Selling on Ebay - any tips?

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
I know a lot of our members buy and sell stuff on ebay...

i am attempting to set up an account and sell some stuff from former shoots and from my wardrobe closet...

do you guys have any tips for someone just starting out?...
what kind of account to set up?
what kind of features to select?

is it a good idea to set a limit?
how does this work?
how safe and secure is my account?

how much to charge for shipping?..
etcetc...

*i am planning to sell some smaller items first to establish myself as a reputable seller before putting up the really 'designer' pieces...
does this sound like a good plan?...

any advice appreciated...
i am so clueless, since i've never even bought anything on ebay...
basically..how do i get started?...:unsure:
help!!...
:P

you gotta come to the faust house for a free course :P

well....
i'd love to sometime...
but the fausts are very busy people...

jetsetting around the globe and all...:wink:

:lol:

I'am in the same position as you SoftGrey. I have furniture that i would like to sell and I'am clueless about the same things. So any info would be helpful.

I think your idea to sell smaller, less expensive things first is a good idea. You might also buy a few things on your new account before you sell, too, to get your number up.

I use ebay quite a lot and the main thing is to be as honest and accurate in your descriptions as possible for items you're going to sell. That way your buyers cant demand a refund when you have clearly stated as much info in your item description.:flower:
Its a good idea sometimes to have your starting bid low to attract more potential bidders. Also, it varies for every item you sell how much to charge for shipping. If you prefer, you can give your buyers the option to have insurance included in the shipping - so if they dont purchase insurance its not your responsibility if the item is damaged or lost in the post. :wink:

softgrey said:
I know a lot of our members buy and sell stuff on ebay...

i am attempting to set up an account and sell some stuff from former shoots and from my wardrobe closet...

do you guys have any tips for someone just starting out?...
what kind of account to set up?
what kind of features to select?

is it a good idea to set a limit?
how does this work?
how safe and secure is my account?

how much to charge for shipping?..
etcetc...

*i am planning to sell some smaller items first to establish myself as a reputable seller before putting up the really 'designer' pieces...
does this sound like a good plan?...

any advice appreciated...
i am so clueless, since i've never even bought anything on ebay...
basically..how do i get started?...:unsure:
help!!...
:P

Well, first you just need a seller's account to start selling stuff. It's free, all you need is a valid credit card and email address. Listing items is what's gonna cost ya. There's a fee to insert the item and they take a percentage of the final price also. Paypal will also have fees (4% of total payment) when you accept payment from credit cards. If you plan on selling a huge load of items, then you might try opening an online store on there.

It may be a good idea to set a reserve price (limit), which is the minimum amount that you're willing to take for item, if you're using low starting prices and you know that there might not be alot of demand for that item (saves you from the single bid at starting price situation). Bear in mind that less people will be willing to bid on an item with a reserve if it's too high. You might also put a high starting price instead of a reserve price, but the listing fees are also higher. If it's an item you know for sure there's gonna be huge bidding wars on it, then you might wanna start the auction at $0.99 or something (because of lower insertion fees and increased demand due to low price).

7-day listings are optimal for good exposure time without people getting pissed off for a long wait (if it's something in very high demand, then a 3 or 5 day listing will be sufficient). Offering a buy-it-now price is also a good option to have (it's just a price where the bidders can pay to win the item right away), sometimes you can get a higher amount from an eager buyer with cash to burn that uses buy-it-now than through the normal bidding process.

So far as security, it's pretty safe, you just gotta be careful with scam emails that may look like it's from ebay asking you to confirm all your info (including social security number and credit card info), they just steal your info and account. Ebay will never send you an email asking you for such info. Same with Paypal, there are some scam email asking for paypal account info and stuff.

It's always better to be willing to ship worldwide (as then you can get more people bidding on it), although you can always refuse to send to some countries (where fraud is more likely to happen, i.e. Malaysia or something). So far as payment options, Paypal is the best, both for you and the buyer, as it is secure and both parties have proof when someone sends a payment or not. How much to charge for shipping is up to you, usually it's just the actual postage fee plus packaging fees (padded envellopes or boxes).

It's always good to have some feedback (reputation) before selling, as buyers will be wary of bidding on an item from a seller with no feedback. Best way to get started is to simply buy items (small ones, movies, cd's, ect) so you can build it up quicker.

Of course, when listing items, give the maximum amount of info (well, that is relevant at least) and some good pictures. For designer clothing it would be description, measurements, season, condition of item. Also, in the title of the item (what's gonna pop up when someone searches for it), add some other keywords that might be relevant, like similar designers.

