Laura Kim & Fernando Garcia - Desginers, Co-Creative Directors of Oscar de la Renta

This sounds like a very very strange idea, but we will see how it works as it unfolds. I will say their return to OdlR has done wonders for Monse because despite all these outlets reporting how hot the brand is I, nor anyone I know, ever heard of it. I can only imagine combining the shows will raise the brand's profile even more.
It's a SUPER weird idea, especially because Monse is more like subversive fashion while OdlR is classic elegance. Strange is an understatement. Monse could have done great things for Helmut Lang or Maison Margiela a few years ago. Nowadays, they're just bland, like any other brand that seemed interesting in their beginnings during the past years.

I like how raw this documentary is... at the same time, both designers are not clueless, they just don't care about the seasonal theme or concept at all
It is just a bunch of beautiful random stuff one after another, there is no storytelling, it is just merchandise here and they try to style it together at the end
The same goes with Brandon Maxwell but at least 'sometimes' Wes Gordon would have a decent theme

I like how raw this documentary is... at the same time, both designers are not clueless, they just don't care about the seasonal theme or concept at all
It is just a bunch of beautiful random stuff one after another, there is no storytelling, it is just merchandise here and they try to style it together at the end
The same goes with Brandon Maxwell but at least 'sometimes' Wes Gordon would have a decent theme

I think it’s alright that each of these developments starts off as something we as observers see as separate stories coming closer together eventually, not as a homogenous whole but a collection consisting of strong individual pieces that are not meant to be worn in a mish-mashed styling - At Dries Van Noten, they might be a bit more eclectic at that, but Oscar de la Renta is a more classical brand at it’s core, therefor creating a too eclectic mix and too conceptual following of the process would probably mislead the end result to be commercially understandable.

That being said, I think they do great delivering high-class ready to wear that’s classical and bourgie as Oscar de la Renta should look like, adding just enough modernity by means of interesting fabric and embroidery work. Their personal taste level does not always match with mine and in most cases they add a little detail here and there (like a leather flower on those woven leather pieces) that deviate from the purity of the design, but I can totally appreciate the sophistication and accomplishment of it all.

I don't think Laura is not pleasant, she's just very straight to the point which can comes up as a little bit curt. But I agree with a lot of things that she said. I think she's more practical compared to Fernando who is more like the "dreamer" of the duo. She's kinda funny too :lol::lol:

anyway, what happened between Odlr and Vogue? I went to Vogue Runway to check their collections and the last collection they uploaded is Resort 2023. Is there a Celine situation going on that I'm not aware about?

anyway, what happened between Odlr and Vogue? I went to Vogue Runway to check their collections and the last collection they uploaded is Resort 2023. Is there a Celine situation going on that I'm not aware about?
Yes and no. The gist of it is that they shifted to a customer-centric strategy during the pandemic and stopped doing shows and presentations for the press.

Yes and no. The gist of it is that they shifted to a customer-centric strategy during the pandemic and stopped doing shows and presentations for the press.
That´s a cool way of saying "Anna hate us"...!

That´s a cool way of saying "Anna hate us"...!

Lauren Sanchez wore Odlr to this year's MET Gala. I'm pretty sure Anna connected her to them, so I don't think Anna hates them.

But it's kinda weird that they cut off press completely. I have no idea that they have runway show for their resort 2025 collection (Their first runway in so many years) because Vogue didn't cover it. They can do costumer centric strategy while still doing press for their newest collection no?

Lauren Sanchez wore Odlr to this year's MET Gala. I'm pretty sure Anna connected her to them, so I don't think Anna hates them.

But it's kinda weird that they cut off press completely. I have no idea that they have runway show for their resort 2025 collection (Their first runway in so many years) because Vogue didn't cover it. They can do costumer centric strategy while still doing press for their newest collection no?
According to Forbes, these were his exact words:
Bolen’s response highlighted a significant change in Oscar de la Renta’s media strategy: “I don’t much see the point of engaging with the fashion press when they require a different show than what we require to bring to our customers,” he told her. “I don’t know that having the press advances our business interest. We don’t really engage with magazines at this point. We don’t have editors in to try to convince them to pull clothes. It’s not our priority. We want to focus on our customers and inspire them to buy.”
The context was that Vanessa Friedmann saw clips of the RE25 show on social media and asked Bolen why she wasn't invited.

As far as press/PR is concerned, I think they invested very well in the documentary of their pre-fall collection - As a customer, you get a much better understanding of the lengthy, artisanal process the design of their collections go through, it totally delivers a level of intricacy and idealistic value for the customer that exceeds that of mere prestige. Even if I’m not the target customer for the Oscar de la Renta brand, I feel more compelled to follow it more from now on!

The film itself was produced in such an unfiltered way so that anyone can enjoy watching the process without feeling like you were just exposed to a one-hour advertisement for the Oscar de la Renta brand - I like it a lot better than any of the films featuring Maria Grazia’s Dior or Gucci’s tragic attempt to promote their failed creative director.

I just saw the documentary and thought it was really lovely. Unfortunately, it also made me realise that as talented and creative as they are, Laura and Fernando lack taste. They don't have what it takes to elevate the brand, or to make super desirable clothes.

I still think they are not CD-level. Laura seems to be more practical and perhaps took care of daywear more while Fernando have eye and skills for evening and skilled pieces. If looking back at most custom-red carpet videos it's always Fernando doing it. I think both of them can balance the act buy they need a strong creative direction that is more than making beautiful clothes.

I still think they are not CD-level. Laura seems to be more practical and perhaps took care of daywear more while Fernando have eye and skills for evening and skilled pieces. If looking back at most custom-red carpet videos it's always Fernando doing it. I think both of them can balance the act buy they need a strong creative direction that is more than making beautiful clothes.
Kinda like MGC and PPP, I miss their Valentino days, it was a good balance

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnyboy
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->