Rose Kennedy Schlossberg

Stars shine at JFK Library Foundation dinner (May 24, 2010)

Former first daughter Caroline Kennedy and her daughter Rose Kennedy Schlossberg, hosted many members of the Kennedy clan, a couple of celebs, a plethora of pols and a bunch of Boston bold-facers last night at the John F. Kennedy Library Foundation’s 21st annual May Dinner.

In addition to Vicki Kennedy and Ambassador Jean Kennedy Smith, late-night-yakker-on-hiatus Conan O’Brien, Viacom chief Sumner Redstone, Patriots [team stats] pooh-bah Robert Kraft and Boston Pops maestro Keith Lockhart also were in attendance. (Conan’s a newly appointed board member, don’t cha know.) Singer and ‘30 Rock’ star Jane Krakowski entertained the 600 guests at the black-tie gala.
ipbmmp.jpg
[/IMG]
news.bostonherald.com

Last edited by a moderator:
And a news article I found:
Jackie 2.0:

There is something so familiar about the young brunette girl in the club wearing a simple white tee and jeans. The perfectly symmetrical features, the big eyes. The graceful way she carries herself — not like a model, exactly, more like royalty.
It’s Jackie Kennedy all over again.
Rose Kennedy Schlossberg, eldest daughter of Caroline Kennedy, has been channeling the look and style of her late, fabulous grandmother ever since she was a teen.
So far, she’s kept a low profile. But as she graduates from Harvard University next Thursday with a bachelor’s degree in English and starts to make her way in the world, she will be impossible to ignore — especially as her doppelganger is about to experience a cultural resurgence.
ackie O is the subject of dueling film projects, both due out next year, and last week, Hyperion announced it would publish a series of interviews she recorded in 1964 with historian and family friend Arthur M. Schlesinger Jr.
Schlesinger, who started out as a speechwriter for JFK in 1960, stayed close to the family through three generations and got to know Jackie’s granddaughter before his death in 2007.
“Rose was and is the leader of the pack — her opinion counts. She is highly regarded within the ever-
expanding [Kennedy] circle,” the Pulitzer-winning author told biographer C. David Heymann in an interview for “American Legacy: The Story of John & Caroline Kennedy.”
“In many respects,” he said, “she is the face and future of the clan.”
Rose Kennedy Schlossberg was raised on the Upper East Side, the eldest of three children of artist Edwin Schlossberg and, of course, Caroline Kennedy. Her name, which came from her great-grandmother, was chosen not by her mother but by Jackie — who, ironically, never liked her mother-in-law, or vice versa. But as she once told press secretary Pierre Salinger, “The old bat’s about 100 years old, so let’s give her some respect.”
The former first lady was a regular presence in Rose’s life, right up until Jackie’s death in May 1994, when her granddaughter was 5. Jackie used to make regular visits to the Schlossbergs’ apartment for what she called a “roll around” with baby Rose. When Rose was a little older, “Grand Jackie” — the Schlossbergs’ name for “grandma” — would take her on outings to playgrounds and museums, including the Met, right across the street from Jackie’s apartment.
“Jackie, who lived just a few blocks away from the Schlossbergs on the Upper East Side, saw Rose basically every day and doted on her,” says Kennedy biographer Christopher Andersen. “Jackie knew it was important to sow the seeds of good behavior early on, and she tried to do that in the final years of her life. It was a mission for her.”
Jackie’s neighbor Barbara Stoller told Heymann about seeing Jackie in the playground near Central Park “in T-shirt and jeans with those famous large oval sunglasses on her face, pushing Rose back and forth on the swing . . . Jackie would talk to Rose as if she were addressing an adult.”

Jackie even showed up once to chaperone a school trip to the American Museum of Natural History, and the fashion icon was the only grandmother in the bunch. On another visit to the museum with Rose, Jackie brought along a family friend, Harvard economist John Kenneth Galbraith. “Rose was all over the place, 20 yards ahead of us, a real hell-raiser,” he told Heymann. “She reminded me of Jackie when she was young. Rose was very bright and very independent.”

