Seán McGirr - Designer, Creative Director of Alexander McQueen

But Laner's taste is supposed to be kinda shoddy at times. I really don't like the dress, but on her I feel like it kinda works for some reason. That being said stay the f*ck away from her.
Exactly. This kind of fashion is the last thing I like, but… come on, it was not THAT BAD. It was inoffensive. Yes, the tulle looks cheap, but that’s about it.

I think his first show was on purpose, mainly to put everybody’s eyes on McQueen, and he did get that. I didn’t even remember last time I saw a McQueen show… they were next level corny and insufferable under Burton.

burton = corny and mcgirr = eyecatching. choices.

this is why fashion is in the state its at. we get what we deserve.

it was offensive and was a mockery of the original.

Exactly. This kind of fashion is the last thing I like, but… come on, it was not THAT BAD. It was inoffensive. Yes, the tulle looks cheap, but that’s about it.

I think his first show was on purpose, mainly to put everybody’s eyes on McQueen, and he did get that. I didn’t even remember last time I saw a McQueen show… they were next level corny and insufferable under Burton.
some truly dreadful takes here i'm afraid

I just analysed the dress on Lana. It is so, so bad! It pales majorly in comparison to the original. It looks like graduate student work. It made me feel icky.
What happened to the design studio? There must be some savoir faire left in the building

View attachment 1268931

I wonder who approached who for this collab. And I wonder if maybe Lana will become image of McQueen just like she was image of Gucci when she went to the MET Gala dressed in Gucci. I would like a Lana Del Rey campaign but not really excited if it is with McGirr's clothes. Maybe a perfume would be better like with Gucci.
She is Waiting for AM valentino to be on track

it was offensive and was a mockery of the original.
I can't with the word "offensive" in fashion. Same with "mockery".

He is just doing clothes, there is nothing offensive in what he did. It was ugly, yeah. Bad edited, yeah. Offensive? No.

This idea of the fashion houses being something "sacré"... I can't. They are businesses. If McQueen wouldn't have wanted anybody to do offensive things under his name, he could've started by not selling his company to Gucci Group. Maybe we wouldn't even be talking about him if that was the case.

It reminds me of when KL said people were screaming that what he was doing at Chanel was so offensive and that Chanel was turning in her grave. Who cares? They are just clothes. Chanel under Karl was as "offensive" as what this guy is doing. People said the same about Galliano. It is just something that belongs to 1980 conversations. We are way ahead of that. It is 2024.

I can't with the word "offensive" in fashion. Same with "mockery".

He is just doing clothes, there is nothing offensive in what he did. It was ugly, yeah. Bad edited, yeah. Offensive? No.
it's offensive if it offended people. it offended pretty much all of us, hence it's offensive. hope this helps

So what Galliano did at Dior was offensive. It was a dragqueen runway for many and disrespected the legacy and the honor of Monsieur Dior, who surely can’t rest in piece since he saw from the clouds the garments your idol did. Lmao 🤣

Literally the same. So you are a fan of somebody that offended many people because he did “ugly” garments for some. I guess that is not ethical.

The fashion world is so ridiculous sometimes.

hopefully you dont actually think Mcgirrs skill level is on par with Galliano and karl lagerfeld. And surely this forum exists because fashion is "just a business". That's why everyone ever only talks about sales when threads for new collections come. We all get excited seeing people just make clothes and sell it for outrageous prices no matter how cheap they look.

Mcqueen's fans are first to applaud if this guy ever makes an actually offensive clothing for regular people. As long as the tailoring, cut, fabric choices, and silhouette are all on par with galliano and karl lagerfeld. And it doesnt look like a mcqueen for temu collab.

I don’t know yet. I’ve seen one collection by him and he doesn’t seem talented. But if I you asked me the same question about John had I only seen ONE of his latest collections for Dior, I would have thought Galliano is not talented. Or if you showed me just one ugly collection by Karl, probably the same.

He just did one collection. It doesn’t seem promising and we probably are not in front of a fashion genius. But considering the state of fashion during the last… 15 years, I don’t know why people are so dramatic about that ugly show.

I don’t know yet. I’ve seen one collection by him and he doesn’t seem talented. But if I you asked me the same question about John had I only seen ONE of his latest collections for Dior, I would have thought Galliano is not talented. Or if you showed me just one ugly collection by Karl, probably the same.
That is absolutely not a valid comparison. We’re not talking about collections that were done later in their careers, we know that there were different factors that contributed to the mediocrity of it. Year by year Galliano was forced to tone it down to the point where it no longer had soul. A fair comparison would be his first collection that he did for Dior or Givenchy. That is what should be judged. First impressions are everything, it says a lot about a designer. For a house like McQueen, the sky should have been the limit. His employment history or where he went to school is irrelevant. We can only judge what is right in front of us. One this is certain, he has a lot of work to do. He has one more shot. If he fails again there is no coming back.

