Searching for My Perfect Fashion Career - HELP!!

I watch the Rachel Zoe Project but it sounds like the job that you want to pursue is a fashion stylist/image consultant.
There wouldn't be a specific educational requirements to become a stylist except a keen eye for fashion and a sharp sense of style.
A former art teacher of mine established an image consultant business with her sister. I don't know what qualifications her sister has, but they started by publicising it on Facebook, and they made a website. On their website they put things like looks/outfits they created, a 'mission statement', etc. I'm not exactly sure how their business works, nor if they are extremely successful or if their business is expanding.

There's a thread on the Careers forum on becoming a fashion stylist: http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f90/all-about-becoming-fashion-wardrobe-stylist-25956.html :flower:

Good luck!

Taylor went to the same school I did (FIDM) and majored in Fashion Design, although they usually recommend you major in Visual Communications if you want to be any sort of a stylist. However, in the industry I find most people majored in one of the 3 "general" majors (design, product dev or merchandise marketing) and then went and did whatever they wanted to in the industry. Because those majors will give you a lot more flexibility than VC.

Also a good way to work your way up is to start by interning for a stylist or working as an assistant to a personal shopper or something.

Taylor is a fashion stylist's assistant ... plain and simple.

An assistant is hired to do whatever the stylist needs. With time, she has been given more responsiblitiy and now is allowed to act for Rachel in some circumstances. That comes with earning the trust of the stylist ... but at first it's just pretty much slave labor .... taking care of whatever grunt work the stylist needs to have done. 80% of the work in styling is grunt work .... and any sucessful stylist want's to hand that off as soon as they can afford an assistant.

Some assistants have formal fashion education of some sort and are just out of fashion school ... and some assistants don't even have any fashion background at all. It depends entirely on what the stylist wants an assistant to do and whether or not they want someone who also wants to become a stylist themselves (and will become a competitor). Some stylists don't want to hire future competitors ... they prefer to hire someone without the stying goals .... someone who just wants to work hard.

We have a huge thread about Fashion Styling and how to get into it ... it's a long and convoluted process ... but assisting a stylist is the most common way to learn. Formal education is not necessary to become a fashin stylist ... Rachel Zoe has no formal "styling" training at all ... she had connections, a good eye and grew up being interested and haveing the money to play with fashion..

What's the flexibility in the fashion industry? Like can one be a designer and an editor at the same time? I really love fashion and creative things, I like to design and that but I'm also interested in business.. something like fashion marketing.. so I'm not quite sure what would be the best career path for me... And I have to admit the $$$ is kinda important for me (sorry I don't want to sound like a shallow prick :( ) And I guess I don't want to do a normal 9 -5 office job...there should be some room for creativity and travelling. So what would be the best degree that would allow you to enter dirrerent jobs in the industry? I'm thinking some business education perhaps...But I'm kinda confused so if someone who knows the industry could reply I would really appreciate it ^_^

Oh and hello everyone on the forum cause I'm new here :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
^ You probably can't be a professional editorial and designer at the same time, both are full time jobs that surpass the regular 9-5 hours and are jobs and include a lot of hard work. :flower: And in fashion there is not much money to be had unless you are full time, and very successful, it takes time to get to where you can make a very good amount of money.

you could be an editor full time and design on the side (either for yourself or freelance for somebody else)

yeah.. thanks for ur answers =) I have though about being a freelance stylist and getting a business education..but we'll see about that :D I'm 17 so this isn't so important to know now.. but still I have some thinking to do cause I don't know what I'm gonna want to do =)

Hi guys, I was wondering if someone could give me some advice or something I don't even know. sorry it's long!

I'm not exactly sure what I want to do in fashion, but I definitley want to do something. I'm just completely lost on how to get started. I'm interested in styling. I'm not in school right now because I feel like I'd be wasting time/money because where I live there's just one community college that doesn't even offer any classes in fashion (it's a very small town where nobody cares about fashion).

