Retouching Photos: Photoshop and Illustrator Q&A

Yeah, see it seems like you guys are super-knowledgable with these programs anyway, so I'm actually unsure if it's like, "DUH!" But I've just learned the beauty of defining brushes. I knew you could do it, but I didn't think about the fact that you can create some cool fabrics that way. Again, I'm sure you can do more amazing things in that direction with Illustrator--BUT--it's fun! If you mess with the spacing so that it's pretty wide, you can do cool swoopy motions with whatever shape you saved as a brush--anything from stars, boxes, butterflies, etc. And with a tablet, you can make it all pressure sensitive, which is fun. Methinks this would be a fun way to make designs on tee shirts with your illustrations and whatnot. But like I said, you guys have probably already thought about this...

I never did. I think the manual is more for those who teach other people the program, becase they have to know everything.

^ Yeah, you'll come a long way with that :wink: And some time, you can't really become an expert in a month...

I have been using Photoshop for my needs since many years, and a bit of Illustrator, too, but neglected it a lot lately, cause i was going more for the "handicrafted" look. i am by no means good at it, i just discover the (basic) features i need by trial and error...
2 questions:
-where can i find a list of illustrator shortcuts?
-can a mimick fabrics/structures in illustrator, too?

I have photoshop 7.0 now, and find that the fonts are very dull. Could someone please direct me to a site that has free photoshop fonts? Thank you :flower:

Avant Garde said:
I have photoshop 7.0 now, and find that the fonts are very dull. Could someone please direct me to a site that has free photoshop fonts? Thank you :flower:
i downloaded many fonts from www.dafont.com
they have various types of fonts :flower:

ingvildel said:
I never did. I think the manual is more for those who teach other people the program, becase they have to know everything.

That is not true.
No one knows everything about photoshop, not even those who created it.

I teach it and i cannot for sure say that i know everything, wish i did though! :P But believe me that each time i find something new, and by saying something new i mean that there are a lot of really small things that the average user will rarely know/need about them.

I once had a student that told me he went to a Photoshop conference and one of the creators told the people who were assisting that even she did not know everything about Photoshop.

Photoshop is a world, and even in a 100 hour course you couldn´t teach everything. :ninja:

But imo, with every software you learn, most of the things will be learnt with the usage of the programme and not only with classes.

My advise is to use the Help of the Photoshop, because it´s really good for common answers to your questions.:flower:

sounds splendid! i'm currently googling a lot on how to make blah digital pix look like they came from medium format (mamiya or the like), any ideas?

(edit: is that the kind of manipulating you meant, photoshop and such?)

Last edited by a moderator:
sounds splendid! i'm currently googling a lot on how to make blah digital pix look like they came from medium format (mamiya or the like), any ideas?

(edit: is that the kind of manipulating you meant, photoshop and such?)

about changin a pic to medium format am not so sure though I know that increasing the dpi and reducing on noise may help if you plan to print it

i'm currently googling a lot on how to make blah digital pix look like they came from medium format (mamiya or the like), any ideas?

I like taking pixelated shots, like 1600 ISO or so and then ADDING grain in Photoshop to make it look like old film. The trick is to get it black and white, no greys. Then separate the lows, mids and highs.

'But wait FBM! You said no greys!'

I did! :magic: Your greys are now determined by density, if you get my drift. Then I separate them with the magic wand and add all kinds of harsh grain to the darkest, then less to the mids, and a little less to the highs. Then SMACK! You flatten that b!tch out and you have just stuck vector info (the grain, believe it or not) onto a raster file (the bitmap) that actually fools the eye into thinking you have resolution in the disguise of grain.

If you're talking about putting putting those nifty frames around the shots with the film ID, like 'ILFORD HP5 >> 5 >>', add an outside stroke in black and then go back and find a font that looks close. I find Swiss 721 works best: http://www.fontpool.com/fonts/bitstream/swiss_721.html

And, to get that Hasselblad effect, just cut the corners on the shots. I've been taping off the corners on my Holgas just to peeve the Hassie fans. :ninja:

Of course, the best way to get the mid format look is to use one and scan your images in for tweaking. You can get an RB67 for $300 on fLeabay!

Questions for using Adobe Photoshop

This is from the Flair June 2007 issue, and the effect seems to coloring over the original photograph in photoshop while leaving some parts untouched. See more images here. Are there any tutorials out there teaching this kind of effect? Thanks for any help!

4y8icsi.png

6heqsmu.png
4ulgh2q.png

fotodecadent

I Honestly don't think that there is a way to convert a picture into a sketch with shades and pencil marks like that..I just think that they took photos and wherever the model was the they would have it as a drawing..and as you over lap the images together, you just erase the model and have the sketch show..

just a guess..although I do remember this style of drawing..in something like Numero with Kate Moss..

Yes, with my high experience with photoshop, I can guarantee you that there is no way to do that.

What they did was they hand-drew the photos, then cut and paste the actual photos on the drawing. So they are actually two different layers overlapping each other.

What they did was they hand-drew the photos, then cut and paste the actual photos on the drawing. So they are actually two different layers overlapping each other.

I see what you mean now. Thanks for the replies :flower:

That's such a gorgeous series, love the idea too. Must have been very time consuming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ross640
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->