Proactiv

amy1022

Reaction score
im about to try proactiv for my acne and blemishes...has anyone tried it? did it help?

Well, I've never used ProActiv, but my dermatologist tells me that it uses the weakest kind of acid. I forget which, Benzoyl Peroxide, or Salysic(?). In any case, I think Proactive works on mild acne. I'm not sure how 'bad' your acne is, but if it's bad, don't even bother. But if you have superficial break outs, why not try?

I'm currently using something called Neo-Medrol, which I LOVE because it's an on-the-spot treatment. It's a milky watery cream that you place on a pimple or a blemish before it gets big and nasty. The cream dries and hardens on your face and you can just rub it off. It really helps in drying the pimple out. The thing is, it's quite expensive, and it's prescription medicine.

I've used proactiv for about 4 years. My skin used to be quite bad, but honestly, it's almost clear. It even goes about closing most of your pores. I'd say go for it, it worked for me!

i ordered it in july to help clear up a few minor monthly breakouts and initially it worked really well... however, after a month my skin started to go back how it used to be. this could be due to the fact that i wasn't as religious in washing my face as i should have been but i've had better results with cheaper products, like cetaphil. the proactiv renewal lotion is the only product that i would re-buy, it does a good job evening out skin tone. overpriced gimmick IMO, go see a derm instead.

it did nothing for me..... but i hear great stuff so it might do wonders and i was annoyed with their policy you HAVE to sign up for the auto refills and i just wanted to try it once i dont have overactive skin but sometimes a blemish here and there so i did not want to keep it because it did nothing great i remember being on the phone for so long on hold waiting to cancel my contract or whatever.....

I heard it hurts to use if you have really sensitive skin... :unsure: I used Acutane for my mild acne and now I get compliments on my near perfect skin all the time! B)

Originally posted by pinkcouture@Jan 3rd, 2004 - 6:49 pm
I heard it hurts to use if you have really sensitive skin... :unsure: I used Acutane for my mild acne and now I get compliments on my near perfect skin all the time! B)
if there is a miracle for breakouts it is accutane. it is sometimes hard to find a doctor to prescribe it for minimal breakout like i had but mine did and it is so awesome..... :smile:

Accutane? :shock:
Isn't Accutane only used as a last resort for very bad acne? My dermtologist for 4 years always tells me that Accutane should only be used when all else fails, as it has really nasty side effects... depression... excessive dry skin EVERYWHERE ... A really good dermatologist would never prescribe Accutane for mild acne, as there are other kinds of medicine that would do the same job for mild acne without the harsh effects. Like tetracycline for example.

Anyways, like I said, Neo-Medrol is the best for people with superficial blemishes. If you feel a pimple coming, just apply a touch on the spot and ZAP. It'll dry that sucker out fast.

Originally posted by ChinaLove@Jan 4th, 2004 - 3:19 pm
Accutane? :shock:
Isn't Accutane only used as a last resort for very bad acne? My dermtologist for 4 years always tells me that Accutane should only be used when all else fails, as it has really nasty side effects... depression... excessive dry skin EVERYWHERE ... A really good dermatologist would never prescribe Accutane for mild acne, as there are other kinds of medicine that would do the same job for mild acne without the harsh effects. Like tetracycline for example.

Anyways, like I said, Neo-Medrol is the best for people with superficial blemishes. If you feel a pimple coming, just apply a touch on the spot and ZAP. It'll dry that sucker out fast.
i hate to say it but i think your doctor is wrong and your assumption that only a bad doctor would give accutane for something other than massive acne is also wrong. i happen to go to an award winning top dermatologist that contributes to allure and she said there is nothing wrong and in fact the doctors than refuse to prescribe it after other medications do not work are foolish because the drug is nothing short of a miracle. she thinks the depression stuff is a load of crap and i was on a low dose and it cleared up everything EVERYTHING every blackhead, i would never break out while you are on it you have no oil, even if your hair! it is so great.... the dryness is not that bad truly. really there are misconceptions and for anyone who suffers from breakouts this could change their life! tetracycline etc dont do sh*t, sorry... and i would rather NOT break out then wait for one and dab something on.... :flower: Jessica Simpson even takes it!