I'm going to be 19 next month and I hate that I've done nothing to move forward in what I want to do. Right now I'm working seasonal at macy's to save money to move. I've read before that for styling you don't need any specific education and experience is more important, but You have to have previous experience for everything, and I don't have any.

so I guess my question is how can I get experience since I pretty much have none right now?
is it possible to get an internship or stylist assistant job if you're not in school?
what classes, if any, would be relevant to styling?

I'm just totally lost :( any comments/advice/help is very much appreciated. I know it was long so thank you if you read it.:flower:

See my post above^^^
We have a huge thread about Fashion Styling and how to get into it ... it's a long and convoluted process ... but assisting a stylist is the most common way to learn. Formal education is not necessary to become a fashion stylist ... Rachel Zoe has no formal "styling" training at all ... she had connections, a good eye and grew up being interested and haveing the money to play with fashion..
It's very complex and not something you actually "study" .... but any fashion history or art courses will help you develop a stylist's "eye". You also have to learn how to run your own business (you spend more time doing marketing, adversting, paperwork, invoicing, inventories than you actually spend working on the artistic part of it) ... so marketing and business courses would help build those skills, too.

To assist or intern with a stylist ... you just have to find one who needs help and convice him or her that you are hard working, dedicated to getting the job done and are available almost 24/7. They don't usually have formal internship programs, so school is not necessary. You just have to have the drive and the ability to do hard physical labor.

Read the stylists thread and ask your detailed questions about that profession there. That thread already has everything you need to know about how to become a stylist. This thread is just about identifying what you want to do. If you can list your likes and skills here ... we can suggest other things you might want to check out as a professsion, if you are interested in other options.

The more I think of it, the more I'm thinking about quiting Law school to get into fashion. I would like to do something that includes both fashion and business, the thing is... I've no idea of what precise job I could do :blush: Any idea? I also would like to know what classes should I take and which schools I could attend (wether it's in Paris or in NYC)?

I hope it's the right thread to ask for that kind of thing :blush: :ninja:

^I thought about that all through law school, and I've now finally finished and in the process of studying for the bar exam...but my heart still belongs to fashion! I think if you really wanted to quit law school to get into the fashion industry, you should take some time first to REALLY figure out what you want to do - it just wouldn't make sense to have invested so much time and money into law school, quit, and then float around aimlessly getting "experience" or taking classes on things you may not even be interested in ultimately doing. It would only be worth it if you KNEW where you wanted to go/be, and just needed to go pursue it.

Personally, my general plan is to finish this whole law process this year and get a job to support myself while I really explore and figure out what I could contribute and do in fashion that would make me happy. I know that's not much of a plan, and I'm sorry if it doesn't help you at all, but it's just something that's been sitting heavily on my heart recently, so seeing your comment gave me the urge to respond! It might be naive, but I feel that I have time, and I need that time to truly figure out what I want to do in life.

Whether you do the same or not, hopefully you will devise a plan of action that makes you happy and fulfilled!

^I totally get your point and agree with you. I'm not going to quit it if I don't have a precise idea of what I could do instead of that. It's just that, I don't know if I will be patient enough to keep on studying for something I don't really like anymore. I don't know if I can spend the next 5 years of my life doing something I don't have a passion for.
I know you can be a lawyer and work for a brand but I've heard the job offers are quite limited and I don't feel like being unemployed after all these years spent doing something I barely liked :ninja:

Thanks for your comment, and good luck with the rest of your studies :flower:

Starting Over, Need Advice: Is a Career in Fashion Possible?

This is my first post, and I'll try to keep it brief. Any input from forumites would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in my mid-40s, and a million years ago (in the 80s), I studied, on scholarship, at Parson's (BA program). There were many things I loved about clothing design (and I think I was quite good at it), but for several reasons I left to pursue other interests. Many, many years later, I completed a PhD in the humanities, have been teaching at the university level for several years, and am currently publishing a book. But the job market in academia is going down the tubes, and - perhaps most importantly - I've never, ever been happy there.

