Fashion Photography Books - Recommendations

oops, i was a little off:
http://photojpn.org/tips/kips01/artists/izima.html

Kaoru01.jpg
kaoru04.jpg

Born 1954 in Kyoto. Tokyo-based photographer and TV commercial director. Formerly the chief editor of zyappu, a progressive fashion magazine which folded in 1999 when publisher Korinsha went out of business.

One regular feature of the magazine was a short pictorial called "Serial Murders of Actresses." It featured photos of an imaginary murder of a famous Japanese actress who lies dead in a river, road, or elsewhere while wearing brand-name clothing cited in the caption.

Twenty installments of this series were put into the book, sitai no aru 20 no hukei (A Corpse in 20 Scenes) published in 1999. And seven more installments were published in the exhibition catalog Landscapes with a Corpse 1999-2000.

iz2.jpg

As a special guest of PhotoGuide Japan, Izima-san exhibited 16 photographs titled Landscapes With a Corpse. He had four series of photos, each one showing a well-known Japanese actress dressed as a corpse. There was MATSUYUKI Yasuko wearing Gucci and lying in an empty bathtub (above photo), Catase Rino wearing Sybilla lying on the roadside on the Rainbow Bridge in Tokyo (top right), six girls wearing X-girl scattered on a beach in Okinawa, and SHINOHARA Ryoko wearing Vivienne Westwood in a men's restroom at an expressway rest stop (top left).

His work provoked the strongest response (both positive and negative) from viewers. He also came to the slide show and gave an interesting talk explaining the concept behind his corpse series. One of his objectives of this series was to bring the subject of death more out in the open

.....this guy has plethora of pics... i think i'll start a new thread :flower:

i just bought this amazing book
1851773207.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

picture from amazon.co.uk

here's a description from vam.ac.uk (victoria & albert museum) where the exhibition was shown:

Imperfect Beauty: The Making of Contemporary Fashion Photographs

With the rise of the internet and the growth of magazine titles, fashion imagery has never been so widely available. The distinctions between editorial and advertising photography as well as fine art and commercial styles have, through the last decade, cross-fertilised, creating a diverse creative territory for fashion image-makers. Imperfect Beauty covers a period of great innovation and creativity in fashion photography, highlighting the experimental scope of today's fashion imagery. Displays exploring the world of fashion magazines, design of contemporary beauty and products and fashion styling compliment the exhibition. An installation highlighting the influential image-making group 'Buffalo' is also on show at the entrance to The Photography Gallery at the V&A.
The exhibition is accompanied by a book of the same title, now available in the V&A shop. Further information about the book and details of how to buy it on-line can be found in the Publications section of this site. First-hand interviews with internationally renowned photographers, art directors and stylists are featured in the book, alongside key examples of their work. Contributors include Juergen Teller, David Sims, Melanie Ward, Fabien Baron and Nick Knight.

Charotte Cotton, Assistant Curator, writes:

Fashion photography constitutes one of the most important areas of our visual culture. There are many questions about the production of fashion photography - such as who makes it, who commissions it and what will it look like in the future - that an increasing number of visitors to the V&A are asking us.
Imperfect Beauty: The Making of Contemporary Fashion Photographs is our first opportunity in the programme of exhibitions for the Photography gallery at the V&A to respond, in detail, to such questions and address this fascinating area of photographic practice. In my research, I have listened to the views of fashion image-makers - including photographers, stylists, hair and make-up artists, art directors - and gained an insight into their collaborations.

Many of the most innovative people in the sphere of fashion photography have been asked to contribute ideas, images and words to Imperfect Beauty that in some way reflect their inspirations, working practices or perceptions of their industry. It is going to be an exciting exhibition that goes beneath the surface gloss of fashion photography. I hope that visitors of the Museum this autumn will find it thought-provoking and, of course, beautiful.

Melvin Sokolsky - Seeing Fashion
Brilliant man, brilliant book. I never get tired of looking through it. Surreal photography kicks gravity's ***. Superficially, anyway.

