Pinhole cams!

:shock: is it the dark thing near the bottom that is your sister?
that's so weird! ..i'm amazed that the photo came out like that

Hahaha, Yep, it is!!! You can kind of see the shape of a face and neck looking up, and then you can see her hair, her coat, and mayyyybe one of her legs.. that's where it gets a little confusing! She has her hands in her pockets if that helps make it clearer to see :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome shots? I just got a few shots developed, some were pretty bad, WAY over exposed. But I couple came out golden, I'll get them out eventually. I need to fabricate a wooden one, I fell in love with a 4x5 recently that holds 4x5" Polaroid backs.

I made this damn thing for about $4. It's a 'Special Moments' camera I got at the Dollar Tree for a buck. The can of malt liquor I sliced was about $2.69. I slightly dented the aluminum with a sewing needle, then sanded the hole open with an emery board. I superglued the piece where the shutter used to be and taped a business card to the front.

These are from the fable Bonneville Salt Flats, I liked how my friend was walking back towards the camera in the last shot and it totally ghosted him. Viewed in a row it looks like a ghost that became self-conscious and disappeared.

^ Click them, they grow.

Film was Kodak 400 I believe and I counted off a second in my head.

Absolutely Amazing Fbm!!!!!! I love them!

I've never made a pinhole cam out of an actual camera.... Do you know if it would be possible to make one out of a disposable camera?

Here's another one I took for a school project.... it didn't turn out how I wanted it to but I think it captures the atmosphere that I wanted!
Picture1-5.png

I've never made a pinhole cam out of an actual camera.... Do you know if it would be possible to make one out of a disposable camera?
I wonder if it was possible to remove the lens/objective of a SLR camera (in my case a Nikon F55) and put a can with a tiny hole onto the shutter :unsure: would that make any sense? :ermm:

^i hear that's how fbm does it :ermm:

love the new photos :woot:
i see there's some words at the top of your last photo, fbm. pretty cool!/weird
soscalls did you shoot yours in the dark? i wonder how long that would have taken to expose. i think it's cool too

i'm just waiting for the sun to come out here..
i don't really know yet what i'm gonna use as a darkroom
the bathroom has a window... i guess i could duct tape it shut :doh: hope i don't rip the wall paint--mother will kill me

Nope, I haven't used an SLR yet. The easiest way to pull that off is to get a pinhole body cap. It's a body cover that has a pinhole drilled in it and you just put the camera on bulb and you're set.

http://www.holgamods.com/eospinhole/

The words on the pictures were the text on a business card I used for a shutter. The card was white and the text bled through. I liked the effect, happy mistakes are my friend.

Nope, I haven't used an SLR yet. The easiest way to pull that off is to get a pinhole body cap. It's a body cover that has a pinhole drilled in it and you just put the camera on bulb and you're set.

http://www.holgamods.com/eospinhole/

The words on the pictures were the text on a business card I used for a shutter. The card was white and the text bled through. I liked the effect, happy mistakes are my friend.
Thanks for the tip! :flower:

I went for it and converted a cheap single use disposable camera into a pinhole camera!!!!!!

It's pretty cool because I've only done them in b&w before, and I've always had to develop them one at a time in a darkroom, so this is more convenient!

It was really kind of frustrating to do, and I'm still working out some of the kinks, but I did a test roll of film and IT WORKED so I was really happy :D

^sounds great! I hope you will post the photos :shifty:

I really want to get started on this, but I have neither time nor a can :rofl:

Bump! Bump! Bump!

I'm actually getting college credit for an experimental photo class where the focus is on pinholes and toy cameras. The teacher got in touch with Randy form holgamods.com and ended up scoring us Holga bodies without lenses for $1 each I scored two and proceeded to buy a couple tall boys for donor lenses.

As soon as I work out some computer issues I'll get up some pictures of the camera and the first few test shots from it.

EDIT: I'm also working on a 4x5 pinhole that uses professional Polaroid film holders and uses a paint can for the body. :unsure:

I had a look on ebay because your thread here made me interested (and because I'm too lazy to build one myself) unfortunately the sellers wouldn't sell outside of the states..

Try Freestyle Photo out of Hollywood, CA, USA. [SIZE=-1]

www.[B]freestyle[/B]photo.biz[/SIZE]

Cactus fruit we were eating:
pin01mu1.jpg

Decrepit Dora the Explorer pinata:
pin02vr8.jpg

These were shot with a pinhole made from the remains of a Holga body like so:

www.argonauta.com/html/holga_pinholes.htm

I did the 30mm one, and instead of spending cash on a pre-made lens hole, I did the old beer can and needle trick, which I am getting better at. Film used was Ilford HP5, 120 size and exposure was about 2 seconds in the late afternoon, a little bit cloudy. But precision is not the pinhole's strong suit. Just doing it is.

wow - guys. Great thread. real;ly cool to see what people are upto!

Wow! The pictures turned out amazing. I really wish I had the patience to make one myself, so I may just convert a disposable camera to one...but how would you convert a disposable into one? I'm just so confused!

I was able to find a few websites that kind of told how to turn a disposable camera into one.

Here's what I did.... if I remember correctly (I made mine a few months ago)
Buy a disposable camera, PREFERABLY ONE WITHOUT A FLASH OPTION!
Then, take it apart... there are little tab-like things on the top, bottom, and sides of it, and it'll open into two halves. Then, I removed the shutter so there was no glass/plastic or anything there, and I taped a bit of tin foil with a pin hole in it into the inside where the lens would have been. Just put some thick black tape over the hole on the outside so you don;t let any unwanted light in!

Then, I put in some new film, which was incredibly difficult because i did it at home with no dark room so I had to go in a super dark bathroom and it was creepy! This part was tricky, but I think I just connected it and wound it up. Then I put the camera back together and used it like a normal pinhole, but I still had to manually advance the film by spinning the wheel thing. Oh, and once I put it back together, I taped up any holes or cracks with the thick black tape.

I hope that helps, sorry if it was confusing!
Be sure to post your pictures if you give it a try :D

i need to get into this again! i have a 4x5 view camera so i'm going to make a pinhole lens for it. contact prints from 4x5 negatives are amazing - i can only imagine how beautiful a pinhole image might be. :blush::woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->