Sarah Burton - Designer, Creative Director of Givenchy

Burton could never do Chanel. She has zero sense of lightness. Her work always looks as heavy as an anvil. She'd make tweed look like lead.

Not sure what you're seeing but ive seen her do a tweed biker jacket that looked more desirable than anything virginie has done. And she always uses heavy fabrics and make them move like silk.

As for Sarah Burton not being French, I wonder how much of an issue that actually is. After all the CEO is not French speaking, the global HQ for most operations (apart from creative) is in London nowadays.
It has more to do with the day to day activities of a fashion house and fashion operations being handled in Paris.
Chanel president have never French but the president of fashion, Bruno Pavlovsky, is.

The Weirthemers don’t live in France and of course it’s not relevant to build a strategy for the brand.

But it becomes relevant when you have to deal with an atelier, with suppliers and all.
It’s not impossible. But Chanel compared to a lot of brands in fashion has really been French-centric for a very longtime, even if they can all speak English somehow.

Massively here for Sarah Burton taking over Givenchy. A crying shame to see such a storied fashion house like Givenchy go to absolute waste, and without a clear and consistent direction for so long! The brand needs stability more than ever before.

That will be a full circle moment for her and I hope she succeeds and I think she will she understands commercial ability shows store setup she's been in the business a long time and she deserves it and that's the most important thing she has loyalty brains style and she's a hell of a cutter

I do think she could do really well at Givenchy, given that there are more rooms to play around and show case her skills. Truly Givenchy has potential to be an equal men and womens couture house and with her and the right exec they could do wonders.

Givenchy under Sarah Burton — brilliant. LVMH doesn't need another brand selling streetwear and dresses for the MTV Video Music Awards. Kenzo, Off-White, Loewe, and Pharrell's LV pretty much have that part of the market covered. Tailored-but-edgy clothing for Generation Xers who don't take their cues from K-pop stars or high schoolers on TikTok but also aren't ready to give up and just go Loro Piana yet? This would be where Burton's Givenchy comes in.

Burton has the technical skills and is capable of having a point of view, the latter of which is something Givenchy has lacked since Riccardo left.

It's not a radical or controversial point of view, but it's there and if LVMH hung on to that placeholder for 4 years they'll probably give her time to come up with something good even if the first collection doesn't dominate tiktok rightaway.

I absolutely wish her the best. Can't wait to see what she pulls out her hat. Also this is a great war. Let go at McQueen and Kering group picked up by the competition! The same competition that kicked her predecessor out. This is fun to watch! Givenchy she is a completely dead brand I could care less so I hope she put a spend on things and bring some regal heritage to the Brand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianapalm
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->