Quitting Cigarettes

Fade to Black

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need your help/advice on this issue...I've been smoking cigarettes for 2 years now (started smoking regularly at the beginning of freshman year of college), and I've decided that I want to quit. I actually tried quitting last summer, and I lasted about 8 hours. I went to bed that night saying "Alright I'm not smoking anymore starting now" and the next day went all the way until dinner, it was the worst 8 hours of my life. It's even harder when I'm at school because I'll be studying and working, and it's draining. At the end of a chapter I'm reading or whatever I'll start to get this internal restlessness, like my head's getting kind of heavy and I *NEED* that cigarette to calm me down and make me feel normal again, like stopping that machine inside of me from churning and rumbling.

I have 3 packs left, and after I'm done with them I'm not going to buy any more cigarettes, because I've decided I'm going to seriously quit for real this time. Now is the perfect time because school's about to end, so I figure that's it, I'm out of the game. I'm not even going to bother with the nicotine patch because that's still nicotine getting pumped in my system...

But I know it's going to be hell...I'm going to get that feeling inside again, my insides are going to start itching, my whole body is going to get restless and twitchy and I'm going to be edgy and irritable, my leg will start shaking and if anybody so much as looks at me I'm going to flip out. So my question for you guys is: Have any of you ever successfully quit smoking? How did you do it, and how did you cope with the side effects? Please share your thoughts here, any advice is much appreciated.

Ok, I have completely stopped yet (still have one or two a week :doh:) but I am working on stopping completely and I've cut back a lot.

Simply stopping one day never really worked for me - especially not after I started smoking on a regular basis. It was much to hard to control the urge to have one, especially when combined stress/school/etc.

Instead I've found it much easier to cut back gradually - for example instead of having four a day, I made my limit three. Then two. Then one. Now I skip days without cigarettes (hopefully I'll stop altogether soon) I've found that I want to smoke less and less as time goes on, but the problem is that with exams and the end of term the cravings come back from time to time :blush: Honestly, I think the best time to quit (or start quitting) would be after you're done with the term, otherwise it'll probably be very distracting :ninja:

Either way, good luck with quitting and I really hope it works :woot: :heart: :flower:

Thats really horrible Fadetoblack.. I hope you can do it.. I have a father who smokes and I pray for him, he is really old and he can't quit smoking.. I want him to be there for me when I grow up to have my own family and for him to see his grandchildren... he is sixty years old... it must be really hard to quit as he has tried many times.. best of luck to you

I personally can't imagine being addicted to something like that and coming from the outside its really hard to comprehend the difficulty of quitting... I just hope it all works out well. I just hope you don't give up!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yay for quitting :smile:

I've never been a smoker and am determined to never become one but I had a friend who was and she managed to quit. What she did was wear a thick rubber bands on her wrists and whenever she had a craving would pull and snap them. Needless to say her wrists got very raw at times and she'd sometimes chew on a wad of gum to substitute for "something to do" when her mind wandered to ciggarettes even after the rubber band snapping. I guess that this combined with with the gradual cutting back on the number of cigarettes you smoke would be effective.

If you find it difficult just persist, knowing that YOU are the one in control over your body, not the cigarettes.

Hope that this made sense and will help. Good luck! We're rooting for you here at tFS :clap: :muscles: :mohawk:

Artemis said:
she'd sometimes chew on a wad of gum to substitute for "something to do" when her mind wandered to ciggarettes even after the rubber band snapping.
good idea - I've taken to chewing on straws as a means of distraction. Apparently Liam Nieeson uses toothpicks :P

I've been smoking for years. I smoked a lot right from the start. Last year I quit for a whole month cold turkey. I just got so sick of it controlling my life. It was hard... I ended up eating way more and for some reason I always had craving for wine at night! Anyways I didn't smoke for a month and I felt so much better.. I was able to fall asleep much easier and had a better nights sleep, and during the day I was so much more alert and didn't need coffee.. not to mention it was great waking up without a scratchy throat. The interesting thing was I didn't have any physical symptoms when I quit. I guess I'm only addicted psychologically. Another reason to quit is money. In Canada smokes are sooo expensive (at least in Ontario) - a pack costs me almost $9. If I quit and saved my money I can go on a nice vacation in no time!! :woot:

Then I was writing a paper and couldn't handle it anymore so I started again. I got too used to smoking while studying and writing papers and old habits are hard to break... but I really really want to quit too. This time I'm going to try the patch because I don't want to smoke anymore. I'm finishing my exams soon but a week later I'm starting a stressful job at a law firm (I'm a law student) so I'll definitely need the help of the patch.