Haha and David LaChapelle's Artists and Prostitutes if you have the means and money. Or you know, to be more practical, Hotel LaChapelle would be pretty great. :smile:

I really want to get this:
In Vogue: The Illustrated History of the World's Most Famous Fashion Magazine (Hardcover)
by Alberto Oliva (Author), Norberto Angeletti (Author), Anna Wintour (Contributor), Steven Klein (Contributor), Grace Coddington (Contributor)

I've read through it and am interested in purchasing it... but I'd like to see some opinions of people... Anyone? It honestly looks good, but is about $75 USD!

i strongly recommend Unseen Vogue: The Secret History of Fashion Photography:blush:just bought it last june^_^

i'm thinking of buying this book online but i just wanted to ask if this book is wearth buying. are the pictures great? i don't know what the inside looks like but i do like the prada ad for the cover

I really want to get this:
In Vogue: The Illustrated History of the World's Most Famous Fashion Magazine (Hardcover)
by Alberto Oliva (Author), Norberto Angeletti (Author), Anna Wintour (Contributor), Steven Klein (Contributor), Grace Coddington (Contributor)

I've read through it and am interested in purchasing it... but I'd like to see some opinions of people... Anyone? It honestly looks good, but is about $75 USD!
I highly recommend this book. The book is filled with a lot of pictures ranging from early illustrated Vogue covers to editorials from recent years. The book provides you with a great sample of the work of the many great photographers who have worked for Vogue such as Cecil Beaton, Irving Penn, Horst P. Horst, Helmut Newton, Richard Avedon, Lee Miller, and Steven Meisel. I also found the history of the magazine itself very interesting to read.

:shock: I want to buy every book thats been mentioned in this thread! They all seem so interesting, but quite expensive too! :cry: I've got a photography book that I've been interested in for quite some time, but I was wondering if anyone else has taken a look at it, and their recommendations?

Title: 'Shot in Sicily'
Photographer: Michael Roberts
Additional contributors: Amanda Harlech (author), Manolo Blahnik (epilouge)
Published by 7L

"Steidl Books" said:
Shot in Sicily presents Michael Roberts’ complex view of Sicily – its people, traditions, and landscape – filtered through his photographic work for and beyond the fashion world. Spanning 20 years, the book traces Roberts’ changing vision of a sensual and ambiguous environment. Referencing Baron Wilhelm von Gloeden’s photography and evoking the films of Visconti and Bolognini, Roberts’ sense of Sicily moves beyond strict aesthetic categories. His camera captures the beauty of youth, crumbling temples, traditional Easter parades, and the theater of daily life to recreate the allure of Sicily, even for those who have not yet been there.
This is the cover:
41zp78fWQHL._SS500_.jpg

amazon.com

i'm interseted in this book..

Fashion: Photography of the Nineties (Paperback)
..written by Camilla Nickerson and her husband Neville Wakefield(an art critic)...i love the 90's...does anybody have this book?

source:ebay

Pretty Much Everything: Trade Edition by Inez & Vinoodh

Publication Date: Feb 2013 | ISBN-10: 3836527936 | ISBN-13: 978-3836527934 | 720 pages
Two artists, one vision. This title deals with the enigmatic and genre-defying work of Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin. Inez van Lamsweerde and Vinoodh Matadin's work has graced the walls and pages of some of the world's finest galleries and fashion magazines, and if it is surprising that their photographs easily float between these worlds, it is by virtue of their ease in creating imagery that seeks homes in both culturally elite and mainstream outlets. For some of their photographs, such as their portrait of Bjork or campaign for Givenchy, van Lamsweerde and Matadin have worked in collaboration with the art directors M/M (Paris), who have also designed this sumptuous retrospective that looks back at "pretty much everything" that the photographers have been working on for over two decades and has brought them to the forefront in the fields of both art and fashion. from amazon.co.uk

^Such a shame I cant find that book. It looks very good...

Tim Walker - Storyteller is an amazing photography book. Very simple design which goes very well with the over the top photography and the dreamy tests around it.

This is as much information I can find at present but this book sounds intriguing.
Olivier Zahm: A Photographic Diary of Fashion, Art, and Sex

By Olivier Zahm & Glenn O'Brien

Paperback: 600 pages
Publisher: Rizzoli International Publications (18 Feb 2014)
ISBN-10: 0847841383
ISBN-13: 978-0847841387
*Amazon.co.uk

Arthur Elgort's Models Manual, ISBN: 0-9639236-0-9

It's a mix of editorial, candid, portrait, from about the 70s -> . Not current. But if you're fond of the 90s models, it's a great book. Highly recommended.

Versace Signatures, ISBN: 1-55859-596-1

features the work of Irving Penn, Herb Ritts, Richard Avedon, and so on
lots of great Versace outfits from the 90s

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roller69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->