Sexual Misconduct Allegations in the Fashion Industry

^^
At this point, does it matter to clarify?
It's all about social media and popular justice. The damage is done...

I feel like during the last few months, the MeToo movement has slightly lost it strength and it credibility...

If I remember correctly, nobody said Templer sexually harassed anyone. It was said that he violently removed items of clothing from models, including underwear. And that is quite believable as I've seen it happen all the time backstage with various stylists. Ripped personal underwear included. It is not sexual as that is not the intention of the violent act, it is just the complete disrespect for the human being in front of them, the total and complete dehumanization of the body. It's the whole "models don't feel, don't eat, don't need" bull**** attitude.

And that, besides being believable, was never denied by him.

Indeed the original article doesn't state he has sexually harassed anyone!
Unfortunately - as we only pay attention to headlines, Instagram captions, and tweets - he ended up being associated with the other industry veterans that have actually acted in a conscious offensive and predatorial manner.

Shame on the Boston Globe and shame on the model who accused him out of grudge.
The media is starving for claims like this so I can only imagine how easy it is for someone with the wrong intentions to make them believable.
We cannot let false accusations exist as they jeopardize the entire purpose of the MeToo movement... and can easily destroy lives and long-term careers like Templer’s.
Whoever acted this way should be held accountable for all the distress and damage caused.

Glad he’s receiving a lot of support right now.

Indeed the original article doesn't state he has sexually harassed anyone!
Unfortunately - as we only pay attention to headlines, Instagram captions, and tweets - he ended up being associated with the other industry veterans that have actually acted in a conscious offensive and predatorial manner.

Shame on the Boston Globe and shame on the model who accused him out of grudge.
The media is starving for claims like this so I can only imagine how easy it is for someone with the wrong intentions to make them believable.
We cannot let false accusations exist as they jeopardize the entire purpose of the MeToo movement... and can easily destroy lives and long-term careers like Templer’s.
Whoever acted this way should be held accountable for all the distress and damage caused.

Glad he’s receiving a lot of support right now.

Well, I think he's actually been getting support since day 1. Indeed, the raccoon at Dior was one of the first to run to his defense.

There's a reason why the Boston Globe won't retract or amend any of the copy in the original article. It's probably because from their side, the claims and they way they've structured the copy were found to be sound. An article focusing on 'sexual exploitation and abuse.' Now people may interpret the article incorrectly if they just skim through the copy, but I don't think that should be on The Globe. And probably Templer and his solicitors argued that by associating him with Demarchelier and Kadel, it would be easy for readers to bracket all the names together and assumed his transgressions were the same as the other two. That's a somewhat valid argument. And it's probably why we are seeing this clarification. Note that the letter from The Globe was implicitly addressed to Templer and his lawyer. How it got leaked to WWD (and interestingly enough, only WWD), I don't know. But I do know that it would not have been The Globe. Because for starters with sensitive cases like these, newspapers and websites are forced to was publish disclaimers on their portals, or as a subtext on the original article. And that didn't happen.

If you want to vent at fake media, then go after the bottom feeding likes of Anne of Carversville with her baity headlines such as 'Boston Glove Denies Ever Accusing Karl Templer of Sexual Coercion of Models.' There's power in headlines. For some unsuspecting sucker who wouldn't bother to read, it would seem like the Globe put out malicious lies, were busted, and subsequently forced to apologise.

Mario Testino taps Asian millennials for private photo work, as fashion shuns him over sex harassment claims

• World’s most high-profile fashion photographer has been approaching wealthy Southeast Asians for work, after Vogue and others stopped working with him
  • Testino was recently in Myanmar, where he met Ivan Pun, Hong Kong lifestyle entrepreneur. ‘He is just a friend,’ Pun says

PUBLISHED : Monday, 17 December, 2018, 11:00am
UPDATED : Monday, 17 December, 2018, 11:18am

Vincenzo La Torre
[email protected]
16 Dec 2018

Embattled lensman Mario Testino, long considered the world’s most high-profile fashion photographer, has recently resurfaced in Asia.

Earlier this year, a damning report in The New York Times revealed accusations of sexual harassment from 13 male models. While Testino denied the allegations, he has since been shunned by the global fashion community.

