Rachel Roy Pre-Fall 2008

larien

at the irish pub
Reaction score
NEW YORK, December 18, 2007 – After adding resort to her repertoire earlier this year, Rachel Roy was back in expansion mode today, showing off her first-ever pre-fall collection. Her starting point here was the American southwest, an inspiration that showed up in a subtle, earthy color palette. Toning down her signature embellishments, she stuck instead to plays on texture with metallic paillettes, fringes, and tone-on-tone embroidery. Feminine, day-to-night dresses included a brocade shift (paired with a cardigan for the office or worn bare for evening) and a short, bright yellow number covered in a neo-flapper fringe. A sleeveless waxed linen vest worked as well with skinny, cactus-green pants as it did on its own as a dress. That sort of versatility is a theme with this line and should certainly help tip the scales in Roy's favor come buying time.

Joanna Rodger

style.com

i like her shapes and that she is taking inspiration in a non-traditional place but that red print! it looks like something someone would have covered their couch in, in the 1980's!

I actually like it. She seems to be following in a similar pathway as Oscar de la Renta (Park Avenue Princesses, etc), but still fashionable and very wearable. Admittedly though, I am a fan of hers.

i like her shapes and that she is taking inspiration in a non-traditional place but that red print! it looks like something someone would have covered their couch in, in the 1980's!

Ha! You're right ... that pseudo Southwestern look ... I saw canisters from that look at the antique mall :shock: this past weekend.

I love the green pants :D Not too keen on like...the yellow flapper dress...looks like something I saw at iparty.

yea, i agree...
it's the only thing out of place here...

happyguy hit the nail on the head...but i like what both ps and burberry are doing, and i like roy's collections...
i have to say though i miss when her collections where in the phillip lim price range...
i've seen her stuff in neiman's and the prices have gone waaaaayy up...

I can't see all the pictures, but from what I see, I don't like it very much.

yea, i agree...
it's the only thing out of place here...

happyguy hit the nail on the head...but i like what both ps and burberry are doing, and i like roy's collections...
i have to say though i miss when her collections where in the phillip lim price range...
i've seen her stuff in neiman's and the prices have gone waaaaayy up...

I agree, I much preferred it when she was more of a contemporary line rather than what she's charging now. Although her clothes are pretty and I do like them a lot, I don't think the quality matches the prices, but maybe that's just me. I remember reading that after receiving more financial backing she decided to move away from being a contemporary line (like Phillip Lim) which was "praised in fashion circles" (or something to that effect in the article) but personally I don't think it was the best move ever. The only endorsers of hers and this move seem to be Andre Leon Talley, though I could be wrong.

I like some of it. I don't like the fringe but the brocades and dress are what she does well. I'm curious to know what her prices were before?

I too was disappointed by her move to a higher price point. I got a dress and a jersey tee from her when she was doing a contemporary line and was quite happy. But why would I pay 1200USD for a pretty Rachel Roy dress when I can buy another designer that's more than just pretty?

I really love the looks of this. I love her personal style and I'm usually really impressed with her designs!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->