I used to use Proactiv and it worked very nicely. Watch out though, the lotion you use can lighten your eyebrows if your not careful about where you apply it!

Thanks for the info on Accutane Lele, I may just go to my derm and ask for it! Is it expenxive by any chance?

:flower:

lele,
Well I guess I should just shut up now since you go to an award-winning top dermatologist who contributes to a magazine :yuk: ... Didn't Ozzy Osbornes high-profile celebrity doctor also over-prescribe him medicine, which ultimately led to his shaky demeanor?... just a thought.

Everyone has something different to say about how to treat acne. My dermatologist advices that in some cases it is not a good idea. And I believe him. What kind of dermatologist would skip major steps in skin treatment to just go straight to prescribing their patients Accutane? How about Benzoyl Peroxide? Reton-A? It's only rational to try these before jumping to Accutane. I'm not disputing the effectiveness of it, as I've never been on it, but the side effects are real. If you've never experienced them, others surely have. Accutane is very strong, so it's only logical to conclude that it produces extreme side effects. I used tetracycline and it worked for me, it obviously hasn't for you. I have 2 friends who've been on Accutane for 4+ years and it hasn't done much for them. Go figure.

The thing about acne is that everyone wants a quick fix. What ever happened to patience? You can't just expect sh*t to disappear because you don't like it.

Originally posted by lele@Jan 4th, 2004 - 3:47 pm
i hate to say it but i think your doctor is wrong and your assumption that only a bad doctor would give accutane for something other than massive acne is also wrong. i happen to go to an award winning top dermatologist that contributes to allure and she said there is nothing wrong and in fact the doctors than refuse to prescribe it after other medications do not work are foolish because the drug is nothing short of a miracle. she thinks the depression stuff is a load of crap and i was on a low dose and it cleared up everything EVERYTHING every blackhead, i would never break out while you are on it you have no oil, even if your hair! it is so great.... the dryness is not that bad truly. really there are misconceptions and for anyone who suffers from breakouts this could change their life! tetracycline etc dont do sh*t, sorry... and i would rather NOT break out then wait for one and dab something on.... :flower: Jessica Simpson even takes it!
I took Accutane... generally I think hard drugs shouldn't be the first answer to things but especially Accutane. I mean, look at the pills.. there are little "no pregnancy" graphics all over it. I had to sign a form when I started taking Accutane pledging I would NOT get pregnant or the dermatologist would claim no responsibility for what would happen.

Now, how good can something like that really be for you?

I got terrible dry skin on the Accutane. I would rather have zits than the dryness I experienced. My lips were so cracked it hurt to speak. PLUS I had to get blood work done monthly while on the Accutane so I could be observed for strange effects. Honestly, again, how good can it be for you if these things have to be done.....

Everyone experiences a different level of side effects, as with any medication. You can't outright say this is a miracle medicine and should be used firstly in the fight against acne because people have obviously had f*cked up babies, serious depression, as well as other side effects while on Accutane.

It is a medicine used throughout the modelling/acting world, that is for sure. It will clear up your acne. And those who don't experience the side effects that dramatically, they're damned lucky cuz the stuff does combat acne effectively.

going on the defensive....do you know that pregnant women can practically only take sudafed and tylenol while pregnant????? most strong medications for will have adverse side effects on a fetus. look what chemotherapy does to a body??? medications have effects period if you take them and use your brain IE dont get pregnant or drink etc while you are on them you are fine...IMO

Originally posted by ChinaLove@Jan 4th, 2004 - 5:30 pm
lele,
Well I guess I should just shut up now since you go to an award-winning top dermatologist who contributes to a magazine :yuk: ... Didn't Ozzy Osbornes high-profile celebrity doctor also over-prescribe him medicine, which ultimately led to his shaky demeanor?... just a thought.

