"Sean John, Zac Posen To Form Joint Venture"

Atelier

Hoppity Hop
Reaction score
WWD Tuesday April 20, 2004

P. Diddy’s Latest Act: Sean John, Zac Posen To Form Joint Venture

By Eric Wilson

NEW YORK — In an unlikely pairing of interests, Sean John Clothing Inc. and designer Zac Posen are expected to announce today that they are forming a joint venture in which Sean John will become an equal partner in Posen’s three-year-old business.

Details of the deal could not be learned at press time, but sources said executives from both companies were signing an agreement late Monday.

Sean John designer Sean “P. Diddy” Combs has made clear his ambitions to become a major force in the apparel industry ever since he swaggered onto the fashion map six years ago, creating a streetwear brand that quickly transcended the boundaries of urban retailing to become one with designer panache, complete with a succession of over-the-top runway shows. Last fall, Combs signed a deal with Los Angeles billionaire Ron Burkle, managing partner of private equity firm The Yucaipa Cos., for an estimated $100 million investment to fuel Sean John’s retail expansion. Some also saw the deal as potentially reflective of a plan to expand through acquisitions.

In this case, it appears that Combs is teaming up with a designer prodigy whom he has admired since Posen debuted on the scene in 2001. Sean John is expected to make a long-term investment in the growth of the Zac Posen label through the younger designer’s holding company, Outspoke LLC, which is based in TriBeCa here. The companies will remain equal partners, with Posen retaining creative autonomy while using Sean John’s capital and infrastructure to grow his business and expand into other categories.

Given his age, 23, Posen might seem an unlikely acquisition target, but sources said he has been actively pursued by other potential investors. Posen wasn’t willing to strike a deal that would cede control of his signature company, however, and has managed to continue to grow strongly and maintain an impressively staffed studio through family investments. His mother, Susan Posen, and sister, Alexandra Posen, both are seriously involved in the business.

Since its debut, Posen’s collection has grown considerably in its retail presence and is carried at Barneys New York, Bergdorf Goodman, Bloomingdale’s, Bagutta and Jeffrey New York in Manhattan alone, plus in Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue stores around the country and in specialty stores in nine other countries. His trunk shows have been strong nationwide, with recent events at Neiman Marcus in Los Angeles and Dallas garnering more than $100,000 each within a couple of hours.

Raised in New York and the son of artist parents, Posen has developed a following among the city’s society set, first luring high school classmates Stella Schnabel and Paz de la Huerta as his muses and eventually becoming a regular stop on the catwalk circuit for Claire Danes, Natalie Portman and Lauren and Barbara Bush, plus the gregarious Combs, who has mixed the soundtrack to some of Posen’s shows.

The two designers have become friendly, but had previously denied they were in talks about a business deal. Posen’s office did not return calls on Monday, while officials at outside agencies representing the designers both declined to comment.

Although Combs has insinuated he would like to someday build a fashion empire, he has thus far concentrated on his own brand. Sean John already generates some $325 million in retail sales through its various product categories and is on target for rapid growth in the coming years with the rollout of freestanding stores.

In addition to its plans to open a Fifth Avenue store across from the New York Public Library this summer, Sean John last month signed leases for 3,500-square-foot stores at Beverly Center in Los Angeles and the Garden State Plaza in Paramus, N.J., and other deals are pending for locations in Las Vegas, Houston, Hawaii and San Francisco.

Its strategy is to open similarly sized stores in high-profile, A-list shopping centers and downtown shopping districts. Ultimately, there could be 200 to 300 Sean John stores, company executives have said.

The brand’s potential in the women’s wear market remains largely untapped with the exception of a few samples created for the runway, with Combs repeatedly promising he’ll be debuting a full sister collection to his men’s wear soon. He last projected that an exclusive launch of limited-edition women’s wear would take place this summer.

“I’m trying to figure out the right retail strategy,” Combs said in an interview last year. “I don’t want to just roll it out. There are some things about the women’s business I’m still trying to figure out. I have the design and the infrastructure, but I’m still compiling the exact campaigns, marketing and sales plan.”

Sean John, which started as a small line of T-shirts and jeans, is one of several holdings under the hip-hop star’s extensive media and music empire. The collection is now sold in 2,400 doors, including Federated Department Stores and May Department Stores, and is the second best-selling men’s brand at many Bloomingdale’s doors, just behind the Polo brand.

We all knew growth was on ZP's mind. Now it's unfolding before our very eyes. If this matters ten years from now, I won't be surprised.

This is so stupid. I cannot see Diddy designing a dress, and its not often that zac comes out with really nice ones either.

:blink: :lol: that's so VERY funny i had to laugh out loud, they are both quite talentles and full of hype :lol:

thanks for the topic Atelier :flower:

Blegh! :yuk: As was said previously, neither of them is very good. It'll be interesting to see what they come up with now that they're working together...
:lol:

ewwwwwwwwww. now zac's label will be the brain child of two talentless "designers".

oh, jesus... new mizrahi/jacobs is in the making...

sean jean is the number two seller in bloomingdale's behind polo ralph lauren?...he's beating
tommy?! i'm really surprised...and i can't believe posen has managed to get into all those stores in NYC alone...usually young designers are forced by the stores to do exclusives, which means that for at least 1-2 years they can only sell in one store, making it very difficult for them to grow their business...not signing an exclusive was a very smart business move...

they may not have design talent, but these guys know how to make $$$ and i suggest that that is all they both really care about...$$$$ and celebrity...

zac needs the money and puffy needs the design crediblity...it makes sense on paper...now we'll see what happens... :innocent:

ugh... :wacko:

So, I'm in Bagutta:

Me: Ehh, so I see you carry Posen. I think he's over rated, but I'm sure he sells.
Salesman: Neh, not really...

