Recommendations : Books About Fashion & Designers

Fashion Today by Colin McDowell
Galliano by Colin McDowell
Manolo Blahnik by Colin McDowell

Tom Ford's Book

Hi Guys :wink:

Did anyone here buy Tom Ford's book?

It was a photographic retrospective on his time at Gucci, as well as some autobiographical photos/information from himself.

I remember reading that at a book signing in London there was a line around the block.

The price is steep, which is the main reason I have held off on purchasing it until I can find someone who can tell me if it is a wortwhile purchase or not.

All opinions are welcome and encouraged!

Ciao
Jason

i was intending to go to the book signing at selfridges but it was absolutely packed - and a little too much attitude concentrated in one shop(!) i did buy a copy later and its what you'd expect- pretty pictures of pretty people- typical coffee table book. there is some interest in seeing how his style matured...

( and remember there are two editions- the regular version is only £45 at amazon)

aside, this is what amazon says about it
Tom Ford has become one of fashion's great icons. In the past decade, he transformed Gucci into one of the sexiest fashion brands in the world. His designs have increased sales at Gucci tenfold and have helped build that brand into the luxury goods conglomerate that it is today. Ford brought a hard-edged style synonymous with 21st-century glamour to his clothes, and Hollywood sat up and took note. This book is a complete catalogue of Ford's design work for both Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent from 1994 to 2004. It chronicles not only Ford's clothing and accessories designs for both houses, but also explores Ford's grand vision for the complete design of a brand, including architecture, store design and advertising. Tom Ford features more than 200 photographs by Richard Avedon, Mario Testino, Steven Meisel, Helmut Newton, Herb Ritts, Terry Richardson, Craig McDean, Todd Eberle, and numerous other photographers including many previously unpublished images. Published to coincide with his departure from Gucci, this book has been created with Ford's full co-operation and every page reflects his exceptional taste. It is Ford's testament to a career of singular moments reinventing the boundaries of style and sensuality in clothing.

On the Runway...a 20th century look at American fashion
r height='250';var width='300';var swf_path='http://cdn.fastclick.net/adserver.com/10002/nbi/mid5922/gaspump_gasyear_300x250_1.swf';var img_path='http://cdn.fastclick.net/adserver.com/10002/nbi/mid5922/gaspump_gasyear_300x250.gif';var click_url='http://z1.adserver.com/w/cp.x;rid=1139;tid=8;ev=2;ac=60;mid=5922;altclick=http://a.tribalfusion.com/h.click/MPFSGHPPENSQJGGISRLWVODYOTDFITKJSTLMPPCKGIIVGEJBBHJTUXKQUMUEMJLDRLIMJAJKEOJK/';var bcolor='#ffffff'; o
Ever wondered how and why U.S. fashions have gone from hoop skirts to hot pants, from zoot suits to sweat suits? A new book, Twentieth-Century American Fashion (Berg Publishers), co-edited by University of Rhode Island Professor Linda Welters with Ohio State University Associate Professor Patricia Cunningham, traces the socio-political, cultural and economic changes that have shaped American fashion changes over the last century.

The book examines the various cultural influences on dress such as class, jazz and hip hop, war, the space race, movies, television and sports. It also shows how gender, psychology, advertising, public policy, shifting family values, and U.S. expertise in mass production helped to create the American style that has since been exported worldwide.

Welters said an added source of pride on this important work is the contribution made by Hannel and her current and former graduate degree students. "This book truly reflects the level of research and dedication to the heritage and history of fashion and the collaborative nature of our work," said Welters.

For example, the first chapter in the book entitled: "Fashion in the Gilded Age: A Profile of Newport's King Family," was written by Rebecca J. Kelly of Newport, who received her M.S. in Textiles from URI in 2002 and now works in research and conservation at the Preservation Society of Newport County. An exhibition opened on April 8th at the Rosecliff mansion in Newport, R.I. featuring the Gilded Age clothing discussed in Kelly's article.

Hannel wrote about "The Influence of American Jazz on Fashion during the 1920s," and a chapter that looks at the future in the past, "Space Age Fashion," was written by Suzanne Baldaia, who graduated with her B.S. (1988) and M.S. (1993) degrees from URI and is now an associate professor at Johnson and Wales University in Providence, R.I.