Along with younger sister Tatiana, Rose attended the posh Brearley School, which costs $34,000 a year. Here, says one former teacher who asked that her name be withheld, Rose kept a low profile but stood out in spite of herself.
“She tried not to draw attention to herself, which was quite a task considering her family name,” she told Heymann. “Rose looked like Jackie, perhaps even a bit sexier looking, though not as refined. She has the dark good looks of a Bouvier and the sensibility of a Kennedy.”
Growing up in the simultaneous glow of family celebrity and the shroud of constant tragedy wasn’t easy. The death of her beloved uncle John in 1999 hit her hard.
“Rose withdrew after John’s death,” a member of the Kennedy family told Heymann. “He’d been like a father to her. She went into a six-month depression during which she barely spoke to anyone. She stopped eating — she must have lost 30 pounds.
“If there was a saving grace, it was that both Jackie and John Jr. left her considerable trust funds. At the age of 14, Rose was worth millions.”
Grief put her off track academically, but only for a short time. “She did extremely well in school, evidenced by the fact that she wound up at Harvard, although I suppose you could argue that every Kennedy winds up at Harvard — or its equivalent,” said the Brearley teacher.
By all accounts, Rose seems to have passed herself off as a civilian at the Ivy League university, studying English, taking film classes and cultivating an interest in fashion — an indication the formative years spent with Jackie were paying off.
She took part in Project East, a Harvard-based charity, which hosts an annual fashion show combining established Asian designers (Vera Wang, most recently) with emerging ones. Rose, a member of the executive board, has walked the runway as a model for the past two years. Bruce Mount, the photographer who shot her in her most recent show, says he wasn’t initially aware of Rose’s dynastic history.

“When I was taking pictures of her, I had no idea who she was,” Mount told The Post. But, he adds, “there were no airs about her of being a princess. She was just a normal person working hard to make the show a success — very pleasant and professional.”
After the show, he started finding his Rose photos all over. “Once they came out,” he says, “people started grabbing them and reposting them.”
Project East wasn’t Rose’s first foray into publicizing small designers. In 2007, friends convinced her to pose for the local T-shirt label Only NY. “We did a little shoot in the neighborhood,” one of the label’s founders says, “and my friend who was shooting it knew her. So she just came along, and we took photos and had fun.”

Like Mount, he had no idea he was working with a Kennedy. “I didn’t even know who she was,” he says. But the Rose pictures were the ones that garnered major attention in the lookbook, both in the number of hits and in comments. “The one of her in front of the fence, that was a lot of people’s favorite,” he says.
At college, freed from the protective embrace of her parents, Rose found herself occasionally keeping company with high-wattage friends — a hobby that her A-list uncle, JFK Jr., also enjoyed. “She’s in the fast lane,” a source close to the family tells The Post.
In January of last year, she was spotted giving a tour of the Harvard campus to none other than Lindsay Lohan and Samantha Ronson. That night, the odd threesome was spotted out at the Boston nightclub Estate. Rose also brought a high-profile date — fellow student Mike Einziger, guitarist for the band Incubus.
“They all came in together, and they all left together,” says an Estate representative. “Samantha was spinning, but Lindsay hung out with Mike and Rose. I couldn’t tell if [Mike and Rose] were together, but it seemed like they were pretty close.
“She wasn’t drinking, I believe,” he hastily added.
It was an unusually public night out for a young woman who’d managed to stay out of the Boston media spotlight — and perhaps the ensuing coverage rattled her. Rose hasn’t been spotted out carousing since then, say Boston gossip sources.
“She’s not out on the town much, or we would know it,” says Gayle Fee, columnist for the Boston Herald.
“I have yet to see her around,” says Boston Globe party photographer Bill Brett. “And,” he points out about her one social appearance, “Estate is kind of a quiet club. If you didn’t know it was there, you’d never find it.”
Perhaps Rose had simply figured out what her grandmother knew as a young woman: You can go out as much as you want as long as you figure out how to not get caught. Jackie used to go out with boys all the time when she was a student at Vassar — she just didn’t broadcast it.

“She dated frequently . . . but she never named names, never disclosed herself,” Heymann quotes her Vassar classmate Selwa Showker as saying.
The young Bouvier also had a habit of sneaking cigarettes in her dorm room while at Miss Porter’s School for Girls — and was even once caught in a bawdy photo pose, with her shirt off the shoulder and a sultry look on her face. The photo eventually made its way back to her family (and earned her a stern talking-to from her grandfather).
But in the age of Facebook, Flickr and the iPhone, nobody gets off that easy. Snaps abound online of Rose in typically collegiate poses: blowing smoke rings while slumped against a wall; brandishing a keg cup and a grin; watching a friend smoke a hookah; kissing a guy and a girl at the same time. Nothing too incriminating — especially given her “Gossip Girl”-esque upbringing — but certainly evidence that she enjoys a party.

