Producing Fashion Events: Please read Post #1 before posting.

Aimeeeee

Reaction score
Moderator's Note:

This thread is a place where you may discuss the ins and outs of producing your own Fashion Event (as long as it's not a fashion show, see below). tFS has a strict rule about not selling anything nor posting anything that might be self promotion, so please do not post the location or date of your event or your post will be deleted.

We have a separate thread for Fashion Shows: All About Producing Fashion Shows

I am studying part time for a Business Studies degree with the hope of being a fashion buyer at the end of it, but I am working full time at the moment also. I know it would be good if I had some fashion job experience when applying for a buying job, I worked in retail for 3 years (1 year in a fashion store), I'm now in a legal job and I can't really afford to go back to fashion retail because it'd mean a pay decrease (although I'd love to go back to fashion retail).

So to the point: is it possible to get temporary fashion jobs? I know that some stores employ people just for the sales, could I get a job at a fashion event? i.e. clothes fairs, clothes show live or london fashion week? if so, do they advertise anywhere or is it through an agency?

I basically just want to get some fashion work experience, preferably temporary as I have a job already.

OR Would it be better for me to leave my legal job and get one in head office for a fashion company? what jobs could i do as i dont have a degree yet? would fashion head offices have office junior positions?

Thanks for any help! :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know how much I can help you out on this, but I would look into fashion shows that are occuring in your area and contact the planner and volunteer if they need any help. I've come across some fashion shows in the past that need helpers but you can't really find them unless you look for them. That way, if you go to shows and help out, you can see if you can find some contacts that can offer you some other seasonal/temporary jobs.

I'm not sure about the UK, but I know in Sydney, you can apply to be a volunteer for the fashion week shows usually as ushers or dressers. It's for free and highly competitive here, but it still is experience. From my own experience, it is quite difficult to get a job in a fashion head office without a degree, especially if you're still studying because you will only be able to work full time. I have however seen people working in fashion retail move onto head quarter roles within the company they're working for.

It's probably all through this section of the forum already, but there's always the internship/work experience (work exp - like asking to come in one day a week just to help out) possibility if you can organise yourself; eg for a semester I managed 3 and half days at uni, 2-3 half days at a fashion PR internship (and nights if they had an event), and 2-3 shifts per week in fashion retail. Which was tough and killed my social life a bit... but it was only for a semester!

I hope this helps somewhat :flower:

You can try contacting showrooms to see if they need to hire temporary sales reps for trade shows.

Fashion Event in Tokyo: Suggestions

I am hosting a pretty big (400 people) fashion event in Tokyo, Japan. I would actually like to start a series of events and each event feature an up and coming designer. I a willing to cover the cost of location rental, promotion of the event. I am looking for a designer who would like to showcase their line at my even and cover the cost of their own show production. I can help with the stylists and models.

The event will include:
A VIP dinner
Dance Performances
Live Artist
Prize Drawing

and be targeted specifically at the Tokyo fashion community (employees of the major fashion companies and their store staff)

Any suggestion of good designers?
Any suggestions for a good sponsors?

Cecil John Howell | Head Career Consultant | Fashion Recruiting by Cecilio | Founder & CEO, Howell Creations

HQ: 045-973-0110 | Mobile/Global: 090-9392-7412 | [email protected] | http://www.tokyofashioncareer.com

hi cecil!
i don't know if it will help you a lot but for sponsors did you think about japanese fashion magasine such as nonno popeye etc...
in popeye for instance they like to take photos of such events i think you should contact.

Gius,

Ok, will look this over and see if there are any good leads! Loved the old Y.Yamamoto stuff!!

Cecil

Seiji!

Great Idea!! Thanks alot. I will try to talk with them!

Cecilio
no problem:flower:
if you manage to get in contact with them i think they will introduce you to designers such as ato satoru tanaka, GalaatabenD, public image etc... well the brands of the tokyo fashion week.
here is the phone number of men's nonno:
03-3262-7688
also try the labels working with Japan such as Kitsuné. for the music etc... it could be usefull too.
http://www.kitsune.fr/
Hope it helps you!

Fashion Event Marketing - Consignment Event

Hey Guys/Gals,

I need some opinions (positive/negatives) about a fashion event I'm hosting, with anyone with experience with starting a similar event.

The event will be at a venue, where the attendance can purchase apparel/accessories/shoes, etc... given by people who have designer stuff laying around but don't want to donate it or resell it on Ebay. Sort of like a consignment store but it will be like an event on a day or spread out on a few days. I get a cut (60/40) as well as the person who donated the clothes.

I'm just working on some research and was wondering if anyone had any good stories to tell with what worked and didn't, if they hosted an event like this.

Thanks

Some other thread references would be good as well. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->