Alumnus Amy Lund (URI 1994) of South Dartmouth, Mass., who is a handweaver, wrote about "The Onondaga Silk Company's 'American Artist Print Series of 1947," with Welters, and Deborah Saville, who is now completing her M.S. degree at URI and is the caretaker of the Watson House in Kingston, R.I., wrote the chapter on "Dress and Culture in Greenwich Village in the 1910s."

Other chapters delve into such topics as fashion on film in the 1930s, dressing for success in the 1970s, Beat Generation fashions, and the wardrobe influence of Hip-Hop.
space.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Vice.

The book. It's like 30 years of the magazine's Dos and Dont's...not so much intelligent, but oooh so hilarious and lots of picutres.

Bernhard Willhelm 99-2004-really an exhibtion catalogue to coincide with the one that was held at Apartment in Berlin last year. Great book if you're a big fan of BW and keen on seeing some of his early works...brilliant design and look-book images by Freudenthal Verhagen
Martin Margiela Street Special Edition Volumes 1&2-again a sort of timeline of all his amazing works since he began in '88.

tott said:
The Fashion Conspiracy: A Remarkable Journey Through the Empires of Fashion
by Nicholas Coleridge

amazing read indeed tott :wink:
fashion at the edge> got it -under kit's suggestion- a long time ago but havent read it yet, seems very interesting visual-wise

*getting the chanel ny exhibition catalogue in a few days

This thread actually reminded me of one I've been wanting. I just bought the new "Spectres: When Fashion Turns Back" catalogue book from the Malign Muses exhibtion in Antwerp and London.

Amazon's got it listed for $34,if anybody's interested. And it's over with now at V&A,so it will be a great visual guide if anybody didn't make it to the exhibition.

Scott said:
This thread actually reminded me of one I've been wanting. I just bought the new "Spectres: When Fashion Turns Back" catalogue book from the Malign Muses exhibtion in Antwerp and London.

Amazon's got it listed for $34,if anybody's interested. And it's over with now at V&A,so it will be a great visual guide if anybody didn't make it to the exhibition.

I was looking at it too, but I thought it wasn't worth the money. Almost all the image from the book are available online for free. The pix were choicy, though.

A quick related question: for the fashion writers out there - wut books would u recommend as a primer to the industry? In terms of history, style, etc?

U see, I'd been doing the whole fashion writing thing for quite some time, but coming from a country that has no fashion culture of its own, I have no proper background in a sense. I do learn fast, but I do wanna take my craft to the next level.

Anybody? Thanks,

I have that one about the collection at the Kyoto Costume Institute too...just a really beautiful book. Various periods and influences. I recommend it to everyone.It is a gorgeous collection of garments.

faust said:
I was looking at it too, but I thought it wasn't worth the money. Almost all the image from the book are available online for free. The pix were choicy, though.

I just want to see if they showed any of Jurgi's stuff :P :D

The Kyoto Costume Institute book is great and F.Y.I. Taschen will be reprinting it (in two volumes with a slipcase) as part of their 25th birthday celebration so it'll only be $25.
I second Bernhard Willhelm '99-'04. Everytime I look at it I find something else I love.
I also recommend New Fashion Japan, even though it's a bit dated now. I wouldn't say it's amazing, but there are some good visuals and it's only $8.25 from amazon!
The Marimekko book has nice images of their designs.
La Maison Martin Margiela: (99/4/1615) is only okay unless you are really interested in his studies with mold.

I am suprised no one mentioned bill blass's auto biography, BLASS, I found it really interesting, compelling, and motivating. I mean here is a rags to riches story for the fashion world...who doesn't love that?

Fashion at the Edge - Caroline Evans
Galliano - collin McDowell
Vivienne Westwood - Clare Wilcox (the V&A book)
i actually like Fashion Now theres not a lot of information in there and some of the designers i personally wouldnt have put in there but i think for the images its a good buy, i'm sure you could get it cheaper than $30 its like £4.99 in the books sales over here

i have the kyoto institute book too :smile:
i got it at the viktor & rolf exhibition at the mori art museum in tokyo last fall, and i love it. such beautiful pictures and lots of information.

Can you sell me that book faust? I can't seam to find it online :(
Id also like more tips please

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drue Price
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"