Senior Project: "alvitre" my own line

well, since they are hides, im ordering two of each and they about 6 square feet a piece, some a bit more and some a bit less. unfortunately you cant order leather by the hide....would make life a lot easier if i could :flower:

i should receive my hides today, and then i can post some real pics.

i just picked up a really good book on fashion illustration, design and presentation called: "Drawing and Presentation for the fashion designer: Fashion Illustrator" by Bethan Morris. some of the stuff in regards to the color theories and such are a bit basic, but there's interviews with popular working fashion illustrators, tips on presentations and moodboards and a breakdown of the flats and specifications.

i've been researching copyrights vs patents vs trademarks.....so i guess the name would be trademarked, technically the designs would be copyrighted.

and also, i am putting together a myspace account together as well for pics of the products, information, and exposure: www.myspace.com/alvitre

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure the only thing you can trademark is your name and logo... you can't really copyright any designs unless it shows a functional innovation.

i know that custo barcelona copyrights some of their designs.

so each hide is like one lamb/cow right? thats pretty interesting actually.

yes, each hide is basically the back of a cow or lamb.....they are split along the belly....but im going to have to lay my patterns out very carefully because of the smaller size of the lambskins. they ended up not showing up today, so i should get them tomorrow.

im trying to decide upon rolled handles or not.....

Have you ever done rolled handles? It's really difficult to make them look nice.. and since lambskin is honestly a b*tch to sew... you might be safer doing a turned edge handle over bonded leather.

Luna said:
Have you ever done rolled handles? It's really difficult to make them look nice.. and since lambskin is honestly a b*tch to sew... you might be safer doing a turned edge handle over bonded leather.

yes, i've done rolled handles before. they are a bit tricky, but once you get it down, it's almost like doing large leather piping like on garment work, with the exception of the turn-in at the base. i actually think lambskin is easier to work with than cow-hide, but cowhide is definately more forgiving of mistakes than the lambskin.

do you mean a flat handle with the turn edge?....im thinking, because i have side straps running up the body of the bags that meet at the top through a 'd" ring type hardware, it would look nice with a LV-type (but looser) rolled handle. that is one design aspect i haven't made a firm decision on yet. i'm really going to have to scan my design sketches so i can visually explain what my plans are, rather than wording them. im at school right now, but i'll try to get the design sketches up by tomorrow afternoon. im hoping when i come home tonite, there will be a large package of lambskins i can open up. my prototype is still on hold because the lining is in that particular order, and i cant complete it until i get that.

luna, have you had any experience with LAMB SUEDE? i'm looking at lining materials and think that a leather/suede lining is so nice, and makes for a better quality bag than a fabric. i ordered royal blue lamb suede, which is supposed to be good for lining bags. my one concern is how durable the dye is on this particular color, as i have a fear that such a rich deep saturated hue would lend itself to possible color rubbing or staining. I know generally they use pigskin in the lining, because it is more cost effective, and then light weight calfskin too.

This particular one is a bit of an experiment, because if it doesn't end up working out, my back-up plan is doodling a design or hand-dyeing cotton. I was browsing bulga bags and find their interiors kind of unique and quirky.

i received the leathers in the mail today and they are gorgeous! i'll have to take pictures tomorrow though, as my camera battery needs a good charge and the sun is down so the lighting wont be all that great. im gathering design sketches together as well to scan and post here in a few days.

i'm not keen on suede interiors. i prefer fabric interiors.

how expensive is goatskin? is it easy to use?

i saw one marc jacobs patent-leatherish looking bag that i really liked in saks a few months ago, and it was labeled goatskin. i was surprised.

I really like this thread. I love hearing your thoughts/trials and tribulations jun. Personally, I really like a suede lining. my ramona has a suede lining and it's gorgeous. The only problem is that can get dirty/scuffed easily. But whatever. I'm not planning on selling it so thats not an issue for me. Can't wait to see the pics!

thank you meg! i really appreciate the mods approving this thread. Part of the project is to document the entire process as best as one can, and i think this thread provides one of the very best ways in doing so, as i can get outside feedback from others on here as well. i have to work early today, but i will try my best to get some images up for everyone. :flower:

lucy92 said:
i'm not keen on suede interiors. i prefer fabric interiors.

how expensive is goatskin? is it easy to use?

i saw one marc jacobs patent-leatherish looking bag that i really liked in saks a few months ago, and it was labeled goatskin. i was surprised.

i received the lambsuede and it's definately beautiful!

goatskin is roughly the same price as lambskin, from what i have seen. the hides tend to be about the same size, often smaller than lambskin, and actually a bit stiffer. i would say it is about as easy as lambskin to use.^_^

here are sketches of the designs i am working from. i incorporated my initials "WA" into the design of the front flap of the bag. all designs are copyright Weshoyot Alvitre 2006.

Attachments

• alvitre sketch 1.jpg
    alvitre sketch 1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 3
  • alvitre_sketch2.jpg
    alvitre_sketch2.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 4
  • alvitre_sketch3.jpg
    alvitre_sketch3.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 4
  • alvitre_sketch4.jpg
    alvitre_sketch4.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 4
  • alvitre_sketch5.jpg
    alvitre_sketch5.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 5
  • alvitre_sketch6.jpg
    alvitre_sketch6.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 9
Those sketches look really cool, jun! It already looks like something I'd be interested in buying... :D

I am enjoying this thread very much as well. It is rare to get to see what goes on during the whole design and creation process of a piece of fashion/art.

thank you spiral!

these sketches are very tiny as i work in a moleskin journal that is about 3" x 5". i am working on full color design schematics and full color illustrations that will be much more fleshed out than these.

I like the sketches... and good luck!
I saw your myspace, awesome illustartions!
If you'll get big, come by and say hello to us :wink:

lamsuede is fine for lining... next time you go to order though you might want to consider pigskin... it's both cheaper and tends to be a little easier to sew and more durable.

I realy like your scetches and I aplaud your efforts and goals. Can't wait to see the finished work. Best regards,
Rodrigo

Luna said:
lamsuede is fine for lining... next time you go to order though you might want to consider pigskin... it's both cheaper and tends to be a little easier to sew and more durable.

thanks luna, you're probably right....although i adore the lamskin, i doubt it's all that durable....maybe i'll just put it in the prototype i plan to keepB)

i added your project as a friend on my myspace.
look forward to the updates.

what color is the suede interior going to be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->