Quitting Cigarettes

^^ if you smoke under 5 a day you dont medically smoke btw xx

Thanks tia, so I didn't actually smoke today then! What a relief! :innocent:

I'm quitting! Mr. Hipkitten and I stopped smoking on February 1st (just an arbitrary date we set). Day one was awful - no energy, headache, insomnia. Day two was even worse - manic one minute, depressed another, anxious, irritable, headache, nauseous, no appetite... It's now day three and, surprisingly, it's better! Granted, I haven't left the house yet, but I'm not as achy, and I have more consistent energy. I'm still wanting a cigarette, but my confidence is up. We're going out tonight with friends who just quit smoking about 6 months ago so I'm hoping they'll encourage us. Any words of encouragement/advice would be appreciated :flower:

Hipkitten - I guess it is just a matter of willpower....I think it is great that you have friends who are in a similar situation so you can guide each other.

Perhaps set yourself a "treat" for example when you reach 6 months of non smoking you can plan a holiday or weekend away.

My husband is trying to give up and he is considering acupuncture:shock: :unsure:

Just popped in to wish everyone who is trying to quit lots of luck! :D

Smoke-free for a month! I've noticed two things: 1) I definitely have more energy, and 2) my stomach is messed up - it's awful (my husband's is too). I still have cravings, but they pass pretty quickly. I haven't really "challenged" myself yet (e.g. going out with friends who smoke, going to restaurants/bars that allow smoking, et al) I just don't think I'm ready.

My manager who has smoked since been a teenager is quitting at the moment and it's a total nightmare. :innocent:

I quit for a month and a half.. after new years of course.. and gum became my saviour. , really helped me out. And then . you know.. thats over now.. But i'll send my good vibes to everyone in the quitting process!!

And someone said they posted pictures of smokers lungs around their house-- I think thats perfect. It would do the trick for me!

tiamaria said:
^^ if you smoke under 5 a day you dont medically smoke btw xx
I don't think this is a good reason to condone smoking :lol:

I stopped smoking for 2 weeks not on purpose just didn't...I didnt have any withdrawals or problems, I even forgot I was a smoker.

I was fine except when I started again....

I quit smoking after New Year... and this weekend I relapsed. The craving to smoke isn't as storng than before though, so I guess I will be fine. But how to beat the urge to smoke when you are drinking?

WhiteLinen said:
I quit smoking after New Year... and this weekend I relapsed. The craving to smoke isn't as storng than before though, so I guess I will be fine. But how to beat the urge to smoke when you are drinking?

Drink something different. For instance, if you usually have martinis, switch to wine :flower:

I usually have straight vodka shots, and it makes me crave for a cigarette... maybe you are right, I should change. But what I think adds to it is that everyone around me smokes at bars etc... it's hard to resist when your friend is smoking delicious Tunisian cigarettes in front of you...

i've been smoking since in my teens. i'm 35 now. i've stopped so many times, even up to 2 years. the reason why i picked it up everytime is i kept telling myself "it is only one cigarette". i was a regular smoker and old habits die hard. this time i've stopped for a couple of months but i will always be a smoker.

even if i've stopped for years and years and years i know how easy it is to pick up a cigarette. after all it is my mind telling me not to smoke now. it will always be a battle. my mind can easily tell me to pick it up again. my husband "envies" me for starting and stopping so easily. it's not easy, it just seems easy to him. i go into a deep dark place before i stop...

i know people who have stopped for almost 10 years and they pick it up again. it's all in the mind. the body gets rid of the addiction very fast.

if there is one thing i regretted doing, it is picking up smoking.

Last edited by a moderator:
loves said:
i've been smoking since in my teens. i'm 35 now. i've stopped so many times, even up to 2 years. the reason why i picked it up everytime is i kept telling myself "it is only one cigarette". i was a regular smoker and old habits die hard. this time i've stopped for a couple of months but i will always be a smoker.

even if i've stopped for years and years and years i know how easy it is to pick up a cigarette. after all it is my mind telling me not to smoke now. it will always be a battle. my mind can easily tell me to pick it up again. my husband "envies" me for starting and stopping so easily. it's not easy, it just seems easy to him. i go into a deep dark place before i stop...

i know people who have stopped for almost 10 years and they pick it up again. it's all in the mind. the body gets rid of the addiction very fast.

if there is one thing i regretted doing, it is picking up smoking.
^

I am in my teens, and that's why I want to stop it now, not when I have smoked for ten years. I realise it might become a huge problem...

Both of my parents quit smoking about 6 years ago. I'm so proud of them! :D They had both been smoking since their late teens, so they had been smoking for 30+ years. I've seen them struggle with quitting. I know it's hard. So good luck everybody, I know you can do it! :heart: We're here for you.

WhiteLinen said:
^

I am in my teens, and that's why I want to stop it now, not when I have smoked for ten years. I realise it might become a huge problem...

it will, so do stop now

good luck

PrinceOfCats said:
Your avatar is perhaps a little ironic in the context.
:lol:

.. I only smoke occassionally (once a week maybe).. nothing to quit i guess. -_-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->