Laura Kim & Fernando Garcia - Desginers, Co-Creative Directors of Oscar de la Renta

IndigoHomme

Reaction score
Vogue Runway has drop the bomb in twitter... more details to come

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter Copping is leaving his post as creative director of Oscar de la Renta, BoF has learned.

“After almost two years at Oscar de la Renta, personal circumstances require me to return to Europe. I have loved my time in New York where I hope to return at some point in the future,” Copping said in a statement.

“We have always been in the business of creating beautiful clothes,” said CEO Alex Bolen. “and two of our greatest assets are our design studio and atelier. Our team will continue to work on next season’s collection with a keen focus on the level of sophistication and craftsmanship that are the hallmarks of the house. We wish Peter well in his future endeavors.”

A replacement for Copping was not named.

BoF will update this story as it develops.

vía BoF → https://www.businessoffashion.com/a...eaking-peter-copping-out-at-oscar-de-la-renta

I'm kind of over all this drama. This is making the entire industry look out of touch with the real world. Why can't they just close a house when a designer dies or leaves? You'll never get another Oscar dress. Pay respect and move on. The only way this industry can remain relevant is to support and develop young talent, not asking young talent to continuously reinvent old houses.

Oscar de la Renta is the kind of house that can't go on with the same power without his creator. I don't remember when was the last time that I saw a celebrity using something from this house.
Anyway, the things are changing in fashion and this is good, let's see what gonna happen after all this switches..

Yes Haydn!
They should just close the brand. They don't have a big business and while Oscar was a very talented and important designer, it doesn't really make sense to continue the business....even more now that the designer he choosed steps down.

We have enough big brands in the world for their retailer staff to work for and for the Atelier, they have established designers like J. Mendel.
American fashion doesn't deserve another "Halston-mess".

I'm not following this brand that much, but really no one's wearing OdlR? I thought it's still a darling to movie premieres and so on.
Anyway, it's jaw dropping, I couldn't think of a better designer for the brand at all. Sad he's leaving.

Ok, this is not the kind of Fashion that I look forward every season but I'm surprised. Wasn't He the chosen one by Oscar himself ? I agree that this Brand could die worthily but I guess They have a strong clientele among aristocrats, diplomats and such people

Good. It was horrible anyways. It just kept getting worse and worse. He sucked the fun out of ODLR, it was just depressing towards the end. ODLR was vibrant and fun, it needs someone like that to take over. Good luck!

Oh my God, I really liked Peter at ODLR. His collections were always so feminine and classy yet they had a modern twist. I thought he was so passionate about Oscar's legacy but I somehow understand his decision because it's one of the most limiting houses imho- it has very specific, strong image and that bridal line, I mean someone has to design that, too. I hope he'll show us something special again soon.

I'm kind of over all this drama. This is making the entire industry look out of touch with the real world. Why can't they just close a house when a designer dies or leaves? You'll never get another Oscar dress. Pay respect and move on. The only way this industry can remain relevant is to support and develop young talent, not asking young talent to continuously reinvent old houses.

I think it is easier said than done since these brands have immense values with years and years of marketing investments ploughed in.

If by getting another designer to do the "same" job and i can still money for a good many year from it, why not? The designer, is just but part of the Human Resource Pay Roll.

A large part is still money speaks, whether we like it or not. Fashion is still but a business, outside of the glitz and glamour.

I think it is easier said than done since these brands have immense values with years and years of marketing investments ploughed in.

If by getting another designer to do the "same" job and i can still money for a good many year from it, why not? The designer, is just but part of the Human Resource Pay Roll.

A large part is still money speaks, whether we like it or not. Fashion is still but a business, outside of the glitz and glamour.

Right.
I think they will find designer.
As George5 wrote yet : "They have a strong clientele among aristocrats, diplomats and such people"
The First Ladies are wearing de la Renta.

I hope "personal circumstances" doesn't mean something's wrong with him or his loved ones.

He did a good job at ODLR, especially his campaigns were always stunning! Wonder what he will do next and who's going to get this job.

I am deeply saddened by this - not particularly the news about Copping leaving Oscar de la Renta, but by what's happening in general. Of course "personal circumstances" can be challenging, but surely a man who works for a large luxury brand and was chosen by the late designer himself could have at least tried to find a way to work from Europe? It wouldn't have been the first time - a lot of designers travel 24/7 from one city or continent to another.

Which brings me to my point: It seems that designers and CEOs nowadays don't even try to fix what is broken. The easiest way to deal with a less than desirable situation is to simply part ways, which is fine - but brands are left without an identity and designers are left with mediocre stints which are so short that they can't even allow them to find their voice. It's really a sad, sad situation if you ask me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I knew this would happen sooner or later, his show's haven't been hitting the mark. I hope they find a suitable replacement soon.

I hope "personal circumstances" doesn't mean something's wrong with him or his loved ones.

He did a good job at ODLR, especially his campaigns were always stunning! Wonder what he will do next and who's going to get this job.

Must be! But in normal circumstances you just take a leave of absence, no? And 'with immediate effect'.....which means they don't even have a replacement, I'm sure. What went down for him to depart like this????

I also don't believe the theory that ODLR lost it's usefulness. It wasn't the type of brand which relied on celebrities to stay afloat to begin with. It is more of an institution amongst the global debutante set (Americans, Euros, Russians), more than Chanel or Dior or whatever. And their loyalty is infallible. These are the type of women who would go for ODLR just because her grandmother did so as well.
But I'll agree that the clothes became synonymous with the man, and it ultimately needed a showman type of designer who could distract from Oscar's ghost. Think Galliano.

This. I couldn't agree more. It's funny how fashion is now all about youth yet there is not enough support for young talents, not only designers, but also photographers for instance.

By the way, I'm sad about the news because I think Peter did a good job. I hope he has a great future ahead.

Yes Haydn!
They should just close the brand. They don't have a big business and while Oscar was a very talented and important designer, it doesn't really make sense to continue the business....even more now that the designer he choosed steps down.

We have enough big brands in the world for their retailer staff to work for and for the Atelier, they have established designers like J. Mendel.
American fashion doesn't deserve another "Halston-mess".
Don't have a big business? What are you talking about, its an amazing business, that turns great profit! No way should they close it! How easy to just say; "close it", how about hundreds of people working there? We all know they can't just move on to J.Mendel.etc How about an established client base, and carved out retail market that has been working like a clock work for the last 40 YEARS. A house like Oscar's is Iconic, and should not be closed because the new creative director quits.

No one EVER asked Peter to "reinvent an old house" , but to continue the legacy, and demand for the Oscar look, which his clients, and plenty of casual ones, still desire. And maybe, even, evolve it. So this is more about getting the right person to step in, and do good collections for that particular market. Someone who won't bail after only two years. And of course that is easier said than done, brands like this earned their place at the table, and should go on as long as there is a demand for it. And this is so far from being anywhere near the "Halston mess"......

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnyboy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->