Provocative / Offensive Ads #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those vintage ads are super offensive imo, i cant get over that one of the woman as the tigerskin, jesus!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oy to the Veh.

jezebel.com

omg. that ad kinda makes me aggressive. how could women just look at them and ignore that?

Hahah I love ads with penis references. Ah it makes life fun making puns and innuendos :lol:
eta: referring to those aa,aussiebums and gucci ads

The udder shot is disgusting. I despise the snake one as well.
Although I quite like the first shot, with the two models snorting the vest :lol:

The Puma shot on the previous page is shocking. Who the :censored: thought they'd get away with something like that?

The man behind the udder shot (and siesly campagins around the early 00's +some of Tom Ford ads and that Gucci "belt" one :lol:) was Terry Richardson :innocent:

"Show her it's a man's world"... in what kind of world does a man wear a tie in bed?

I was talking in terms of a world outside of that ad. But in it, it's one where the future of womankind was quite safe, if that was the extent of the fantasy. I wonder if it was a world where his food didn't fall all over his tie, after his wife gave the tray a crafty nudge so the hot tea spilled.

Besides, he wouldn't be looking so smug if he'd got as far as reading about the symbolism of the tie as instrument of oppression. She might be kneeling down, but she's not the one wearing the corporate noose around her neck.

Well clint mauro wears one and he looks HOT AS HELL (simply provocative haha)
ClintMauro_bed.jpg

phtobucket user newsha111990

Though he looks a little bit scared of whoever owns that 'smoking hand' in the mirror, potentially the person who is metaphorically wearing the trousers in this set-up, the ones he literally isn't. A nice counterpoint to the original ad, though, and not just because he's good-looking.

The British Journal of Photography reports (bjp-online.com:(

UK's Advertising Standards Authority bans geisha photo

1 October 2009

The Advertising Standards Authority has banned an ad shot by Japanese photographer Araki Nobuyoshi, claiming the image of a bound geisha 'had cause serious offence to some readers'

The ads were shot for Bisazza, an Italian designer of mosaic tiles, by Araki Nobuyoshi, ‘one of the most provocative, and sought-after, Japanese photographers,’ the company says. Three ads were published in the international press, including Vogue, The World of Interiors, Elle Decoration and Wallpaper in the UK.

The three ads led to 11 complaints being filed against Bisazza at the Advertising Standards Authority. The complainants challenged whether the ads were ‘offensive, because [they] seemed to condone sexual violence against women’ or where ‘demeaning to women.’

In its testimony to the ASA, Bisazza strongly disagreed with the complaints. ‘Bisazza pointed out that the ads featured no nudity, innuendo, wounds or scenes of excessive perversion,’ according to the ASA.

Vogue also testified in front of the advertising authority arguing that it didn’t regard the ad as offensive since, culturally, Japan had long abandoned the bondage tradition. Wallpaper said the Japanese photographer who shot the ads was known for challenging the social taboos surrounding sex and death and received critical attention both at home and abroad, the ASA says. ‘Wallpaper acknowledged that the photographer's work was controversial; it forced readers to 'stop and think', to look at their own prejudged ideas of weakness, in the context of submissiveness, and strength.’

While the ASA found that two of the ads were not demeaning to women, the remaining one, which shows a woman appearing upset, lying on her side with her kimono ridden up to expose her thighs, was offensive.

‘Notwithstanding the highly stylised nature of the ads, we considered that the creative treatment could be seen to imply that sexual violence had taken place or was about to take place,’ the ASA said in its ruling. ‘We concluded that, although it also appeared in high fashion and upmarket interior magazines, the ad had caused serious offence to some readers of The World of Interiors, Elle Decoration and Wallpaper magazines.’

The ad has been banned to appear in its current form in the UK.

Attachments

• Bisazza.jpg
    Bisazza.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 35
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andy190