Poll: Most Reasonably Priced Designer?

doo888 said:
I agree with those who have mentioned APC and Dries.

I would personally add Miu Miu and Vanessa Bruno.

I would Like to know were you're buying MIU MIU because in my opinion, it's definetly overpriced. For Pete's sake, some shoes from PRADA's main line collection are cheaper than MIU MIU. As well as a lot of the bags too. I rarely ever see anything under $500 USD, other than basic white shirts, small accessories, and some of their shoes...

Back to subject-- some other labels I think are relatively reasonable.

1. La Perla- exquisite corsets and beautifully fitted tops for women for considerably less than other designer collections.

2. DAKS- great suits, beautifully tailored!!

3. Etro's stripped shirts for men- Really nice color combinations for under $375

stilettogirl84 said:
Honestly, I don't think any designers are affordable or reasonably priced.

Growing up poor (apparently acording to most TFS ers standards) my mom bought my clothes at wal-mart; my shoes from payless. if we were going to spend a lot- we went to JC Penny.

I never thought I was underpriviledged or poor.

Now that I'm buying my own clothes, I feel luxuriant that I mostly shop at stores like Jcrew and Banana Republic! And if I get designer shoes from saks- well it's a special treat, and I cherish those manolos!

but I think that anyone who says that anything designer could be considered reasonable is deluded. Despite the difference in quality, and craftsmanship- shoes from payless and shoes from prada CANNOT be so different in manufacture cost that the pradas are worth 25 times as much- even exotic skins are not That valuable.

Basically I feel like anything designer is a luxury- it is something you buy to treat yourself- something to add an edge to your already extant wardrobe. the way I look at it is- I don't accept that 1000.00 is a reasonable price for a top- I accept that I want the top so badly that I'm willing to pay 1000.00 for it.

Just my thoughts

I do APPLAUD long and loud for this posting :D

rach2jlc said:
Again, Marc Jacobs reasonably priced???? We talked about the diffusion line not being particularly reasonable, so surely we aren't going to include the mainline with its $300+ pants, $250 shirts, $1000+ jackets and $350+ shoes? I like MJ as much as the next guy, but he's not any cheaper than any other major designer, from Prada to Gucci. I'm not trying to argue with people on this thread... but come on! We might as well say Yohji Yamamoto or LV is reasonable.

I agree completely--and I've paid full price for his stuff. Some of which was more worth it than others :innocent:

Burberry used to be worth it, not sure if that's the case anymore.

I'll chime in:

Top Shop, Izzue, Uniqulo, Burberry and when all else fails Ebay...

Also, I agree although Marc Jacobs is not reasonably priced, his shoes remain at a pretty reasonable level, as they havent sky rocketed past that 500 dollar mark. Now a days, you can't get a decent pair of heels for less that 700 US.

Same goes with LV shoes, really nice and not obnoxiously expensive.

How about Kate Spade? I've found her stuff to be good value for the money.

PS ^ Guess it depends what you mean by decent. I consider the Cole Haans I bought this spring for about $200 decent ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Kate Spade is totally reasonable...esp. KS accessories...sunglasses and such are a good buy...And their kitchenware and stationary stuff is really nice too.

As far as La Perla goes, I don't know any luxury lingerie brands that are more expensive...can someone educate me on this? One of the first gifts I bought for my current girlfriend was a La Perla nighty, and I believe it was like 400+ US...totally not worth it... I mean totally worth it...^_^

When I was in SF I ventured into Coach and was more impressed than I expected to be... I wasn't really expecting anything good at all, but the quality seemed excellent and well worth the money. The designs were mostly not that exciting, but I found a pair of leather espadrillos I regret not buying...

Coach is really "soccer mom" style, I guess?

Grigioperla, La Perla's mens underwear, is fantastic btw.

sleazie ninja said:
As far as La Perla goes, I don't know any luxury lingerie brands that are more expensive...can someone educate me on this?