Then there was that incident in the limo on Aug. 27, 2009. Riding in the motorcade on the way to Uncle Teddy’s funeral, she flipped off the paparazzi — and, intentionally or not, the crowd behind them.
It could have been simply a 21-year-old’s reaction to the glare of media scrutiny at a difficult time. But it was also a subconscious nod to her grandmother, who had been in the habit of grumbling, early on in her marriage, about riding in limos with her campaigning husband.
But biographer Andersen believes that Jackie — regardless of her true feelings — would never have been filmed making such rude gestures to the public. “If Jackie were around today,” he says, “I can only imagine the kind of talking-to she would give her granddaughter.”
Understandably, the stresses of a political family may have spooked Rose enough to keep her from ever running for office herself. Her on-campus political activity seems to have been nil: “I’m sorry to say,” a spokesman for the Harvard College Democrats says, “that Rose has not been an active member during my time here.”
She’s been a cheerleader for her mom, though, first supporting her potential Senate run in 2008 — telling the Harvard Crimson that she thought “it’s an exciting prospect and look forward to whatever role my mom chooses to play in this new era of American politics” — and, later, encouraging her to let it go. When Caroline took herself out of the running, her decision was said to be influenced by Rose, who advised her mother to rise above the ugly name-calling that ensued after a few public interviews went badly. “You’re above it,” she reportedly told her mother. “You ought to quit.”
Rose hasn’t been totally politically dormant: She did donate $350 to the Obama campaign, public records show, and she reportedly volunteered for Democrat Alan Khazei’s campaign for US Senate in Massachusetts last year. (The Khazei campaign did not respond to requests for comment.)
Perhaps the pressure to seek political office will win out over the risks she’s seen befall family members who came before her.
If Jackie gave Rose the fashion gene, she got an equal dose of political DNA from JFK. And she made one telling, if offhand, comment to a relative upon hearing that her cousin Patrick would not seek re-election to his Rhode Island congressional seat: “I’d better hurry up,” she said, “and run for something.”
Whether or not she was joking, it’s a good bet that soon we’ll be seeing a lot more of Rose.

nypost.com

She's a Kennedy for sure. :heart: It's too bad about cousin Patrick not running in Rhode Island. I hope Joe runs for something in Mass. again. We need the Kennedys more than ever. They all rock, because they are a true clan and they have the same principles. I doubt Rose will enter directly into politics. Maybe she will do something like be a journalist or publishing. I can see her going a route like Maria Shriver, perhaps.

Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg (L) and her daughter Rose (R) leave the family compound after the casket of U.S. Senator Edward Kennedy was removed by members of a United States military honor guard in Hyannisport, Massachusetts August 27, 2009.

daylife

She looks so sad! That must have been a very hard day for her family. But I love her dress. And I love that she wore navy instead of black. Or at least it looks like navy, but it's hard to tell.

I don't think these were ever posted either:
Caroline Kennedy (right) is joined by her family at the grave of her father, slain President John F. Kennedy, at Arlington National Cemetery in Arlington, Va., on the 40th anniversary of JFK's death in this 2003 photo. Joining her in the front row are ( from right:( her son, John Schlossberg; her husband, Edwin Schlossberg; and her daughters, Tatiana and Rose Schlossberg.

blog.syracuse.com

Caroline Kennedy and her family get away for the holidays as they enjoy a relaxing day on the beach in St. Barth, France on December 24, 2009. Pictured: Caroline Kennedy, Rose Schlossberg, Tatiana Schlossberg. Sorry it's so small

hollywoodeastrumors

Thanks!!!! I never notice before how much Tatiana resembles Caroline, and I think Jack resembles Uncle John, and Rose resembles Jackie. I like that the kids are not too cool to hang out with their parents. They are a nice, close family with good sense and good values, in the tradition of the Kennedy way.:heart:

^ is that really her though?

Love the pics of them on the beach. They seem like a nice family.

^ I think that really is her. I guess she is making films now. Look at this article I found:

"Moshup & Me: Tribal Story Spurs Neighbor’s Movie"

By MEGAN DOOLEY

Once there was a giant named Moshup who created the Island of Martha’s Vineyard to escape violent war and fighting on the mainland. Isolated on the tiny bit of land surrounded by sea, he one day became homesick, and set out to build a bridge back to the mainland. He waded out into the Vineyard Sound and threw down a trail of giant boulders to step across. But in the middle of his effort, Moshup was bitten on the toe by a crab, and returned home to nurse his wounds. He never resumed his project, and his bridge remains unfinished. The boulders, which form a sort of sea trail between Aquinnah and Cuttyhunk, are now known as Devil’s Bridge.
Or so one version of the story goes.

On Wednesday night, Islanders gathered on folding chairs set up in a tiny room of the Vanderhoop Homestead, home of the Aquinnah Cultural Center, to watch a film that addressed the legends of Moshup from an unusual perspective — that of an outsider.

Seasonal Aquinnah resident Rose Kennedy Schlossberg is not a member of the Wampanoag Tribe that credits Moshup with the creation of their landscape. But growing up, she and her siblings were affected by the stories just the same.

“I was always interested in the mythology surrounding the creation of this area, which is very particular to the tribe,” said Ms. Schlossberg, introducing her documentary short film The Legends of Moshup.

As a child, she attended the annual pageants at which the tribal people acted out those legends. Then in her senior year at Harvard University, when Ms. Schlossberg took a personal documentary film class, she opted to explore her connection to the legends of her neighbors as part of a class project.

