Second Hand Stores

I love second hand, but :sick: :sick: :sick: used underwear!!! I need a lot of time. I especially like shopping used in Amsterdam.

I have trouble finding things that fit at second hand shops although I usually don't have this problem. Does anyone else have that??

Also, I have a girlfriend whose future mother in law will go through her drawers and throw away any underwear she deems unacceptable and replace it with second hand undies. NASTY!!!!

Originally posted by MissPurple@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 10:27 pm
I never buy second hand clothes....I just don't like the feeling of buying and wearing clothes that are not "new" :unsure:
But even "new" clothes from the store have been tried on by heaven-only-knows how many people..... :unsure:

Originally posted by chanel_girl@Feb 24th, 2004 - 12:20 pm
They're ok but just don't buy any lingerie,underwear,camisoles,swimsuits,bras or hot pants from them
Sometimes I wish I could wear the vintage bathing suits. I really prefer the older styles... :(

Originally posted by KikiB1+Feb 24th, 2004 - 7:49 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KikiB1 @ Feb 24th, 2004 - 7:49 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-MissPurple@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 10:27 pm
I never buy second hand clothes....I just don't like the feeling of buying and wearing clothes that are not "new" :unsure:
But even "new" clothes from the store have been tried on by heaven-only-knows how many people..... :unsure: [/b][/quote]
Personnally, I don't really like to wear stuff that is "not new". I just don't like that feeling. :unsure: I don't like coming home with some cool sweater and start wondering who owned it before me.... and was that person clean or smelly.....

I am a total freak when it comes to my stuff! :P It's not obsessive, but I just don't like the feeling of owning stuff that I am not sure what it went through with its previous owner (well what I actually mean is hygiene). I am conscious that those stuff don't contain dangereous bacterias or stuff like that, it's just that I feel really really uncomfortable wearing used-before stuff. :wink:

Originally posted by kimkhuu+Feb 24th, 2004 - 9:36 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kimkhuu @ Feb 24th, 2004 - 9:36 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by KikiB1@Feb 24th, 2004 - 7:49 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-MissPurple
@Feb 23rd, 2004 - 10:27 pm
I never buy second hand clothes....I just don't like the feeling of buying and wearing clothes that are not "new"  :unsure:

But even "new" clothes from the store have been tried on by heaven-only-knows how many people..... :unsure:
Personnally, I don't really like to wear stuff that is "not new". I just don't like that feeling. :unsure: I don't like coming home with some cool sweater and start wondering who owned it before me.... and was that person clean or smelly.....

I am a total freak when it comes to my stuff! :P It's not obsessive, but I just don't like the feeling of owning stuff that I am not sure what it went through with its previous owner (well what I actually mean is hygiene). I am conscious that those stuff don't contain dangereous bacterias or stuff like that, it's just that I feel really really uncomfortable wearing used-before stuff. :wink: [/b][/quote]
I actually quite like the idea of thinking about the person who wore my clothing before me. What they looked like, where they wore it, how it ended up where it did. That's actually part of the appeal of vintage pieces for me. :flower:

I like second hand stores but sometimes I need someone to push me to buy Whatr I find... And because I'm small everything is usually too big for me!!! :cry:

I love buying second hand clothes in Paris :P You can find amazing pieces from Chanel, YSL and hot croc bags... :woot:

I love second-hand shops - it's like going into Aladin's cave because you never know what you might find.

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Feb 25th, 2004 - 12:55 am
Sometimes I wish I could wear the vintage bathing suits. I really prefer the older styles... :(
I prefer vintage bikinis as well. Thankfully my mom had the sense to keep every one of hers and continues to find more and more for me each year :woot:

But yes, I love the second-hand shops for other things..

I don't mind second hand stores, although I can never seem to find anything that fits, is in the right style and/or the right colour. Guess I'll have to keep looking. I'm currently on the hunt for a coat or blazer in a funky fabric.

I really really really dont like second hand stores.

The ones here are only Salvation Army and the Impossible Dream..

both of which are dirty and smelly and i cant stand them.

I've never found anything worth buying there and there is always dirty people there that look @ you funny.

The biggest thing i have against them are the things you could find. What would happen if you bought a coat there and stuck your hand in the pocket and there was like a whole pile of dog crap in it. :sick: and dont laugh ive known people its happened to!!

I found some mysterious pills in the pocket of a 1970s leisure-suit jacket I bought once.

I threw them out, though. Refer to the "Death Wish" option in the illegal drugs poll.

ETA--secondhand underwear? This doesn't seriously happen does it? How foul! :shock:

I so envy people in the middle of teh country, in california all the thrift stores have been guted by "vintage" dealers. :angry:

I've been thrift shopping for years and it's not nearly as good as it was before. I blame it on Ebay and the rise of "vintage chic". There is a REALLY great wharehouse size thrift store here that I used to frequent once a week. Funny thing is, I would always run into the owners of all the vintage boutiques. It really irritates me to see them purchase this stuff for dirt cheap and turn around and sell it for what they do. (Even though I have entertained the thought since I have a keen eye)
I love the thrill of the hunt and actually get quite lucky most of the times. Since everything is recycled nowadays, I think it's fun to try and hunt down the look of the season at the thrift stores. For example, I found a great (faux) croc handbag this fall and took a vintage printed scarf and wrapped it around the handle. Viola! Miu Miu on a budget. This season I'm on the hunt for circle skirts. Unfortunately, as a guy I have no use for this stuff, but my friends sure do love it when I score big. I personally can't get enough of used Levi's 501s, and vintage leather jackets for myself. I buy a lot of stuff for fabrics. My latest fun project has been making briefs out of old tees. I did one pair with a Harley Davidson motorcyle on the front and across the butt it says "HERO motorcycles" really big. Of course the shirt was washed several times before its new life.

Originally posted by purechris@Feb 27th, 2004 - 5:09 pm
It really irritates me to see them purchase this stuff for dirt cheap and turn around and sell it for what they do. (Even though I have entertained the thought since I have a keen eye)
I have entertained the thought as well. I always see so many cool things that are too big for me, and I'm tempted to buy them up to sell them one day.

I'd like to sell vintage on EBay. It'd be a way to turn my interest in vintage clothing into some supplementary income without the expense/planning of setting up a brick and mortar store (which could be fun, but I have no business management skills to speak of, and I would want to do the vintage thing on the side and have another career anyway). I agree that many vintage dealers charge way too much for what they sell (which is why I only like to buy from the cheapest thrifts myself, not to mention I'd rather experience the thrill of the hunt myself). The good thing about EBay is that you can set the starting bid at a reasonable price, but since it's an auction you could potentially make a very big profit without actually overcharging (I mean, if someone wants to fight out the other bidders and overpay by a lot, that's their decision).

Originally posted by enrichi@Feb 24th, 2004 - 7:49 pm
Also, I have a girlfriend whose future mother in law will go through her drawers and throw away any underwear she deems unacceptable and replace it with second hand undies. NASTY!!!!
There's lots wrong with this one! Talk about the MIL from hell! :angry:

Originally posted by tealady+Feb 27th, 2004 - 9:33 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tealady @ Feb 27th, 2004 - 9:33 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-enrichi@Feb 24th, 2004 - 7:49 pm
There's lots wrong with this one! Talk about the MIL from hell! :angry: [/b][/quote]
:sick: that's just sick.

i had my first experience with 2nd hand clothing this weekend when i went to INA in soho. Didnt like it at all, i tried on one prada coat that reeked of the original owners cologne. As far as variety, it was just a bunch of old crap, yellow versace pants from the 90's and whatnot. waste of time for me anyways

dl

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sl4vicd0ll
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->