La Perla also has an exquisite women's clothing line, which I've never priced- (St louis is a fashion wasteland- and I missed the boutique last time in chicago) but looks lovely

http://www.***************/image/2006/Q1/022120061506203470.jpg
http://www.***************/image/2006/Q1/022120061506454546.jpg
http://www.***************/image/2006/Q1/022120061506589757.jpg
pics from elle.com

tott said:
When I was in SF I ventured into Coach and was more impressed than I expected to be... I wasn't really expecting anything good at all, but the quality seemed excellent and well worth the money. The designs were mostly not that exciting, but I found a pair of leather espadrillos I regret not buying...

Coach is really "soccer mom" style, I guess?

Here Coach is kinda everywoman's purse (well, perhaps more so Coach knockoffs :huh:)--carried by a lot of teens too. I think they've kinda taken up where Dooney left off. Not quite sure what happened there, but Dooney turned into a teenybopper brand when I wasn't looking :unsure:

sleazie ninja said:
As far as La Perla goes, I don't know any luxury lingerie brands that are more expensive...can someone educate me on this? One of the first gifts I bought for my current girlfriend was a La Perla nighty, and I believe it was like 400+ US...totally not worth it... I mean totally worth it...^_^

Agent Provocateur is another high end lingerie brand that is amazing in my opinion, but seems to be more than La Perla.

As far as affordable designer, I agree with Burberry. I don't think they're all that expensive with their basics.

I disagree about Marc by Marc Jacobs. Then again, Im really not a fan of his to begin with, but those clothes seem to be cheaply made.

I also have to say that I do like BCBG, designer or not!

I would say the corset's, bustiers, and tops from La Perla's ready-to-wear collection are better quality, have a nicer fit, and are cut better than say something you'd find at Versace or Roberto Cavalli. Thats all I'm really trying to say is that La Perla is a better "value" for your money.... Hence, they are a lingere house but do not have as much experience in ready-to-wear clothing, so in some ways I find their prices less steeper than at Gianni Versace or Christian Dior boutiques.

Honestly, I don't think any designers are affordable or reasonably priced.

Growing up poor (apparently acording to most TFS ers standards) my mom bought my clothes at wal-mart; my shoes from payless. if we were going to spend a lot- we went to JC Penny.

I never thought I was underpriviledged or poor.

Now that I'm buying my own clothes, I feel luxuriant that I mostly shop at stores like Jcrew and Banana Republic! And if I get designer shoes from saks- well it's a special treat, and I cherish those manolos!

but I think that anyone who says that anything designer could be considered reasonable is deluded. Despite the difference in quality, and craftsmanship- shoes from payless and shoes from prada CANNOT be so different in manufacture cost that the pradas are worth 25 times as much- even exotic skins are not That valuable.

Basically I feel like anything designer is a luxury- it is something you buy to treat yourself- something to add an edge to your already extant wardrobe. the way I look at it is- I don't accept that 1000.00 is a reasonable price for a top- I accept that I want the top so badly that I'm willing to pay 1000.00 for it.

Just my thoughts

i remember someone i used to work with grew up wearing payless, & bought a pair himself ... they were broken inside a week. so i guess i could argue that the shoes i buy that last for years with care are worth more by a factor of hundreds ...

my mother bought my shoes from sears, baker, etc., and they almost always lasted to be handed down. i'm sure quality there isn't what it used to be ...

I might get beat down for saying this, but Im gonna say BananaRepublic, especially in recent years..True, they're not high-fashion, and true, it is very commercial and definitely in the mass-market category, but I havent bought anything that left me asking in disappointment, "I paid x-amount of dollars for THIS?" (which is more than I could say for some of the MJ pieces Ive bought in the past). Ive (only) purchased many solid-colored l/s t's, mainly for layering, and more "dress-up" items for my office-job days, and I havent had any problems w/ poor fabric that shrinks & fades (Gap?), or shoddy construction that renders the garment unwearable after, say, 3 wears (H&M?)...From what Ive seen, Ive always felt like I got what I paid for..

i agree, it's good value for the price. however, the only thing i've ever seen myself coming & going in, i got there.

Max& Co , Gerard Darrel , Marc by Marc Jacobs, Emporio armani, Borbonese .. in Italy we have Pinko and Liu Jo some items are very overpriced considering the quality but the jeans are great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
souzaemario
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->