“The reason why I wanted to make this video was because I had been fascinated by the legends of the tribe and the heroes in this place,” she said. “I wanted to document that in a certain way, and it ended up being filtered through my family’s experience and my own childhood coming here.”

The film became not only an exploration of the tribal legends’ effect on her own family, but a testament to the oral history that has kept the stories circulating among the Wampanoag people for hundreds of years.

The film was narrated by tribal member Adriana Ignacio, who shared a handful of Moshup’s mythic experiences and explained why legends like that of Devil’s Bridge have taken hold among the Wampanoag people for centuries. Other speakers included Ms. Schlossberg’s brother, Jack, and sister, Tatiana. who explored their own reactions to the legends. Jack, for instance, remembers being scared sleepless for nearly four years as a child after hearing stories of a Wampanoag antihero and Moshup nemesis who liked to cut out the eyelids of women so their eyes were left forever open. Later, a tribal member said that legends of Cheepee were as effective as a wooden spoon in discouraging bad behavior in her and her siblings as youngsters.
But Ms. Schlossberg didn’t claim consistency in her own family’s versions of the legends.

“Our interpretations, or memories of them would be a little bit distorted,” she said, adding that the stories aren’t necessarily meant to be consistent. Instead, they become a product of each individual’s perspective and experience.

They also serve different people in different ways.

“Different stories are used for different purposes,” said tribal member Tobias Vanderhoop in a discussion following the film screening.

“There’s the creation story of our home, but then . . . there are stories told for the purpose of helping people understand; if you’re connected to the Wampanoag community, then there’s an expectation of how you should act. Or an expectation of what you should do in your role as a man or a woman. And it would be different people who would tell these stories. So the stories may not always come out exactly the same,” he said.

But that’s the beauty of oral history, Mr. Vanderhoop said.

“I am very staunch about not having our stories written down and put into books,” he said. “Our oral tradition is a living tradition.”

Set the words to paper, and you suddenly invite conflict over whose version of events is accurate, he added.

The landscape played a large role in the legends of Moshup and in the film. In scenes wedged between interviews and narrated clips, Ms. Schlossberg captured the quiet beauty of Aquinnah. A crystal clear Witch Pond; wind blowing through the tall grasses lining a footpath through a remote field; a view of the ocean from the top of the Gay Head Lighthouse. Or the fog coming up over cliffs and sandy dunes, which Ms. Ignacio said was believed to be smoke from Moshup’s tobacco pipe. “We believe that that is Moshup, still in our presence today,” she said in the film.

Ms. Schlossberg said that the screening at the Vanderhoop Homestead will likely be the extent of her small film’s distribution. It’s available to watch online, but she said she has no plans to take it any further. But perhaps this is a first step in a filmmaking career; after graduating from Harvard in the spring, she now has plans to move to New York and work in the film industry on documentary films.
Though the film was meant to tell the story of Ms. Schlossberg’s own experiences, along with those of her family, she never turned the camera on herself. She said that while she didn’t appear onscreen, she was in the film in many ways. Her voice came through, asking questions, and, as she put it, “prodding for the right answers.”

The style she chose for the final cut was, she said, the most effective way to tell the story she hoped to tell. She explained it as keeping a part of herself invisible, but still present.

“Hearing [the stories] coming from my brother and my sister actually became a lot more interesting to me, and made it feel much more personal,” she said.
2q1hs3d.jpg

mvgazette.com

281es6q.jpg

xi-a.com
25hjn8k.jpg

facebook.com/roseschlossberg

the kennedy family forums

http://i38.***********/u/f38/11/78/63/65/48778910.jpg

http://i38.***********/u/f38/11/78/63/65/jfk-li10.jpg

http://i38.***********/u/f38/11/78/63/65/2wrf7u11.jpg

2ujgktx.jpg

9jkvls.jpg

2rz86zm.jpg

2m7ak40.jpg

acvigx.jpg

10e3pra.jpg

mrtkiv.jpg

facebook.com/roseschlossberg & the kennedy family forums

Rose in NYC in 2003:
2wrjmli.jpg

axyxc7.jpg

166aq20.jpg

bulls press via the kennedy family forums

She would be stylish wearing a potato sack. The girl has good genes, for sure:flower:

The pic of her with great-uncle Ted make me so sad. I miss him so much, weird I guess because I never knew him. He was so inspirational. He was amazing. Even in his 20s he knew what he wanted to spend his life fighting for.

Rose is so pretty. Her sister is growing up nicely too. I didn't expect Tatiana to be remarkably pretty but now I think she will be quite as pretty as Rose.

the kennedy family forums

http://i38.***********/u/f38/11/78/63/65/2cyla310.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hosewearer
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->