Education for a Career in Fashion?

Last edited by a moderator:
LeBonChic- You might want to look into FIT's International Trade and Marketing for the Fashion Industries major. It seems like it might be a good fit for you- it deals with the financial, legal, and intercultural aspects of the fashion industry. :smile:

Thank you, BetteT and YoninahAliza. You both are so kind :smile:

BetteT: yeah, I know I can apply to business department but the chance for creative job is not high right ? I prefer creative department but seemingly it's not going to help me get good paid in 3 first years (I plan to continue to attend business school or adult-learning fashion program after 3 years of a full-time job)

You are correct ... business and econ educational background probably won't land you a job in a creative department. But ... you probably will have a way better chance of just getting any job (in another department) in a fashion business, than all of those who only want to get a creative job. The competition for creative jobs is brutal.

Generally, for creative jobs, they say you need to know someone inside with some power or a friend of the boss. Someone who knows you have the talent and the drive to make it in that department.

Getting any job in a fashion business might give you the opportunity to meet the right people and to impress them. At least you are on the inside. And then, you can study fashion/art ... whatever is needed for your target department ... and keep everyone aware of your goals and what you are doing to prepare yourself. Of course, you will have to do your "business" job very, very well too .... to impress people. Food for thought .......

Don't expect to get paid much on that creative job, once you get into that department or even to do much "creating" .... you'll be starting at the very bottom and will have to work up, over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yes, I should have thought of this long-term strategy. Doing creative jobs is my ultimate goal anyway but that can totally wait. Building up is important in almost every kind of career.

Thank you, BetteT, I'm now clearer about my vision. :flower:

I have a certificate in Office Information Technology, a Diploma in Business Administration (Marketing) and im finishing up a Bachelor of Business Administration in marketing with a minor in management.

I kinda wish i just went straight to Ryerson University and minored in marketing (cheaper & faster) but whats done is done.

I want to go to RU and study a Bachelor of Design in Fashion Communication whcih deals with oral/written communication, photography, styling, drawing, videography, web/graphic design, sewing etc. I need to take a year off to take classes to make a kick *** portfolio though WDYT of this idea? I want to end up working in fashion media doing marketing and would I need to do a certificate in PR?

Talent vs. BA?

Do you think it's possible for someone to work in the fashion industry as a fashion designer even though they don't have a BA in any fashion design or management... etc? Like aren't talent and creativity supposed to be THE requirements for the industry? A lot of people have passion for art and fashion but some reason they don't study fashion or art, what can they do?

Thanks! ^_^

Merged with the existing thread about this topic. Read it ... it's not an uncommon question and you can see what others think about this.

IMO, you can start your own line ... if you want to design but can't meet the educational requirements to work for another designer. But to run your own business sucessfully, you must have business/entreprenurial skills, financial backing and advisors and a way of finding someone to sell your line to, or it probably won't work. So ... some education and lots and lots of experience in the biz is pretty much a necessary thing ... if you want to work as a desinger or for a designer.

Creativity won't get you far. Connections are probably the #1 asset you need to get hired, backed up with knowledge of your craft and experience doing it. That usually begins by studying in the feild that you want to work in. A design firm probably won't hire you to design or even to assist a designer, unless you have the credentials and the experience that comes doing college internships and such. You can't even work as a pattern designer if you don't know what you are doing.

Remember ... you will compete with all of those thousands of talented and experienced graduates from various fashion schools. So ... you will have to have something very very special to be considered ... you must be able to hit the ground running to earn your salary.

Yeah ... you might land a job as a personal assistant or a receptionist for a fashion company without specific training in fashion design ... but that generally won't get help you actually become a designer. You might get in the door, but unless you can demonstrate your design and sewing skills somehow ... it probably won't get you far, either.

School ... and connections. That is what I recommend.

Now, for other things like PR and publishing in the fashion arena ... your education doesn't need to be fashion specific ... and often they hire people they know and like, rather than a brand new fashion school graduate. And they will promote the occassional shining star who may have shown talent (writing and being creative) and self reliance. So connections and creativity might work in these feilds, if you can impress them somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peytontung
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->