While I understand that the fashion business is far from paradise, there has been a part of me that has always regretted leaving the design world before I even started a career, and another part of me that believes I have talent. And at this juncture, as I'm looking for a new job in academia (because my contract has not been renewed - hiring freeze, of course), I am wondering if it's possible to rewind a couple of decades and start back where I left off. In short, I have some very practical questions:

1. Seeing as I already have a B.A, M.A., M.Phil and PhD, would it be necessary to do any sort of degree, or just to take classes to learn what I needed to learn? Would a lack of a terminal degree put me at a huge disadvantage on the job market?

2. Can one do these courses at a school outside of NYC, or does one need to be at Parson's or FIT (or in L.A.) to be competitive? I ask because finances will definitely be a consideration.

3. Further to the above - should one count on living in either NYC or LA, or are there careers (in the US) outside of these areas? (I'd be thrilled to work in Europe, and will probably be getting dual citizenship in the next year or so, so that's also a possibility.)

4. What is the job market looking like? Do most graduates find work, and can they hope - starting at the bottom, but working their way up after a few years - to make a livable salary?

5. Probably the most important question: can someone in their mid- to late forties even hope to be considered for any type of job, or is there simply no room for people my age, just starting out? Yes, age discrimination is illegal, but we all know it happens - and in an industry in which beauty and being on the cutting edge figure so highly, I worry that there is a very real chance that if one isn't young, and is just starting out, the chances of even getting an interview might be very, very slim;

So much for my promise to keep it brief. But again, any information is greatly appreciated. And thanks in advance.

(And happy new year to all.)

Welcome to the Fashion Spot, dirimini!

The first thing that you need to tell us is ... what do you want to do in fashion? Can we assume that you talking about becoming a designer? Do you wish to start your own line ... or merely work for a designer or a clothing manufacturer?

Or would you consider other fashion careers such as a fashion editor at a magazine, a pattern maker, a publicist, a buyer, a marketing expert, a photographer, a stylist .... or any one of hundreds of careers that one might have in "fashion"?

I ask, because each of those things requires a different career path, different skills and probably a greater or lesser resistance to "age". Many of those jobs do not require any college at all, for some a trade school training would be good, and for some a degree in business, marketing, jounralism, art, art history or any othe number of related feilds is what you would need. You didn't say whare your expetise lies, but perhaps some of that might translate well into something else in fashion, if persuing a design career is not in the cards.

Degees don't generally mean much in fashion a lot of the time ... but who you know, who can help you get connected, does count almost more than anything. So one of the major advantages of attending fashion school as a full time student (for an aspiring designer) would be internships which provides very valuable contacts and experience to place on your resume. Of course ... many design/manufacturing companies prefer fashion grads for certain jobs .... because there are thousands of them to choose from, why not? And of course, they'd want a fully trained grad if the job requires technical expertise ... like pattern making.

I do beleive that many many people in the fashion industry believe that creativity only comes from the young ... and that anyone over about 25 may not have the drive, the ambition, the stamina that it would take to compete ... nor have the vision to understand the youth market. I'm not saying it's true ... I'm saying it's what a lot of people in power believe. So ... it would be twice the challenge for someone no longer in their 20's when they graduate.

I don't know what the job market is now really, because I'm not a recent fashion school grad .... I'm not a grad of anything, actually. But what I do know is that it is always extremely competitive and most people fail to make it in fashion. And with the ongoing recession and companies cutting back everywhere .... well, you get the idea. So ... a fashion career (no matter what you want to do in fashion) is not for the feint of heart ... and it never has been. But .... since a degree takes time, and the recession is just now starting to ease .... maybe your timing would be good ... you might be ready when they need to start hiring again.

Now ... I'll share with you ... I'm beyond my 40's ... I started styling (I'm a stylist) at an advanced age. But .... like so many of us, it was because of someone I knew, and the fact that I had the "eye" for it and the business background to establish my own business ... a perfect combination for a freelance stylist. Never took a fashion class ... ever. Did take business classes ... for my previous career .... and majored in art in hight school ... so that all helped me. So ... it is possible ... with the right skills, the right connections and some serious drive.

After you respond ... I will refer you to a bunch of threads about things that might interest you ... from how to get into whater career you want, how to pick the right fashion career, what education you need for certain careers, various fashion schools, etc.

