Peter Hawkings - Designer

The "John Doe for Brand" actually makes sense to me in a lot of ways. It's certainly not new. It makes sense to give a credit like that, but it's obviously something that has to be worked out in advance and not introduced out of nowhere? Wouldn't it make actual sense for Tom Ford anyway, to notify "the commoners" (lol) that Tom Ford is still around as a brand, but not as a designer. (Maybe I find it helpful, because I like knowing who designed what without doing too much research in vintage magazines :lol:)

^^^ …Maybe— just maybe his request got lost in translation…??? Maybe his request was not for the branding and on the label, but simply that whenever a publication pulls from the brand, that it’s credited as TOM FORD by Peter Hawkins, in the same way that credits now read as Saint Laurent by Anthony Vaccerallo and Louis Vuitton by Nicolas Ghesquiere, but the branding and label remains just the namesake? That seems to be more reasonable of a request.

I’m sorry what 😭is it just me or are none of these good enough reasons to fire him.💀

They should have given him more time. Period.

Well, I've just seen the new TF Spring/Summer 2025 menswear "look book" and, I must admit, very impressed with what's coming. Some decent new pieces, upgrades on existing pieces and excellent colour palette - sharp pinks, sharp light blues, extension of military green (from AW24) and the usual off-white/cream.

I's perplexed me even further why they decided Peter Hawkings wasn't the right fit!

It’s terrible that Zegna is managing it. If you want your brand to go bankrupt you just hand it to them.

I have a soft spot for Peter. I even love his name.

Well, I've just seen the new TF Spring/Summer 2025 menswear "look book" and, I must admit, very impressed with what's coming. Some decent new pieces, upgrades on existing pieces and excellent colour palette - sharp pinks, sharp light blues, extension of military green (from AW24) and the usual off-white/cream.

I's perplexed me even further why they decided Peter Hawkings wasn't the right fit!
Show us! 🔪🔪🔪
^^^ …Maybe— just maybe his request got lost in translation…??? Maybe his request was not for the branding and on the label, but simply that whenever a publication pulls from the brand, that it’s credited as TOM FORD by Peter Hawkins, in the same way that credits now read as Saint Laurent by Anthony Vaccerallo and Louis Vuitton by Nicolas Ghesquiere, but the branding and label remains just the namesake? That seems to be more reasonable of a request.
That makes so much more sense, especially because a lot of people on social media still think that Tom Ford is at the helm. In reality, it probably would've a something like this:
IMG_20240806_223748.jpg
Peter Hawking's name would've most likely been added as a subheading for the digital content, while the branding on the products and storefronts remain untouched.

*image is a screencap from the official runway video

It’s terrible that Zegna is managing it. If you want your brand to go bankrupt you just hand it to them.

I have a soft spot for Peter. I even love his name.
I don't know Zegna too well, so I'm interested in why you say that. Funny enough, TF's other option would've been the abyss that is Kering.

This drama is very:

Mujer_blanca_soltera_busca-376550877-large.jpg

"Tom´s new designer
is about to borrow
a few things
without asking.

His clothes.
His brand.
His name."

filmaffinity.com/

His wife must be crushed. She was Tom’s assistant at Gucci and worked for him for 20 years.

Imagine you and your partner being loyal to a man and entreprise for decades only to end in this humiliating break up.

Do they mean crediting? Why is it such a sore point when it’s mostly used in magazines? Riccardo allegedly missed out on Versace because he insisted on ‘Versace by Riccardo Tisci’ as he had on Givenchy. Hedi of course is insistent on this and so is Anthony at YSL. They’re the two I know still doing it.

Tom himself had ‘Tom Ford for Gucci’ and ‘Tom Ford for Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche’ in magazines.

His wife must be crushed. She was Tom’s assistant at Gucci and worked for him for 20 years.
I believe that she was the one behind the developement of the "Black Orchid" flowers for his debut perfume.
I'd be more crushed by having such a flop husband with ego bigger than his brain.
I'd be more crushed that my personal style served as inspiration for said flop. I just know she's burning her entire wardrobe after this.

The Zegna brand itself is on the rise, as never before. Thom Browne has been doing well so far... I think the problem is really about Peter, and like everyone say, he needs to have more time to prove himself ( tho time is a luxury for any new CD in today fashion scence )

Her company may still work with the brand.
I think it’s fair to require to be credited for a brand when you come as an established designer or when you have made your marks in the brand.

In all the examples mentioned, nobody who wasn’t established got credited as « such brand by ».
Even Hedi Slimane wasn’t credited the first time at YSL and the same for Alber. Nicolas became credited by Balenciaga once the brand was sold to PPR.

The problem is that maybe that Peter went too fast in his desire while not having proved himself as a strong womenswear designer and creative director for the brand. And it may have hurt his leadership at the brand.

Some people from the LA womenswear team are still involved like the jewelry designer.

Anthony Vaccarello rebranding and cachet at Saint Laurent changed once he did the collection with the latex leggings. That’s when the critical success matched the commercial success. From then, his status was indisputable in the company. He wasn’t just the replacement of Hedi Slimane.

I think Peter is a capable and skilled designer, but maybe being at a brand like Tom Ford can be overwhelming…Because it’s a name that is part of fashion history. There’s a pressure to do more than nice merchandise.

I personally think that Peter could be great for Dunhill, for Brioni, even for Berluti or Belstaff. Maybe something that allows him to get out of the Tom Ford universe.

It’s the same problem Faccinetti faced when she took over Gucci. John Ray however managed the menswear perfectly.

However, Stefano, with all his ego, was much more persistent in letting his voice be heard to be in rupture with Tom. And he had the desire to be accepted by Bergé. Tom only had the support of Betty Catroux.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pablosoto
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->