That is absolutely not a valid comparison. We’re not talking about collections that were done later in their careers, we know that there were different factors that contributed to the mediocrity of it. Year by year Galliano was forced to tone it down to the point where it no longer had soul. A fair comparison would be his first collection that he did for Dior or Givenchy. That is what should be judged. First impressions are everything, it says a lot about a designer. For a house like McQueen, the sky should have been the limit. His employment history or where he went to school is irrelevant. We can only judge what is right in front of us. One this is certain, he has a lot of work to do. He has one more shot. If he fails again there is no coming back.
hear hear!

Sean is a lost cause...he thinks "neon yellow is very McQueen"...expecting something interesting from someone, who is unable to understand what McQueen is about, is like expecting Ancora guy to revive Gucci: it is not gonna happen.

He just did one collection. It doesn’t seem promising and we probably are not in front of a fashion genius. But considering the state of fashion during the last… 15 years, I don’t know why people are so dramatic about that ugly show.

If you can't see that Galliano's designs at his most coked-up heydays at Dior still had finesse and sophistication that clearly had the handwriting of a couturier with long-honed craft whilst this collection had absolutely none of it, I think it's a lost cause to debate with you...

If only “ugly” was this person's sole issue LOL… It’s “offensive” because of how reductive, sloppy and cheap everything looks: His debut campaign, to the collection, to Lana’s MET cosplay costume, all amateur. That’s 3 strikes in such a short amount of time… You could argue that the punky/gothy/grungy route he’s taken is the essence of early-McQueen. and I’d argue that thank goodness McQueen the man evolved from that rather dated beginning to a grander, superior, and refined timeless aesthetic: Once you’re famous and rich, you’re not punk anymore. And what’s even worse, even more “offensive" with this person’s punky/gothy/grungy direction is that it all comes off so angsty 13yo raised on corporations like Hot Topic and Monster High doll DIY slop. And DIY slop is fine if you’re actually a 13yo, and not an adult heading one of the most distinct name in high fashion. You know, I may not ever have liked Alessandro’s Gucci, but for his debut, he instantly proved a distinct POV for Gucci, and consistently evolved it to lead the look of the time. That’s respectable, admirable, and even inspirational even if I wouldn’t touch any of his designs with a 10 mile pole. Sabato is a couturier next to Sean...

As for Sarah, her early attempts at conjuring the McQueen ferocity, complexity, and duality in design with all the bondage x delicate florals x Plato’s Atlantis platforms was admittedly, very corny— because that ferocity was never who she is. But like McQueen the man himself before her, she quickly evolved and grew into her own take on the McQueen woman and man— one that became more refined, sophisticated and deadly, gorgeously bespoke. For the majority of the time, her last handful of years at the brand was simply no-nonsense, confident dressmaking and tailoring with razor-sharp laser-precision. Perhaps that’s boring to some because it was so studied, disciplined and controlled in that sense. But once the pieces, especially the suiting/outerwear, are viewed as separates, they were supreme.

This guy… shesh, is all over the place— and all over the worstest, cheapest, sloppiest, tackiest, most childish places.

If you are going to point out that "it's only clothes" when someone refers to clothes as offensive, you have to accept that it is equally valid for someone to point out that "it's only words" when you are (apparently) offended by their expression of being offended.

Nobody is calling for violence. Not everything has to be viewed in juxtaposition with the Holocaust every moment of the day.

Most of the disagreements on here are like sociological case studies in the sense that they often seem to emerge from two people talking past one another because they are in different moods or using different frames of reference for context. You might have signed on to share your very serious (possibly justifiable) outrage, while I'm just here for a larf. Tomorrow the positions might be switched. One POV isn't wrong, or worse than the other.

perhaps i'm in the minority but i actually thought very early mcqueen (banshees, nihilism, highland r*pe, etc.) was excellent lol. i think it's aged pretty well and puts anything sean has ever done to shame
His tailoring just makes his crazy ideas believable. They were provocative and raw but they had a place in everyday clothing for regular people. Who's gonna be wearing mcgirr's car wash rollers and giant turtle necks or those robot dresses. i swear asos' rick owens section has much better offerings than whatever he tried doing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valkirius
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->