Thanks very much for that very informative response, Bette. You've actually largely confirmed what I thought: that a "degree" doesn't really matter, that contacts absolutely matter, that the industry is fiercely competitive, and that - no surprise - I would probably have a sizeable number of doors closed to me because of age. But...it's still possible.

In terms of my specific interests (maybe "fantasy" is a better word) - well, probably like a lot of people, in the best of all possible worlds, I'd have my own line. But that doesn't seem entirely realistic - so I suppose the goal would be to work for a designer. Of the other careers you note, I would imagine that publishing would be the one for which I'm most suited, in terms of my training, and marketing might also be interesting - but both of those probably need additional credentials (even a completed degree), and frankly, publishing pays horribly and, by all accounts, seems to be an industry in very troubling shape. At the end of the day, designing would be the ultimate goal, if wishes came true.

My expertise is well outside the realm of "fashion" - or, actually, maybe not, depending upon how creatively people think. I'm actually in the field of cultural anthropology, with a focus on popular culture outside the US. Having done fieldwork and interviews in numerous locales, and having studied and theorized popular culture, I'm certain I have many skills that would probably be necessary in many segments of the industry - but the trick would be getting the employer to see that. But I guess that's what cover letters are for :smile:

Anyway, I'd certainly love to take a look at any threads you suggest. And thanks again for the helpful and thoughtful response.

Welcome to the Fashion Spot, dirimini!

The first thing that you need to tell us is ... what do you want to do in fashion? Can we assume that you talking about becoming a designer? Do you wish to start your own line ... or merely work for a designer or a clothing manufacturer?

Or would you consider other fashion careers such as a fashion editor at a magazine, a pattern maker, a publicist, a buyer, a marketing expert, a photographer, a stylist .... or any one of hundreds of careers that one might have in "fashion"?

I ask, because each of those things requires a different career path, different skills and probably a greater or lesser resistance to "age". Many of those jobs do not require any college at all, for some a trade school training would be good, and for some a degree in business, marketing, jounralism, art, art history or any othe number of related feilds is what you would need. You didn't say whare your expetise lies, but perhaps some of that might translate well into something else in fashion, if persuing a design career is not in the cards.

Degees don't generally mean much in fashion a lot of the time ... but who you know, who can help you get connected, does count almost more than anything. So one of the major advantages of attending fashion school as a full time student (for an aspiring designer) would be internships which provides very valuable contacts and experience to place on your resume. Of course ... many design/manufacturing companies prefer fashion grads for certain jobs .... because there are thousands of them to choose from, why not? And of course, they'd want a fully trained grad if the job requires technical expertise ... like pattern making.

I do beleive that many many people in the fashion industry believe that creativity only comes from the young ... and that anyone over about 25 may not have the drive, the ambition, the stamina that it would take to compete ... nor have the vision to understand the youth market. I'm not saying it's true ... I'm saying it's what a lot of people in power believe. So ... it would be twice the challenge for someone no longer in their 20's when they graduate.

I don't know what the job market is now really, because I'm not a recent fashion school grad .... I'm not a grad of anything, actually. But what I do know is that it is always extremely competitive and most people fail to make it in fashion. And with the ongoing recession and companies cutting back everywhere .... well, you get the idea. So ... a fashion career (no matter what you want to do in fashion) is not for the feint of heart ... and it never has been. But .... since a degree takes time, and the recession is just now starting to ease .... maybe your timing would be good ... you might be ready when they need to start hiring again.

Now ... I'll share with you ... I'm beyond my 40's ... I started styling (I'm a stylist) at an advanced age. But .... like so many of us, it was because of someone I knew, and the fact that I had the "eye" for it and the business background to establish my own business ... a perfect combination for a freelance stylist. Never took a fashion class ... ever. Did take business classes ... for my previous career .... and majored in art in hight school ... so that all helped me. So ... it is possible ... with the right skills, the right connections and some serious drive.

After you respond ... I will refer you to a bunch of threads about things that might interest you ... from how to get into whater career you want, how to pick the right fashion career, what education you need for certain careers, various fashion schools, etc.

