Rodarte and Mac Cancelled?

Discussion in 'In the News...' started by GivenchyHomme, Aug 17, 2010.

1. GivenchyHomme

GivenchyHomme Well-Known Member

This is just sorry. It was a beautiful line. Yet again something is ruined because people must find controversy wherever they can.

thecut

#1 GivenchyHomme, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited by moderator Jill69: Aug 17, 2010
  2. modela

modela Well-Known Member

I actually thought that the controversy was justified , but that just me.^_^I actually cant believe that they didnt know about Juarez and i find it a coincidence that they named some of their products Ghosttown and Factory .:rolleyes:

3. miu_miu

miu_miu little soul

Well this is MAC so they'll rename and release the colours in another collection I'm sure :rolleyes:

4. Scott

Scott Stitch:the Hand

rather a shame people are that sensitive. yes there is a lot that's going on down there,but perhaps the girls were just trying to search for a bit of beauty amongst the ugliness that exists there.

5. Katie123

Katie123 New Member

i think there WAS a reason for all the uproar, i mean MAC is a massive company, surely they invest loads in their research on names in order to try to please everybody?

i don't think it's a reason to cancel it altogether though. they apologised, said the money would go on to help victims in juarez, didn't they? surely they've admitted the mistake and should just re-name it and move on with it...

6. modela

modela Well-Known Member

Sensitive ? :blink: Girls are being raped and murdered ,thrown away like their lives had no meaning on a regular basis.This is RODARTE being pretentious and it backfired.Them cancelling was their own decision and they could have renamed the package and release it later.

#6 modela, Aug 17, 2010
    Last edited by moderator : Aug 17, 2010
  7. Fabulyss

Fabulyss Active Member

^And you think a nail polish named 'Juarez' is condoning and supporting that?!

Please! People are so whiny. Everyone has to walk on eggshells these days. For God's sake, it's MAC! They have a pale pink lip gloss called 'underage'...it's always been a little edgy.

8. modela

modela Well-Known Member

I have never said that MAC was condoning what happened in Mexico.!!!

9. MulletProof

MulletProof Well-Known Member

I found the theme of the collection to be a very touching one when they described it as being inspired by the murders of Juarez and the victims and how young they are and the lives they could've led.. I was happy someone thought about them like that instead of just something too horrible to be shared, and I was happy too for the attention they brought to the cases..
    That being said, the Mac line was just completely tasteless.. people say well that's what happens there, that's how it is, get over it and certainly forget that even if it all looks very messy in Juarez right now, the current Cartel war is unrelated to the sexist murders that have been happening there for almost two decades, what they have in common is the government, but they're separated subjects and the murders of Juarez, if some research is done, follow very specific methods of killing women.. they're often indigenous, they work at factories and they're tortured right before they're murdered.. so, to name an eyeshadow (whatever that was) "factory", I'm sorry but.. ??!, it's just offensive, you can present a line that supports the investigations and families of the victims without having to use the profiles of the murder so literally and almost show it like a creepy souvenir of a 'ghost town'.. Juarez is not a ghost town, it's a city that's been through a lot and a city where real people live and are NOT used to the violence and fear they're being under right now.. I only wish the Rodarte girls had actually spent some time there to realise that and sensibilise with the actual situation instead of drawing their conclusions from afar and get quirky about it.

For some reason, their whole line reminds me of the 'toxic' themed party in the Virgin Suicides movie. A twisted sense of humor is necessary but when it's uninformed and superficial, the wit goes away and it becomes more something to feel second-hand embarrassment for.

10. tigerrouge

tigerrouge don't look down

I look forward to them producing a grey eyeshadow set called 'twin towers'. The search for beauty must go on! It can probably be found everywhere - as long as you don't think too much about it. Because it's such a drag when social sensitivities get in the way of enjoying things like nail varnish. I know what's more important, and so will you when you see my nails! Because the worst thing ever would be to whine about the subject, you know, and companies shouldn't have to fear someone spoiling the fun by pointing out issues about their marketing vocabulary. We live to shop, not die in a ditch, so this situation represents a real inconvenience to us.

11. Psylocke

Psylocke Active Member

Well said, Mulletproof! I'm usually not easily offended by anyone's creative outburst and can appreciate many forms of art and all its controversy but that's definietly taking it too far. It's neither funny nor is there any relevance to naming a nail polish after a series of murder which goes on killing people and destroying so many lives.
    I think MAC made the right decision by pulling out of this. I can't imagine they could have helped the victims much by donating money from the sales of an absurdly named nail polish. It's a big faux pas on their side to not have realized this sooner.

12. Jungla_Juana

Jungla_Juana technicolor tweed

The thought of a ditzy girl skipping around MAC picking up "Quinceanera" and "Factory" to show off on her Youtube makeup channel made me sick.

How devoted to the cause are the Rodarte sisters exactly? They don't strike me as activist designers, like for example Franco Moschino, who constantly used fashion to convey a witty commentary on politics and the fashion world... which is why I am disgusted that they would choose this ongoing violation of human rights as their oddball inspiration of the season.

13. t-rex

t-rex everything sucks!

The attitude of The Cut's article is disgusting.

14. Kora

Kora Active Member

Just wondering, what would be the color of the "Juarez" nail polish, red? I don't quite get the whole idea behind naming products (or kids) after cities. Well, I could see why someone would want to name an eye shadow "blue lagoon" for the beauty of the color, but Juarez is just plain stupid in my opinion. People buy products because they are or the name might be synonymous with something beautiful or something that makes them feel better more beautiful. i agree about abandoning the line strictly because the names were absolute nonsense.

15. Unknownpleasures

Unknownpleasures New Member

Well,the first time I heard about a nail polish called "Juarez" I was like uhmm what?Seriously? What tone is that nail polish? Idk I guess I was just curious and although the line sounded cool (They were going to launch the line oficially on september 16 which relates to some act in Mexico's independence,I think) and apparently everything was related to the beauty and colors of Mexico,etc,I wasn't very fond of the idea.

16. silk skin paws

silk skin paws doldrums

Well if I wore MAC I definitely would boycott their products if this line were distributed. I don't believe Rodarte fully grasped the concept of the plight of women and their families by naming a nail polish 'Juarez'. It's not only in poor taste it's also this disregard of understanding or perhaps having empathy for others who aren't in their world see fashion, rich, the established, the famous etc.

17. TREVOFASHIONISTO

TREVOFASHIONISTO Well-Known Member

It just doesnt seem like Rodarte had much incite in naming the products
    i think they probably just chose the colors...Either way bad idea to just cancel it
    it would have been just as easy to rename the products

18. Legyviel

Legyviel in the mood for love

Don't know how I feel about this. I was excited about the collection and it's a pity it got cancelled... But the names were a little insensitive, I guess. I agree that renaming the products probably would have been sufficient.

19. lucy92

lucy92 Mod Squad Team Leader

cosmetic companies actually spend a lot of money vetting and deciding on product names. mac was completely short sighted to defer to rodarte on the names.

my initial impression when i first saw the promo images months ago without reading the names of the products that the line was inspired by a dead girl.

did anyone else get that impression?

(image - refinery29)

Attached Files:

20. Katie123

Katie123 New Member

i would think maybe they took the 'day of the dead' idea?