Second Hand Stores

Discussion in 'Trend Spotting' started by oanadobre, Feb 23, 2004.

View Users: View Users
  1. oanadobre

oanadobre New Member

How do you feel about second hand stores? Are they dangerous for your health?

2. tott

tott slightly dizzy

Dangerous? The clothes should be washed and clean.

I love rifling through the racks, you never know what you'll find...

3. Jaim45

Jaim45 New Member

I never end up finding anything I like at these stores but I don't think they are dangerous at all

4. leyla m.

leyla m. New Member

love those stores... but only cuold wear bits and pieces.... feel very awkward bout jumpers and shoes i would never buy second hand :ninja:

5. xclusive

xclusive New Member

no, my mom used to shop there when i was a kid so i'm used to the whole idea. i believe u could find something quiet interesting and one of a kind, AND cheap. so i think u should give it a try especially after that UK aritcle.

6. PrinceOfCats

PrinceOfCats Naturellement pulpeuse

Je adore le second hand store. Wouldn't buy underwear from them though....

7. tott

tott slightly dizzy

I wouldn't buy shoes or sweaters/underwear either unless they happened to be simply vintage and not used...

8. HBoogie

HBoogie Procrastinator.

Love them.

Also wouldn't touch the undies. I've bought shoes secondhand, but only in good condition and I Lysol them before wearing.

I might be going thrifting tomorrow. I can't wait. :woot:

9. LolitaLuxe

LolitaLuxe Vision of Paradise

love it :mrgreen:

i love the "hunt". spending hours in the fashion time machine both good and bad!
    ive found some pretty cool stuff. you need patience but if you have a tailor nearby thats even better---- i love retro / vintage coats and jackets, bags, etc. i get frusterated when i walk into a boutique or dept store and see nothing but trends :yuk: i rather have that unique piece.

10. As You Like It

As You Like It Proponent of Plaid

Luuuuurrrve! :heart:

I adore secondhand shops. Great bargains, unusual gear, and of course, the thrill of the hunt.

Some of my coolest stuff has come from thrift/charity shops, clothing exchanges or consignment shops, or vintage boutiques (well, I got a few sewing patterns from a vintage boutique and one hat). I have an awesome yellow wool pinafore dress from the early 1970s, an really elegant Chinese brocade evening dress, and more of my shirts than I care to admit.

I can't see how secondhand shops would be bad for your health, though if you weren't moderate about it, it could be bad for the space in your dresser and closet and the balance in your bank account. :shock:

11. Jentlemen

Jentlemen New Member

who knows you might be able to find some hidden gems amongst everything :)

just be sure to wash the clothes before you wear them

12. slinky_vagabond

slinky_vagabond New Member

:shock: I certainly hope not, Prince.

Secondhand rules if you have the time; you need two hours min to scan the racks at most Goodwills. You can even buy shoes as long as you put a Dr Scholls pad in them or spray 'em. :flower:

13. Spacemiu

Spacemiu New Member

I buy alot of second hand, some gerat stuff, but alot has gotten bought up by vintage boutiques and its hard to find really "vintage". :heart:

14. oceanharlot

oceanharlot stories everywhere

dangerous? dangerous how? *so confused*

i love secondhand stores. you have to be very selective though.

15. Erin

Erin Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I would love them even more if I lived in a large city where I had a prayer in finding something designer or unique... :blush:

16. Plumour

Plumour New Member

I never buy second hand clothes....I just don't like the feeling of buying and wearing clothes that are not "new" :unsure:

17. enrichi

enrichi New Member

I love them, but (Oh God, I'm telling you all this,) I got crabs fairly recently and the top two culprits are a) Airport Bathroom and B) Trying on Pants. Now I don't want to sour any of you on trying on pants, but a seafood buffet is just not a fun time. Please be careful! It's not just the underwear that can be scary!

18. HBoogie

HBoogie Procrastinator.

Honestly, my best finds have been in small town/suburban thrift stores. Thrifts in the city are picked over and the best stuff goes to more selective vintage shops, where the price is marked up several times over. And obviously there is more competition over the good stuff among shoppers in the city. Sometimes you can find reasonably priced consignment shops in a city (Greene Street Consignment in Philly is one such store...I still haven't come across a consignment shop in NYC that's cheap enough for my liking).

The crabs story is frightening! Come to think of it, I never even look at pants when I go thrifting. Mostly 'cause they're all elastic-waisted monstrosities.

19. labeladdict

labeladdict New Member

Love them!! Take your time and search...you'll always find a treasure!! ;)

20. chanel_girl

chanel_girl Melody Nelson

They're ok but just don't buy any lingerie,underwear,camisoles,swimsuits,bras or hot pants from them