UK :cry:

Last edited by a moderator:
I quit about a year ago. For me, cold turkey was the best. If you accept that you're going to feel like sh*t for a certain amount of time and you do it during a period when you don't have too much other stress like school or something, then you can get through it.

I did it when I had no school or other stresses and just focused on that. I accepted being uncomfortable and understood that it was necessary and tried to do as many other things that I enjoyed that would make me feel a bit better. I watched movies, went shopping, exercised and kept busy with fun things, nothing too stressful. After a few days, the need for a cigarette subsides and you can get back into a normal life.

Hey, I had the same problem, although I still smoke now and then, I gradually started smokin less. In the past I always thought of a cigarette as something I need, now it's reward. I decided not to smoke anymore at certain places, like inside or with parents or whatever, so this makes the opportunity to smoke already limited. I think when you do this, for a longer period, it's more effective than just quitting and all the time longing for a cigarette. When you can't have something, you just want to have it! Allow yourself to smoke, but only at restricted areas/times. You have to get it out of your head :innocent: Now I don't think of cigarettes anymore, I sometimes think of it after a long day, but hey if it's just one, I can live with it ^_^

Thanks a lot for the advice and support guys, I appreciate it.

Mingus said:
I quit about a year ago. For me, cold turkey was the best. If you accept that you're going to feel like sh*t for a certain amount of time and you do it during a period when you don't have too much other stress like school or something, then you can get through it.

I did it when I had no school or other stresses and just focused on that. I accepted being uncomfortable and understood that it was necessary and tried to do as many other things that I enjoyed that would make me feel a bit better. I watched movies, went shopping, exercised and kept busy with fun things, nothing too stressful. After a few days, the need for a cigarette subsides and you can get back into a normal life.

Hmm...so the first few days I'm gonna feel like I'm in hell, but then it's gone? Like can you please give me an approximate time frame that the uncomfortable feeling lasts? Or is that restless feeling going to be there for a long time, like a month?

I've decided to not even go through my last 3 packs and just quit cold turkey starting from the moment I woke up this morning. Damn. Looks like I just declared war on the devil. Pray for me y'all :cry:

I was able to quit smoking for two years - started again about four years ago (long story). Anyway, I quit "cold turkey" which I hear is the best. If you can make through the first 3-4 days you're golden. After 3-4 days you're no longer physically addicted, everything after that is pure habit. As mentioned above, you'll need something to replace the "hand to mouth" action of smoking (chewing straws worked for me) - just don't replace it with food! Good luck :flower:

Fade to Black said:
Hmm...so the first few days I'm gonna feel like I'm in hell, but then it's gone? Like can you please give me an approximate time frame that the uncomfortable feeling lasts? Or is that restless feeling going to be there for a long time, like a month?
I've only ever quit cold turkey once (for 3 months, which isn't bad I suppose) but the first three-five days were quite awful, especially the first three. As far as I can remember though, after the first week the restlessness subsided.

To me smoking is a social habit, I find that I can quit for weeks at a time and not have a problem with it but when I go for coffee with friends of mine that smoke I really can't resist the temptation. I also find it difficult to replace the "hand to mouth" action... I'm just so used to it. And I find smoking sexy for some reason. But I really do want to quit and I've decided I'll do it before summer.

*EllaH said:
And I find smoking sexy for some reason. But I really do want to quit and I've decided I'll do it before summer.

I find smoking sexy too, IMO there's something very cool and authentic about sitting at the bar with a faded jean jacket on and a cigarette burnt to the tip in the mouth. But I want to change my lifestyle for the better, and I have decided that I will no longer partake in smoking. It's been 4 hours now and I haven't felt any cravings yet, I even saw plenty of people smoking on the street and when I passed them I just smiled to myself, knowing that I have achieved a personal victory by not giving in...at this very moment I have no desire to smoke, it's bad for my breath and makes me feel like crap in general.