Okay, that's alot of text, so I'll let you breathe a little. I hope this was helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
quimby said:
I think your idea to sell smaller, less expensive things first is a good idea. You might also buy a few things on your new account before you sell, too, to get your number up.
what 'number'?...

can anyone tell me what 'power seller' means please?

thx...:flower:

wow...thx drexl...
i have to absorb that ...
i'm sure i will have more questions then...

:flower:

*karma for you!!

softgrey said:
what 'number'?...

can anyone tell me what 'power seller' means please?

thx...:flower:

"number" is the number of feedback you receive. Basically the more positive feedback you get, the more it shows that people can trust you on ebay.

• Concise title. Do not fill the title with superfluous words. A title like "LOUIS VUITTON Epi Luggage" stands out in the crowd better than "louis vuitton epi luggage brown prada gucci chanel". Which brings me to my next point...
  • Do not use irrelevant keywords in your title. It will not help you that much, and your auction will probably be ended by eBay, since this is against their rules. You do not get your money back, and if you want to relist the item appropriately, you will have to start all over again. (Normally when relisting, you just click a few buttons, and it's done.)
  • Detailed but clear description. Say as much as you can in as few words as possible.
  • Very precise measurements
  • Clear and flattering pictures, including pictures of any and all tags
  • Original retail price
  • Attractive and readable format. No need for a bunch of fancy graphic junk; it's just distracting. But make your paragraphs, measurement bullets, pictures, etc. clean and attractive. If it's easy on the eye, people are more likely to stay in your auction longer and really read through everything.
  • Set a warm and friendly tone in your writing. You don't want to make yourself look/sound like a big business selling through eBay, especially if you're selling clothing, since the businesses are usually the ones selling more fake stuff.
  • Do not set a reserve price. Many buyers will not buy from a seller using reserves, as they are quite annoying. Simply start the bid at the minimum price you will sell for. And be reasonable. It is eBay, after all, not a designer boutique. Unless something is in high demand, you will probably not get as much as you'd like.
  • Look at similar items from other sellers and see what people are paying
  • Create a tempting Buy It Now price. For instance, if you start bidding at $75 and have a BIN of $98 (if you're happy with that amount for the item), people will be tempted to pay the extra so they can secure the item immediately and receive it sooner.
  • Use a gallery photo for each item. This means the main picture will show up in the list of items when people search, so they can get a general idea of what it is without actually clicking into your auction.
  • Be clear about acceptable payment methods.
  • Put the shipping price or the shipping calculator in the auction. That seems obvious, but so many people don't do it, which is very annoying.
I'll post more later if I can think of some.

thanks alex...
seems like a lot to figure out...:ninja:

so about how much does it cost to list an item?...

and how do i know what the shipping cost is before i actually ship the item so i can include it in the sale...?

isn't there a standard shipping rate that most people just add on, the way online shopping sites do?...

softgrey said:
thanks alex...
seems like a lot to figure out...:ninja:

so about how much does it cost to list an item?...
Once you list an item or two, you'll realize it's really not difficult at all. All it really takes is some common sense.

Listing cost depends on what options you use and how much you're trying to sell for. I think I usually pay between $.60 and $1.20 or $1.50. They jacked up their costs a few months ago. It used to be like half of that. :angry:

Shipping: While you're going through the pages, you click a drop-down list and select the shipping method (Priority Mail, etc.). Then you fill in how much the package will weigh (I hope you have a small scale). Then you choose to put a shipping calculator in your auction, and people enter their zip codes and figure out the shipping. If you don't do that, you can just make it a flat rate, but I wouldn't recommend that. If someone's super far, you may have to pay more than they give you, and if someone's super close, they're going to be p*ssed that they're paying $10 for shipping that cost $3.85.

i heard it was good to have the auction end on a certain day...
what is the best day to end an auction...?
what are the busiest days on ebay...?
is sunday night good?...

Sunday night is fine. Any weekends are good. It really doesn't make a huge difference (not even a noticeable one for me). If someone really wants something, they're going to make sure they win it, no matter what day of the week or time it ends. To have items end on a specific time, you pay extra to have them start at a specific time (obviously exactly a week before the end time you want). I just list everything on weekend evenings, then they end at various times throughout the evening. And I'm not paying extra.

As an example, I've seen a Helmut Lang handcuff bracelet end for $185 on a Wednesday afternoon, and I've seen one end at $150 on a Saturday afternoon. But I've also seen one end for $195 on a Saturday. So it's really all just luck. Don't worry about it.

thanks again alex...
i guess i have to buy a scale...:rolleyes:

another question about cost....
so after posting fees...
what percentage do you have to give ebay and what percentage do you have to give paypal?...what's your net profit?...

is it better to post clothing flat or on figure...?...

also, it is worthy to note that it is NOT a seller's market during May, June and July.
Not a good time to sell...hold on until August if you can.
Things go for dirt-cheap during this time for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momosdiary
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->