Senior Project: "alvitre" my own line

hello everyone,
i apologize for the pause on the project. i was finishing up an illustration job the last few weeks and have had to put this on hold. but, i am back on track and working away. the first bag is almost complete. the second has been cut and just needs to be assembled. i'll take some pics of the work in progress and hope i can get some feedback from you all.

also, a quick question about handles on purses: i was curious what you gals prefer, between rolled handles, flat handles or something more interesting? i have a concept in mind, which is different from the rolled handles i was going to do. i just felt that they didn't suit the design, and so some changes were made. here are some pics of the work in progress and of the leathers. enjoy!

20061105_0068resize.jpg

the handles are giving me the most trouble...because out of the entire design, i hadn't gotten it figured out completely. i dont know if i am going to use the braided handle....i'm messing around with a ruffled leather handle....i'll take a pic.

here's the ruffled handle im messing with. which do you like better, the braided or the ruffled???:blink:

Attachments

• 20061105_0078resize.jpg
    20061105_0078resize.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 3
I definately prefer the braided handle over the ruffled one. The ruffle one is cute but it seems to me it would get very dated quite easily and the braided has a bit more of an edge to it and seems a bit more versatile.

Also, I was a bit unsure of how the shape would look in real life but it looks great. :woot: I love the length of the bag (i would even prefer it a touch longer maybe?) as it sort of gives it a 'luxe' messenger vibe which I love love love. It's looking GREAT jun :woot: :heart:

The bag looks great! It looks really well made. Definitely prefer the braids, i'd like a plain handle even more. I think the bottom of the bag could use some sort of base support, so that you can actually stand it up on the metal studs.

hmmm I prefer the braided handles over the plain personally but I think regarding base support that is what makes it quite messenger-y looking - the way that it falls quite flat. Now I personally enjoy that, but if you were looking to make it more 'handbag-y' i agree that base support would be needed. It just comes down to personal preferences

i just wanted to say wow they are amaizing .. well done super job .. and im really not just saying that they are fab :kiss: and to subscribe to this thread .. i want to follow this

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, this does look really nice...i prefer the braided over the ruffled strap. i also think the straps should be a bit longer...i love messenger bags.

the quality of the leather iteself looks amazing.

thank you everyone for chiming in! i think i am having to agree about the braided handle over the ruffled one....now i just have to figure it out construction-wise.

i didn't want it to be a very structured bag, as i am drawn more to bags that are more organic, if that makes any sense. it does have a stiff bottom ( i used stiffener bonded with the leather along the inside bottom piece) and if i stuff it with tissue, it does stand up on its feet. i just plunked it down on my bed real quick to get some photos so it looks super squishy in the pics.

the thing with the ruffled handle is that construction-wise, it is easier to do....so im going to have to think about this one. ^_^

Honestly, I don't like the look of the ruffled handle. The Braided is a better way to go.
A good handle drop for a bag this size is 8".

Jun3 do you want the undersides of the leather(the sueded part) to show? Is that part of the design?

luna~ thanks so much for your input! i did intend for some of the suede bit to show, both in the raw edges on the handle and on that front flap. but i re-did the braided handles so they are all leather showing with just the suede peaking out along the edges and not with one suede strip braided in....i am really into textures and differences in the textures.

i'll take some pics of the newer handle a bit later, and here's some of the goatskin i am doing the other out of. it has a distressed finish and i cant wait to put it all together.

Attachments

• 20061105_0072resize.jpg
    20061105_0072resize.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 0
  • 20061105_0074resize.jpg
    20061105_0074resize.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20061105_0073resize.jpg
    20061105_0073resize.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 1
here are the new handles. i think they should be a bit shorter, and i'll probably make that change on the goatskin version....

Attachments

• 20061106_0080resize.jpg
    20061106_0080resize.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20061106_0079resize.jpg
    20061106_0079resize.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 2
I too, prefer the braided handles. I like the squishiness (is that a word?) of the bags... they look like they have a very soft hand, which I would like. I'd want the braided handle to be a bit stiffer than the bag itself but still very flexible. But maybe the braiding already provides that structure ... I'd have to actually feel it to know if I liked it or not. But, I would like to see that the braiding was more even ... can't find the right word ... but I'd prefer the tightness of the braids to be very consistent along the whole strap.

bette~ thank you for the critique! you're points were well taken, as i was also trying to figure out how to get the handles more consistant as well.

here's a second version. i was doing the first out of cowhide, as i had some lying around and it's cheaper to do the first out of, so i dont mess up the more exspensive leathers.

this one is done in goat-skin with a cotton lining. i think the handles look better on this one, as far as the consistancies and the length. i shortened the handles by about four inches. i felt they were too long on the early version. i also figured out a way to do the straps with rivets a bit cleaner than before.

any criticisms/critiques/opinions are greatly appreciated!!!

Attachments

• 20061113_0090watermark.JPG
    20061113_0090watermark.JPG
    374.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20061113_0091watermark.JPG
    20061113_0091watermark.JPG
    435.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20061113_0092watermark.JPG
    20061113_0092watermark.JPG
    285.2 KB · Views: 4
oooh they look great in the goatskin! I'm glad that you shortened the handles, it looks better with them shorter. My only criticism would be that I'm not crazy about the lining. I would prob. prefer it if it were a solid color or striped or something. Also, it would be cool if it came with a longer strap (sort of like the coffer or even a b-bag) so that you could wear it messenger style. That leather is beautiful though!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vejjehejrh
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->