Everyone has something different to say about how to treat acne. My dermatologist advices that in some cases it is not a good idea. And I believe him. What kind of dermatologist would skip major steps in skin treatment to just go straight to prescribing their patients Accutane? How about Benzoyl Peroxide? Reton-A? It's only rational to try these before jumping to Accutane. I'm not disputing the effectiveness of it, as I've never been on it, but the side effects are real. If you've never experienced them, others surely have. Accutane is very strong, so it's only logical to conclude that it produces extreme side effects. I used tetracycline and it worked for me, it obviously hasn't for you. I have 2 friends who've been on Accutane for 4+ years and it hasn't done much for them. Go figure.

The thing about acne is that everyone wants a quick fix. What ever happened to patience? You can't just expect sh*t to disappear because you don't like it.
this is my last comment... i truly did not mean to brag on my doctor i only felt the need to defend her and share her credentials because you said only a bad doctor would prescribe it which she is not.

Originally posted by lele@Jan 4th, 2004 - 6:48 pm
going on the defensive....do you know that pregnant women can practically only take sudafed and tylenol while pregnant????? most strong medications for will have adverse side effects on a fetus. look what chemotherapy does to a body??? medications have effects period if you take them and use your brain IE dont get pregnant or drink etc while you are on them you are fine...IMO
Lele you are absolutely right. Personally I think I'd stick to organic fruits and water while pregnant cuz almost anything anybody puts into their body is bad some way or another.. lol.

It just struck me in the face as soon as I got the Accutane.. there was a little "no pregnancy" graphic on every pill in the box. I guess they must have had one major lawsuit on their ***es to do that to the packaging.

Anyway, I was just throwing out my experience with Accutane so people wondering about it have something to consider. Like I said, it's great stuff if you are lucky enough to not experience any of the side effects in a major way :smile:

Proactiv works great. It dries your skin up a little at first, but after that is clears your face up and keeps it clear. :flower:

Hate to be the one dissenter here but...

I tried protactive for mild breakouts and whoa was that a bad idea!!

I have sensitive skin so it burned when I first put it on, but the product instructions said that was "a normal reaction while your skin became accustomed to the product" Well, apparently not only do I have sensitive skin, but I'm also allergic to benzyol peroxide (the active ingredient in proactive) After using proactiv for 2 days, I was at my doctor getting steroids to calm my skin.

I'm not saying don't try it, just be careful if you have sensitive skin. Even though its an over the counter product, it has close to the same levels of benzyol peroxide as most dermatologist prescribed medications.

Anyway, I was just throwing out my experience with Accutane so people wondering about it have something to consider. Like I said, it's great stuff if you are lucky enough to not experience any of the side effects in a major way

There are some exremely nasty possible side-effects and I think anyone who is considering using Accutane should have a serious think about whether they are willing to take that risk...

I have taken an anti-Malarial drug which was recently banned due to it inducing physchosis in a number of cases...even though I didn't get psychosis myself it's still not a drug that I would advise anyone to take : just because it didn't happen doesn't mean it can't...

Originally posted by LilyBird@Jan 4th, 2004 - 4:38 pm
Watch out though, the lotion you use can lighten your eyebrows if your not careful about where you apply it!

No wonder my eyebrows are almost blonde :lol: :lol:

I was using Proactiv when before I started my holiday break, and it was working super good, my face was clearing up really fast. I left my proactiv at the dorms and I couldn't get it until last monday, when I realized that Proactiv was helping a lot, because I was starting to break out again. But I got the BenzaClin, which is working wonders now... :wink:

i've been using proactiv for about 1 1/2 months. i used to have mild/moderate acne, and after 2 weeks, i saw a real difference in my skin (which has never happened before...used to see a zit a day). not only am i getting less pimples, but my skin feels smoother too. it used to be uneven from blemishes and drying bumps. however, i started using oxypads the same time i started proactiv, and i don't use it as advised. i only use proactiv once a day, in combination with cetaphil. i've also started replacing soft drinks and juices with water (a very hard thing to do!) :yuk: so i have no idea what really worked for me, so i'm just sticking to this routine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->