Originally posted by faust@Apr 20th, 2004 - 11:06 am
So, I'm in Bagutta:

Me: Ehh, so I see you carry Posen. I think he's over rated, but I'm sure he sells.

you know what though....marni doesn't sell either...and sean jean does...go figure... :innocent:

this is a very smart move for both of them...

and like it or not, this guarantees that neither sean john nor zac posen will fizzle out anytime soon. i guess this really answers the question as to why p. diddy was seen at zac posen's show and also why zac was previously seen lunching with tom ford...zac was shopping around for backers. :innocent:

Originally posted by softgrey+Apr 20th, 2004 - 11:10 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(softgrey @ Apr 20th, 2004 - 11:10 am)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-faust@Apr 20th, 2004 - 11:06 am
So, I'm in Bagutta:

you know what though....marni doesn't sell either...and sean jean does...go figure... :innocent: [/b][/quote]
Marni doesn't sell?! Hmm, i think it's time to check out their boutique during the sale season :lol:

Originally posted by faust+Apr 20th, 2004 - 11:22 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(faust @ Apr 20th, 2004 - 11:22 am)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by softgrey@Apr 20th, 2004 - 11:10 am
<!--QuoteBegin-faust
@Apr 20th, 2004 - 11:06 am
So, I'm in Bagutta:

Me: Ehh, so I see you carry Posen.  I think he's over rated, but I'm sure he sells.
Salesman:  Neh, not really...

you know what though....marni doesn't sell either...and sean jean does...go figure... :innocent:
Marni doesn't sell?! Hmm, i think it's time to check out their boutique during the sale season :lol: [/b][/quote]
that's what i thought :lol: ...but there is a wierd fit problem...actually, maybe that's why it's not selling so well... :unsure: and the prices are scary high...like marc jacobs high... :wacko:
check out the marni/dries thread... :innocent:

Originally posted by softgrey@Apr 20th, 2004 - 10:54 am

they may not have design talent, but these guys know how to make $$$ and i suggest that that is all they both really care about...$$$$ and celebrity...

zac needs the money and puffy needs the design crediblity...it makes sense on paper...now we'll see what happens... :innoc

Agree 100%

That is really pathetic. I never liked Zac Posen anyway, but at least he wasnt a total sell out. What really irritates me is that WWD is buying into the falicy that Combs is an important element of the "apparel industry." I don't care how many over-szied, tacky, logo ridden tee shirts he sells, he will NEVER be an important force in fashion. ICK ICK ICK.

Originally posted by mikeijames@Apr 20th, 2004 - 11:12 am
this is a very smart move for both of them...

and like it or not, this guarantees that neither sean john nor zac posen will fizzle out anytime soon. i guess this really answers the question as to why p. diddy was seen at zac posen's show and also why zac was previously seen lunching with tom ford...zac was shopping around for backers. :innocent:
how does this garuntee them both staying power? The truth is that Posen is going to loose his core customer by doing this, which is one of the most imporant things in fashion. I think this is the begining of the downward heading spiral of two overly-hyped wannabes. They deserve each other.

as far as sean john...look at brands like phat farm...with the money to reach new markets, that company has stayed around despite the loss of their "street-cred"...sean john appeals to a similar customer who will be unaffected by (if not completely ignorant of) these changing-of-hands. the zac posen customer is not fully developed and you can bet that american vogue (among others) will not quit its relentless editorializing of that brand until it's the next calvin klein or donna karan.

Originally posted by MJCouture@Apr 20th, 2004 - 12:21 pm
That is really pathetic. I never liked Zac Posen anyway, but at least he wasnt a total sell out. What really irritates me is that WWD is buying into the falicy that Combs is an important element of the "apparel industry." I don't care how many over-szied, tacky, logo ridden tee shirts he sells, he will NEVER be an important force in fashion. ICK ICK ICK.
anyone who outsells most other labels in that market is a force to contend with...and puffy seems to be accomplishing that...talent or no...he's a player now...unfortunately for those with some actual talent... :blush:

i agree with mikeijames

Oh dear God in fashion heaven, why? I can't stand either of these designers at all. I never thought they could annoy me more but, now their joining up!!!! Guess what, they just annoyed me more then I ever could imagine. This is clearly a case of two designers (I use the term loosely for Puffy) whose celebrity and social circle clearly outshines the clothes. Neither of these people would be anywhere in fashion if it wasn't for there connections. I mean, yeah Posen has talent but the execution hardly ever looks good. And P. Diddy, don't even get me started.

zac posen is a personality , for sure, and has a cute baby face. hes living the american dream and always smiling...
he books the party night spot for his shows.. i went to the ss05 and there was so much energy in the room, but also i smoked before so maybe it was just the weed. anyways, he is always out you cannot escape him. i've seen him all over at the most random places- airports in midwest, restaurants, museum whatever ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->