Quitting Cigarettes

PrinceOfCats said:
Your avatar is perhaps a little ironic in the context.

I don't remember who's signature it was, but it said something like "smoking only looks good in films and fashion magazines" :wink: I guess her avatar goes by that.

PrinceOfCats said:
Your avatar is perhaps a little ironic in the context.

Yeah, well I'm a sucker for classic cinema, and it's the only place I actually think smoking is ok. :lol: Because when these movies were made, the health dangers weren't known. But I do see how ironic it is. :wink:

WhiteLinen said:
I usually have straight vodka shots, and it makes me crave for a cigarette... maybe you are right, I should change. But what I think adds to it is that everyone around me smokes at bars etc... it's hard to resist when your friend is smoking delicious Tunisian cigarettes in front of you...
As someone who tries to avoid the caustic taste of Virginia tobacco, those sound understandably hard to resist... *ahem* admitted Camel lover :ninja:

I've just recently given up smoking - it's been 2 months. I've had the habit since my early teens and have tried to quit several times. This is the longest I have ever gone without a ciggarette and I'm fairly confident that this is the end of my habit. My motivation to quit? My father - he smoked for 40 years and if he can quit, I can too. Now, if I could just get my boyfriend to quit as well... hmmm...

I've been smoking for a little over a year, but never more than a pack a week. At first i could go for months with just one pack, but it's scary how addictive those little white demons can be -_-

In any case, I don't find myself craving them much, probably because I never smoked a lot in the first place! Still, I think my biggest problem isn't being addicted to them, it's just being used to smoking in certain places and under certain circumstances; for instance, whenever I walk to school it's almost an instinct to fish inside my bag for a Lucky Strike :lol: Same for when I drink coffee/alcohol, wait for trains in certain stations, hang out in a particular place at a particular hour, listening to a specific song...

Sigh. It's really those lame associations that have gotten me more or less hooked :innocent: I'm guessing it's that way for lots of people, though!

unspoiledbird said:
I've been smoking for a little over a year, but never more than a pack a week. At first i could go for months with just one pack, but it's scary how addictive those little white demons can be -_-

In any case, I don't find myself craving them much, probably because I never smoked a lot in the first place! Still, I think my biggest problem isn't being addicted to them, it's just being used to smoking in certain places and under certain circumstances; for instance, whenever I walk to school it's almost an instinct to fish inside my bag for a Lucky Strike :lol: Same for when I drink coffee/alcohol, wait for trains in certain stations, hang out in a particular place at a particular hour, listening to a specific song...

Sigh. It's really those lame associations that have gotten me more or less hooked :innocent: I'm guessing it's that way for lots of people, though!

Oh I know, it's the same for me... I mean, what did I do before to pass time? What did I use to do when waiting for the train arrive? Just sit and stare?

I congratulate myself for not buying another pack this week, so my little slip has not brought back the habit. I'm going to be studying this weekend and not going out, and that helps a lot. I find it that if you can be two or three weeks without a smoke, it helps with these "association cravings" (as in habitual smoking). You learn new ways to cope with situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->