Fade to Black said:

Your physical addiction should be gone within a week and you will no longer feel like you need them to function. After that though, you're going to have to battle the psychological addiction. Every time that you do something that you associate with smoking, you're going to want a cigarette. Going out with friends can be particularly challenging. This won't be your body needing it, but wanting that comfort that it once gave you. Every time that I feel the desire I try to remind myself why I quit. I want to be healthy and be able to exercise. I want to smell nice, have better skin and be free of addiction. I didn't go through withdrawal for nothing and I know that I don't want to go through the hard part again, so I don't let myself get back to square one.

I love to shop but don't have an amazing amount of money so putting cigarette money away for other things was a really big incentive. I took the actual money that I would have spent on cigarettes and physically put it away in a special place. That money grew over time and I was allowed to do anything I pleased with it.

I have never been a smoker but I know a few things.
Its important to try and stop when your not going to have any other stress to worry about.

http://www.givingupsmoking.co.uk/Young_people__smoking/hysical benefits

• You breathe more easily
  • Your risk of serious disease starts to fall
  • Your blood vessels begin to reopen and your circulation improves
  • Your energy levels start to rise as the carbon monoxide leaves your body
  • Your skin warms up and begins to glow again
  • Increased chance of conceiving and having a healthy pregnancy and baby
  • No more stinging, watery eyes
Lifestyle benefits

• Cleaner, fresher house
  • No more holes in your clothes and cigarette burns on your furniture
  • You no longer put those around you at risk
  • Healthier children who are less likely to start smoking
Financial benefits

• You'll be a lot richer!
Social benefits

• Better tasting food
  • Be more attractive to potential partners
  • Your clothes, hair, breath and skin no longer smell of stale smoke
  • You can go out and enjoy yourself without feeling that you have to smoke
Emotional benefits

• More confidence and self-esteem, knowing you've had the determination and willpower to give up
  • Your energy levels are higher making you feel more alive and positive

Fade to black, all I did to quit was post ads of the diseased, cancerous, tar-filled lungs and blood-clotted brains on my noticeboard, fridge and wallet and I really did not want to smoke at all with those gory constant reminders.
I still crave it when I see people smoking on TV though. Bugger. I just tell myself I want to be healthy when I'm young and promise that I will smoke myself silly in my twilight years.

Tinuviel said:
I still crave it when I see people smoking on TV though. Bugger. I just tell myself I want to be healthy when I'm young and promise that I will smoke myself silly in my twilight years.
:lol: good plan :lol: although, I know what you mean - whenever I see someone having a smoke (on tv, or just around me) I start to crave :ninja: have gone three days without one though, so I'm quite happy :blush:

Thanks for the support, guys.

Update: I went out to the pub for a beer about an hour ago...people around me everywhere were smoking, which should have been a tempting cue...BUT i did not even feel the urge to smoke. As a matter of fact, I began to find the smell of cigarette smoke quite repulsive.

I still haven't had a cigarette all day.

boho_babe said:
I have never been a smoker but I know a few things.
Its important to try and stop when your not going to have any other stress to worry about.

http://www.givingupsmoking.co.uk/Young_people__smoking/hysical benefits

• You breathe more easily
  • Your risk of serious disease starts to fall
  • Your blood vessels begin to reopen and your circulation improves
  • Your energy levels start to rise as the carbon monoxide leaves your body
  • Your skin warms up and begins to glow again
  • Increased chance of conceiving and having a healthy pregnancy and baby
  • No more stinging, watery eyes
Lifestyle benefits

• Cleaner, fresher house
  • No more holes in your clothes and cigarette burns on your furniture
  • You no longer put those around you at risk
  • Healthier children who are less likely to start smoking
Financial benefits

• You'll be a lot richer!
Social benefits

• Better tasting food
  • Be more attractive to potential partners
  • Your clothes, hair, breath and skin no longer smell of stale smoke
  • You can go out and enjoy yourself without feeling that you have to smoke
Emotional benefits

• More confidence and self-esteem, knowing you've had the determination and willpower to give up
  • Your energy levels are higher making you feel more alive and positive

Thanks a lot for this website, it looks very helpful and I'm now looking at the 'alternatives' section for ideas on things to do when I get a craving. ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->