Reducing Consumption

Originally posted by nycgirl84@May 29th, 2004 - 7:43 pm
I've been trying to work on helping the environment in tiny ways. I try never to waste water. I turn it off immediately (i.e. don't leave it on while brushing my teeth, try to take shorter showers, etc.) I try to recycle, turn off all electrical appliances that aren't being used (lamps, fans), and not pollute by littering or being careless. It doens't make a dent, but it's something, I guess. I curb any over-consumption by not having much money to consume.
I do these things as well. That's not a lot, but hey, it's something.
Also, I try to buy goods (especially food) that has been produced here.
And I'm a fan of second-hand clothes, I usually don't find stuff I love from regular stores.

Here's a stupid question- it it better for the environment to burn paper in a fireplace or to recycle it? :unsure:

DON'T BURN WOOD OR PAPER! I cannot stress this enough. Trees "breathe in" CO2 and when you burn them it gets released into the atmosphere. In fact, near where I live wood burning ovens are major CO2 contributors.

I also need to read "No logo" soon, I've been meaning to for a long time...

About publically traded companies; they are evil. To varying degrees, I suppose. Like in the Prada interview, I can really understand why Miuccia isn't all excited about going public... If it's a family company, you can do whatever you like as long as you make a living. If you make a profit, big or small, that's fine. As long as your company stays afloat, that's all that matters.

Once you sell yourself to the stock market, you are in their grip. A public company needs to be profitable, a bit more profitable, and even more profitable. Then you need to grow bigger and even bigger, make more and more money. You're not in control, the board and shareholders are. And they demand results... Enough is never enough.

It's sick.

I bought a make up purse in Prada last month and was horrified when I saw the amount of packaging they were going to use to wrap it.

The assistant thought I was really weird when I asked if I could leave the box, tissue, cellophane and huge heavy paper carrier and just put it in my own bag.

What the hell am I gonna do with all that stuff when I get home anyway?

Overpackaging (luxury goods are the worst) is my bugbear. I know to some people it feels special and feels luxurious but to me, well its just waste.

Originally posted by pinkmonkey@Jun 5th, 2004 - 6:25 pm
I bought a make up purse in Prada last month and was horrified when I saw the amount of packaging they were going to use to wrap it.

The assistant thought I was really weird when I asked if I could leave the box, tissue, cellophane and huge heavy paper carrier and just put it in my own bag.

What the hell am I gonna do with all that stuff when I get home anyway?

Overpackaging (luxury goods are the worst) is my bugbear. I know to some people it feels special and feels luxurious but to me, well its just waste.
Sorry, OT: I like that stuff more than the merchandise itself.. I'm obsessed... :innocent:

I always reuse bags that I get from my clothing purchases. They're normally good, strong plastic bags unlike the kind you get from the grocery store.

Originally posted by banana@Jun 5th, 2004 - 10:30 pm
I always reuse bags that I get from my clothing purchases. They're normally good, strong plastic bags unlike the kind you get from the grocery store.
Yeah, I always reuse shopping bags as garbage bags for small cans (like bathroom or bedroom trash cans). Saves money on buying garbage bags, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bellbell
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"