Retouching Photos: Photoshop and Illustrator Q&A

fourboltmain

More Old Skool Than You
Reaction score
I said "Hey, what the hell? It's about time." Post your questions, tips and links. Have a nice day.:flower:

dude...excellent idea...you get karma for this one...!!...:flower:

Ugh.. I'm finally getting used to Photoshop... Now I have to start teaching myself Illustrator. arrrgh!

I am pretty experienced with photoshop (at least I like to think so), so any questions go ahead and ask.

this is good...I've worked more in illustrator --but need to improve both my photoshop and illustrator skills. I was visiting the Adobe help boards...but this is even better since we are fashion minded here at tfs!

softgrey said:
...you get karma for this one...!!...:flower:

It's about time, karma owes me. :wink:

Anyway, Tentopet, check your PM's. And to all of you, I'm not that advanced at Photoshop, but I know a lot of commands and shortcuts. My real strength is working color channels and things like that. I'm learning Illustrator still, so 'll be hitting you guys up for that.

I work in Illustrator X, and Pshop 7. The Illustrator "point average" - (Option-Apple-J), command is a favorite ...a simple way to bring single converging points of different shape vectors together. Great for getting clean precise vertical,horizontal, and other types of angles together. I use it all the time. See simple vectored pic below. Theres a bunch of other ways to add textures, gradients, etc in Illustrator. Check out a quick reference guide at your local Barnes & Noble, etc.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• muleweb.jpg
    muleweb.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited by a moderator:
stilettophile -- does that technique work like using the average-->join or average-->smooth ?

Yeah iv had some intense classes on using photoshop and illustrator and applying them to my fashion design needs. Its exciting! I have some books on photoshop and illustrator with some creat tips so i can always look up things if any of you get really stumped:wink:

marrimoda said:
stilettophile -- does that technique work like using the average-->join or average-->smooth ?

The join command will simply join two (or as many as you select), unconnected points of a line. The point average will take two or more points and intersect them at "average point" on the X & Y axis on your document.

To determine the type of join you would like can be found in the "Stroke" diaglog box. ie. butt,round,bevel, etc. You can select the stroke and cap preference there.

Hope that helps. :smile:

alright thanks I'll have to remember to give that a try with my technical drawings.

Hey--does anyone here have a drawing tablet besides me? Because I just figured out a fun way on photoshop to make fun fabric and print designs on illustrations, and it works okay with a mouse, but it's super-cool with a tablet. Of course, it's something that I'm sure is much cooler on Illustrator anyway, but I'm too stupid to figure that dang program out!

Luna said:
Ugh.. I'm finally getting used to Photoshop... Now I have to start teaching myself Illustrator. arrrgh!

Good luck Luna. Illustrator is a pain in the neck. I've had to work with it in the past and it drove me nuts when I had to do page layouts.

I used to flirt with the computer guy at work so he would help me. :yuk:

On topic answer, Off topic pic....

Tentopet said:
Hey--does anyone here have a drawing tablet besides me? Because I just figured out a fun way on photoshop to make fun fabric and print designs on illustrations, and it works okay with a mouse, but it's super-cool with a tablet. Of course, it's something that I'm sure is much cooler on Illustrator anyway, but I'm too stupid to figure that dang program out!

Hi there,
I use a Wacom Intuos 2 Platinum Tablet. It enables you to run A-Ill & AP-shop like a hot knife through butter.
Been in Illustrator since the beginning of AI...its an amazing program, once you learn to use key commands and other little tricks. Practice will get you there. Attached is a sketch done in illustrator...sorry it isnt shoes, but needed to show the program versatility. Hang in there!

:D

Attachments

• OCEANGODDESS-web.jpg
    OCEANGODDESS-web.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 13
I also have a table from Wacom, it´s one of the basics but i love it!
It´s just fabulous to work in both programs, but i think that it works better in Photoshop because of the details in photography treatment.
As Illustrator is a vectorial program if you don´t have one it´s not that problematic, but i think that in Photoshop is just a must. :smile:

I havent got a tablet yet...but as far as fabric rendering, I am pretty sure itsdone more in photoshop than illustrator. I was taught to use photoshop for that, or import the swatch into illustrator.

ohgod !
all my photoshop skills are pure hit & miss !
a little tweaking here & there ! haha :lol:

this thread should be useful :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->