lauren, rather than in the contemporary realm of Marc by Marc Jacobs, and is said to be looking to win more control of the oversight of the collection.

Dan Shamdasani, chief executive officer of Public Clothing Co., declined to comment on the company’s aspirations for the collection, or its plans for spring.

“We are speaking to Patrick about an enhanced role at the company,” Shamdasani said.

A spokesman for PEI, which produces its own men’s wear under the creative direction of Jerry Kaye, declined to comment.

Although the negotiations remain unresolved, Robinson is said to have become increasingly frustrated since the departure of Elissa Bromer, who was president of the Perry Ellis women’s division, from Public Clothing Co. in December. She became group president at Donnkenny, where she is working on the launch of a licensed Nicole Miller better sportswear line.

Public Clothing has projected a $100 million volume for the Perry Ellis line, although its performance over the last year is unclear, and other companies, like Kellwood Co. through its Goodman Group, the previous licensee, have not been able to market the brand with much success in women’s wear.

While a number of stores like Henri Bendel and Selfridges have offered anecdotal evidence of strong sales of fashion looks like trenchcoats and tweed jackets, the performance of Perry Ellis at high-volume doors in department stores has remained unclear. In its first season under Public Clothing the line was designed by Niovi Forbes, but she was replaced by Robinson shortly thereafter.

So, essentially, they want him to design down? I don't quite understand...they need to keep that consistent vision, they're pretending as if the brand even had a good reputation anymore. He's brought it up out of the dust, in the spirit, even, of Marc Jacobs who previously designed for the line. I was at the show and I have to say, it seemed so easy, so effortless, so simple and yet not something you just took off a rack in middle America for no other reason other than that it was there and on sale...

I cannot believe that they canceled his shows...it almost makes me feel that it's better for designers just to do their own thing, once a designer is dead or on holiday or whatever, let his or her line go too.

when I first saw his collections, I immediately thought MJ. Which is not really a bad thing, since I'm a fan of MJ.

It sucks that they're already in disagreement with the way its moving, which is understandable since its really all about business. Hopefully it'll be resolved or at least, he can start something on his own.

FASHION NET NEWS
| http://www.fashion.net
|
| Week of Monday, June 14, 2004

Fashion Feud at Perry Ellis

You'd think that when a fusty old label is revived by a talented
young designer who gets rave reviews, everybody should be happy
and content. But unfortunately, that's rarely the case. The latest
corporate fashion feud is Perry Ellis designer Patrick Robinson vs.
Public Clothing Co. Apparently, the company is unhappy with the
direction of the Perry Ellis women's line, which they don't see as
commercial enough. As a result, the spring runway show, which would
have been shown in September, has been cancelled. Unfortunately, it
probably doesn't help Robinson's cause that he didn't win CFDA's
emerging talent award he was nominated for last week, which
instead went to Zac Posen.

WHAT!!!!... :huh: ...they cancelled the show!!!??!?!.................that's huge....hasn't the stuff been selling?!...i thought everbody loved it....and if it's not selling..that's probably because nothing is....and the contemporary market is completely oversaturated...

they should let him go more high end....the perry ellis brand could take over the american fashion scene...it still has a lot of prestige asssociated with it...and everyone is really rooting for patrick so he'd get a lot of editorial exposure...

and of course zac won...because perry ellis isn't design-y enough....it's too mainstream and classic...i say get out of the way and let the boy do his thing!!!

why don't business people ever understand or respect fashion people...the neverending conundrum... :rolleyes:

thx stylegurrl.... :heart:

What?!?!
I thought he was doing a great job and that the product was performing well at retail. What direction would they like to see him take and still stay affordable. I completely agree with Softie that it could be taken higher and become a household name...again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barakz12
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->