Senior Project: "alvitre" my own line

thanks meg! i thought about the additional crossbody strap as well. i think with this one though that it's kinda big for that. i plan on doing a smaller size as well, in chocolate lambskin (without the distressing) and a clutch version as well. perhaps with the smaller one, i'll make an additional strap. i plan on using the lambsuede in deep royal blue as lining on the chocoalte brown bags. i thought this one needed something interesting as a print as the lining.

here's what it looks like on the shoulder. i should have taken the stuffing out, but oh well. you get the idea.

Attachments

• 20061113_0099.JPG
    20061113_0099.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 7
jun, wow, I'm totally impressed!!!!!! :flower:

I like the shape you've made the flap, haven't seen anything like that before, and the leather-colored leather :P (tobacco, I guess :wink:) is simply gorgeous, you did a fantastic job choosing it.

Just wanted to offer a different perspective on the handle. I would prefer a ruched handle that was stitched down. Don't get me wrong, I liked the braid as I was reading thru the thread ... but when you offered another option, I realized that IRL I would never buy a braided handle ... it kinda says "boho" or 70s to me. I would go for a metal or tortoiseshell chain, but I also like your "ruffle" except I wouldn't really want it moving around on me I don't think ... I think I'd want it fixed.

Great job!!!! :heart:

Actually, the stuffing makes the bag look like it really would in it in real life ... That is how you should show it ... with something in it so everyone can see it in action.

I love it ... and the braid issue lookes better on this one but not quite there for me. But the strap looks even better on your shoulder.

So it makes me think that after a while the normal weight of the bag with its contents will help the braid to smooth out. Perhaps you can find a method to pre wear the strap ... and see if that helps.

I also like fashionlsta-ta's ideas ... the metal or tortie, depending on the color of the leather. But the braid is not too boho for me, if it is controlled and neat. The bag is slouchy ... so tha braid works, IMHO.

fashionista~ thank you! i haven't set that ruffled idea totally away, but i think i am going to stick with the braid on this batch. :wink: im trying to do a 3-5 line with a main bag (the latest one i did) and then smaller versions based off of the design aspects. the shape of the flap is supposed to referance a "w" like in my first name....and the "a" shape is sorta within the 'W'...if that makes any sense at all.

betteT~ thanks for the input once again!!! im thinking that with the lambskin ones i may pad the braid out just a little bit to make it more voluminous, so it doesn't flatten out. i agree, i LOVE tortiseshell and i think that would look so cute on the smaller bags, maybe i'll take that into conideration ^_^ (so thanks fashionista!)

i want to make something that has a good equal balance of structure and slouchiness, and it is a fine line doing that so the product doesn't look like a heap of leather with handles....i am learning so much with this project, im really having fun!

i have to come up with a price point for these....does anyone have any suggestions????

As far as price point ... I imagine your material costs might be a bit high since you're buying small quantities? And you may not be too worried about labor at this point ...

I generally buy smaller bags than yours ... but I'm thinking retail, if you could keep your price under $1000, say perhaps $500-895 or so ... what do you think?

I'm happy paying $350-800 or so ... and I don't really care whether the brand is known. I'm interested in getting the look I want, and quality. I generally do carry a brand people would recognize if they heard it, but not from looking at my bag--a close examination w/b necessary. So I like the A/W implied by your flap--very subtle :wink:

thank you so much fashionsita! i was thinking about the same price point, but i thought i would ask first just to see what you all thought. :wink:

thank you so much everyone for your input! i just thought i should really thank you all because your advice and comments are truely INVALUABLE to me! thank you for your time and opinions thus far!!!!:wub:

holy moly...how is the python skin sold? like in sheaths? does it come with some sort of backing on it?

it comes in a long strip of snake, rolled up...just like the snake, except minus the squishy snake part....they actually aren't supposed to sell to folks here in california, but i found a seller on ebay from new york who did :smile:

here's what the python looks like:
20061122_0117.jpg

20061122_0118.jpg

here's a partially completed bag in python and lambskin. i think this one is turning out really nice!:woot:

Attachments

• 20061126_0179water.JPG
    20061126_0179water.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 3
what's it like working with the python skin? is it really delicate and easy to tear when stitching? or am I completely wrong and it's super tough and resilient?

it's actually a lot easier than i thought it would be. i was terrified when i was cutting it, as i expected the scales to start falling off, and the same when i started sewing. i thought it might tear if i didn't put a stabalizer down....i tested a small area, and it sews like dream! if i had to compare it to a fabric i'd say maybe like a extra crunchy satin, without the slipping and sliding...or taffeta. it feels very lightweight and handles nicely with my sewing machine. you have to press down the seams a bit with your hand and flatten the scales back, but after that ot seems to get softer the more you handle it. im definately keeping this one for myself! :evil:

the python skin looks fantastic close up...and i like how organic and "earthy" (to me at least) the bag looks in post #62

I'm sure someone here has a calculation of how to do the pricepoint accurately. Something like cost of matierals + estimate value of labour x markup value. I don't know but something like that. I think 400 - 600 is a good price range. You are working with some nice materials. It's all looking great :woot: But the python scares me :lol:

thanks meg! to tell you the truth, i didn't know if i could handle working with python skin....i was a lil queezy at first, but it really is such a gorgeous thing, so i got over it...i think i'll ask lena about price points. thanks as always, for your help :smile:

okay, i've been away for a week, and im working my butt offf, because this project is due next week. i am getting the final touches put on the python bag and am working on two small clutch and pouchette versions. just bought all the supplies to put together some look books, and i'll be posting and online scanned version of the lookbook as soon as i get them finished. i'm thinking about photographing it a little like the anthropologi catalogue shoots their bags and accessories. the lookbooks are going to be clean and white like washed linens, but im planning on throwing a vintage vibe in their as well. im trying to have a slight vintage quality to it, but dont want to go all the way with the vintage thing, and so i'm trying to get it a bit modern as well. we'll see what i come up with i guess :blush:

if you haven''t yet checked out the myspace page i put together for this project, i hope you will, as i will have the lookbook on their as well. im wrapping up pricepoints and such in the next few days as well as tags and stuff like that. like i said, the tiny lil' details.....

it's be amazing being able to share all of this with you all, and im very appreciative of the mods and fellow TFS-ers. it's not over yet, but i did want to thank you all. it really has been a huge help, any and all comments/feedback/critiques/etc.

wish me luck, and i'll have much more to add to this thread in the next week! yipeee!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Derpies
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->