Here are some links to things you might find helpful. There are a lot more ... just use the Search This Forum tool on the upper right of the Careers, Education forum and use keywords like career, careers, designer and so on. Mark it to search for thread titles only ... or you will get too much.

I've grouped them according to subject:

General ... to get an idea of what might be out there;
Fashion Industry Careers
Education for a Career in Fashion?

Fashion Designers;
Give me some advice for becoming a designer?
Education to Become a Designer: Is a Degree Necessary? Can I Do Individualized Study
All About Freelance Fashion Designers

Publishing;
What Education is Needed to get into Magazines / Publishing?
Careers / Jobs / Positions in Magazine Publishing

Marketing (and you might be surprised to find out it's not what you think it is ... it's all about statistics and stocking stores.)
Fashion Marketing

And here are a couple of things that I think you probably have not thought about ... but your skills and education could be used in both;
All about PR = Public Relations (Writing ... it's all about writing and working with contacts to get the word out about your clients' lines. > it's probably what you thought marketing was. :wink: )
A Career in Fashion Forecasting (Research ... including cyclical, historical information.)

I am merging your thread into the ongoing thread about asking for advice about what career to embark upon ... it fits well.

This is my first post, and I'll try to keep it brief. Any input from forumites would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in my mid-40s, and a million years ago (in the 80s), I studied, on scholarship, at Parson's (BA program). There were many things I loved about clothing design (and I think I was quite good at it), but for several reasons I left to pursue other interests. Many, many years later, I completed a PhD in the humanities, have been teaching at the university level for several years, and am currently publishing a book. But the job market in academia is going down the tubes, and - perhaps most importantly - I've never, ever been happy there.

While I understand that the fashion business is far from paradise, there has been a part of me that has always regretted leaving the design world before I even started a career, and another part of me that believes I have talent. And at this juncture, as I'm looking for a new job in academia (because my contract has not been renewed - hiring freeze, of course), I am wondering if it's possible to rewind a couple of decades and start back where I left off. In short, I have some very practical questions:

1. Seeing as I already have a B.A, M.A., M.Phil and PhD, would it be necessary to do any sort of degree, or just to take classes to learn what I needed to learn? Would a lack of a terminal degree put me at a huge disadvantage on the job market?

2. Can one do these courses at a school outside of NYC, or does one need to be at Parson's or FIT (or in L.A.) to be competitive? I ask because finances will definitely be a consideration.

3. Further to the above - should one count on living in either NYC or LA, or are there careers (in the US) outside of these areas? (I'd be thrilled to work in Europe, and will probably be getting dual citizenship in the next year or so, so that's also a possibility.)

4. What is the job market looking like? Do most graduates find work, and can they hope - starting at the bottom, but working their way up after a few years - to make a livable salary?

5. Probably the most important question: can someone in their mid- to late forties even hope to be considered for any type of job, or is there simply no room for people my age, just starting out? Yes, age discrimination is illegal, but we all know it happens - and in an industry in which beauty and being on the cutting edge figure so highly, I worry that there is a very real chance that if one isn't young, and is just starting out, the chances of even getting an interview might be very, very slim;

So much for my promise to keep it brief. But again, any information is greatly appreciated. And thanks in advance.

(And happy new year to all.)

I think these questions are well thought out :smile:

I don't work in fashion or anything, but when I took a class at a design school there were a couple of men in my class who were in their 40s. They came from finance backgrounds and decided to change course. I think one of them designs his own line now. So, it's not too late. But I do think networking is always a good idea. I hope this helps.

I think these questions are well thought out :smile:

Well hey, they don't give out a PhD to just anyone :wink:

And thanks very much for that real-life information. Sometimes just knowing that others have done what you envision - even if there are few of them - makes the "dream" seem possible.

Does anyone know what one would need to do to become a textile designer? I think that's one of the only jobs I'd be good at in fashion...And it sounds super fun :D Additionally, do colleges really focus on what high school courses you took? Are fashion schools hard to get into? Do they really have emphasis on high H.S. grades? I'm in my junior year of high school and I'm trying to figure out what I want to do...and how to do it...D:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhill
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->