Phoebe Philo - Designer

I think she is targeting the 1% of the 1% on some products.
I find her prices in Dollars much more insane than they are in Euros. The range in Euros can speak to an average fashion/luxury customer like me.

I think a lot of people here (me included) are an average luxury costumer (though I admittedly rarely buy anything nowadays), yet a lot of the prices are blown out of proportion (in Euros too!). Paying 5k for a bomber jacket is in no way meant for the average luxury consumer as well as many other items there. Some years ago, nobody was paying even 3k for a Loewe or even Dior bag, but PP amongst others are pricing their bags even more expensive than what a Birkin was at that time. It's crazy! Some of the things on her site are priced relatively 'normal', but how detailed and well-crafted are they? They aren't. Prices are simply not justifiable, no matter how much of an investment on a 'timeless' item people think they are making.

Jil Sander's prices are more of a good example of what speaks to an average fashion/luxury costumer. They are more reasonable even including inflation.

I feel like Philo is cashing in her previous success at Celine, otherwise there's no way she can ask for these price given the fact her brand (the presentation, the marketing, the customer experience…) is just not as attractive and aspirational as the old Celine. It is more like an elevated Supreme to me. Or maybe she should begin doing shows for the incoming seasons.

Pricing is part of the halo effect at every luxury brand even for jewelry and timepieces its part of the brand design aura etc , no luxury or fashion brand has justifiable prices to be frank.

Cost and quality sadly is not in relation to price but desire and myth making.

If the price is off, the brand will correct its pricing/reposition itself,if the market says so.

Absolutely agree that ingenreal all prices have gone up also for travel and restaurants etc etc greed plays allot into it once company get away with asking more habit is to keep edg for more out of customers.

I think if PP prices would have been lower or excepted the response would have been the same because either you love the brand or project or not, and it's just too early to say what it is, even if its seems familiar it's only been a look book and drop online basically nothing else.

I think the notion should be more what one is willing to pay for something and find what brands suit their own idea of style versus quality and pricing, instead of expecting brands especial luxury ones to adhere to owns spending tresch hold ....but we humans love to find the solution outside of our own ( I don't mean it bad just the natural tendency of our humankind, we want our brands we trust and believe in solve things for us even if its a luxury brand, much like replacing religion and community, father or mother figures etc the answer must be out there. )

Last edited:
im sorry its canvas how is it fragile? you can get one from ll bean that will last a lifetime. the color is parchment, not the fabric.

im sorry its canvas how is it fragile? you can get one from ll bean that will last a lifetime. the color is parchment, not the fabric.
My mistake, it's not disposable then but anyway $7,200 for canvas makes it worse. That's $100 in fabric , $100 in leather, $100 in labor (if we are way more generous than Dior), so $300 max.

1720983070859.png
I think her stylised could have tailored her pants a bit more loose at thighs with a size up, but for a conference on a average day it's fine she must be happy having her weight under control love that for her!!!! but its nice to see women with real curves wear design & high fashion and piss people off :-)

again the reality of who can wear high fashion as if its uniqlo on a average work day , versus the projected ideal bodies and appearances in fashion shows /ads and magazines etc

My mistake, it's not disposable then but anyway $7,200 for canvas makes it worse. That's $100 in fabric , $100 in leather, $100 in labor (if we are way more generous than Dior), so $300 max.
honestly i like the bag in canvas the most as it like a LL bean tote with the intention that it gets f up like a hermes travel garden party bag ...now you making me reconsider buying it again as i tried to forget about that bag or i wait for sale if there will be one lol

Oprah is another case of a brand wearing a celebrity; instead of a celebrity wearing a brand (as it must be).

Pricing is part of the halo effect at every luxury brand even for jewelry and timepieces its part of the brand design aura etc , no luxury or fashion brand has justifiable prices to be frank.

Cost and quality sadly is not in relation to price but desire and myth making.

If the price is off, the brand will correct its pricing/reposition itself,if the market says so.

Absolutely agree that ingenreal all prices have gone up also for travel and restaurants etc etc greed plays allot into it once company get away with asking more habit is to keep edg for more out of customers.

I think if PP prices would have been lower or excepted the response would have been the same because either you love the brand or project or not, and it's just too early to say what it is, even if its seems familiar it's only been a look book and drop online basically nothing else.
I agree, but pricing is seldom the only part of that halo. If that were the case, then most brands would've happily shifted to a nameless design team model after their founders moved on.

Oprah is another case of a brand wearing a celebrity; instead of a celebrity wearing a brand (as it must be).
It's a white pants with a band across the knees i don't see how much Phoebe this is wearing her other than just a funky white pants ...the balance you mentioned is the ideal of course but not only celebrities but with most identifiable designs/items of brands you get this that you see the brand over take ( let's say clout once judgment of the rest of the look ) the person wearing it.

style is not something cultivated as much anymore it been overtaken by trends and esthetics adoption.

i think people are more upset because she is not the typical Phoebe or high fashion body and face

Last edited:
I actually think Oprah looks great. Ozempic’s done wonders for her, she looks active and not familiar with her pre-weight loss style but I’m sure she’s happy to be able to experiment a little bit more. White, esp white satin and high-waisted white pants, is so gross and what nightmares are made of so.. she looks great considering..

I agree, but pricing is seldom the only part of that halo. If that were the case, then most brands would've happily shifted to a nameless design team model after their founders moved on.
Oh totally not the only thing agree, just makes a part of the pie as i mentioned brand, design (look and technical ability of brand/craft), aura (history, story telling,prestige, reputation)

even made in ..... counts as part of that halo pie

I really don't think the prices for her bags should be more than Brunello Cucinelli. Right now they sort of are. You can't convince me the Phoebe Philo team are spending more on their leathers and materials than Brunello (on equivalent size bags).

I’m not up in arms about the prices because you have socialites like Gabriela Hearst who came out the gate charging premium. Like Phoebe said, its a jacket and a pair of trousers—you either like it or you don’t. Some will buy it, most won’t. I still think the brand is fabulous (aside from the yeti coat) and I’m interested in seeing her growth.

It's a white pants with a band across the knees i don't see how much Phoebe this is wearing her other than just a funky white pants ...the balance you mentioned is the ideal of course but not only celebrities but with most identifiable designs/items of brands you get this that you see the brand over take ( let's say clout once judgment of the rest of the look ) the person wearing it.

style is not something cultivated as much anymore it been overtaken by trends and esthetics adoption.

i think people are more upset because she is not the typical Phoebe or high fashion body and face
For me, that look is eating Oprah alive!

This part.

I guess one of the reason for that high price is she dragged launching too much. I heard that she started again her collections few times from the scratch, and it postponed her brand launching maybe 2 or 3 years than initially expected. Therefore, she should have kept her employees for 2 or 3 years without any result. (She hired really a lot of people considering the average size of designer brand in London) It would have costed really a lot of money.

I believe positioning her brand on that price really hepled her brand makes profitable at least in short term. We will see how it will affect on long term.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->