Sex claims against famed photographer who shot royal portraits

Shortly after the allegations were made public, Condé Nast, the publisher of magazines such as Vogue and Vanity Fair, announced that they would stop working with him. Fashion labels Michael Kors, Burberry and Stuart Weitzman also cut ties with the photographer, who in his 30-year-long career has shot everyone from the late Princess Diana to Madonna and Oprah Winfrey.

While Testino has kept a low profile since the story came out, he has recently approached wealthy millennials in Southeast Asia for private photo sessions, the Post has learned.

The Post could not independently confirm the information, but an Instagram search showed that Testino travelled to Yangon, Myanmar, at the end of November, where he and his team met Ivan Pun Chi-ching, founder of Pun + Projects, a lifestyle company that operates restaurants and galleries in Yangon and Hong Kong.

Pun confirmed that Testino is working on “personal projects around the world” at the moment. “I am not working on a project with Mario,” he added. “He is just a friend who was passing through town so I showed him and his team some old spaces.”

Fashion photographers Bruce Weber, Patrick Demarchelier and Terry Richardson have also been accused of inappropriate behaviour.

The accusations have prompted a reckoning in the fashion community and shed light on issues of abuse similar to those that have come to the surface with the #MeToo movement in Hollywood.

South China Morning Post

I don’t know where I wrote it but it was obvious that someone would call him at one point.
The fact that he has messed with boys is not an issue in some parts of the world. Russia, South America, some parts of Asia and the Middle East are not closed markets for him.

Five Models Accuse Bruce Weber of Sexual Misconduct in New Lawsuit

Five Models Accuse Bruce Weber of Sexual Misconduct in New Lawsuit
5-6 minutes

Five male models have come forward to claim that the photographer Bruce Weber exploited or sexually assaulted them, according to a lawsuit filed Friday in federal court in New York.

The five plaintiffs, who are referred to by initials in the lawsuit, were all aspiring models at the time of their interactions with Mr. Weber. The complaint calls Mr. Weber a “serial sexual predator” and says he conducted “breathing exercises” at both photo shoots and at his private home studio, in which he touched the men and insinuated that he could help their careers if they complied. It describes the exchanges as a form of fraud.

Lawyers for the plaintiffs also describe Mr. Weber’s actions as sex trafficking, after a judge in a lawsuit alleging sexual assault by Harvey Weinstein ruled that the Trafficking Victims Protection Act could apply to “casting couch” scenarios.

“It’s considered a commercial sex act because the person who applied is hoping to get a job,” said Lisa Bloom, of the Bloom Firm, which represents the five models.

Jayne Weintraub, a lawyer for Mr. Weber, called the new allegations against him “outrageous.”

She wrote in an email: “Bruce Weber has never lured, recruited, or forced anyone to do anything and has never inappropriately touched a model. This lawsuit is nothing more than a media-hungry lawyer’s attempt to extort Mr. Weber with false, fictitious and legally frivolous claims. We are confident that Mr. Weber will prevail against these false allegations; not just with words, but with evidence in a court of law.”

In January, The New York Times published accusations by 15 current and former male models that Mr. Weber abused his position and his influence to manipulate them. They also described “breathing exercises” in which Mr. Weber touched them and compelled them to touch themselves, and ostracism and lost opportunities when they did not comply with his requests.

“I’m completely shocked and saddened by the outrageous claims being made against me, which I absolutely deny,” Mr. Weber said in a statement at the time.

Ms. Bloom’s firm also filed a lawsuit about a year ago on behalf of the model Jason Boyce, who accused Mr. Weber of groping him. Ms. Bloom said she would seek to add the federal sex trafficking claim to Mr. Boyce’s case as well.

Ms. Bloom said that the use of the sex trafficking charge could allow some cases that might have been prevented by a statute of limitations to proceed. Ms. Bloom said that “it would not surprise me” if other accusers came forward, “especially if they learn about the statute of limitations.”

After the allegations in January, Mr. Weber largely withdrew from the public eye. Condé Nast said that it would no longer work with Mr. Weber or with the photographer Mario Testino, who was also accused of sexual exploitation, “for the foreseeable future.”

This summer Mr. Weber began what appeared to be a quiet re-entry into the fashion world.

In June, he was the guest of honor at a cocktail party and dinner held at Azzedine Alaïa’s atelier in Paris to celebrate the publication of a coffee-table book on his work with the designer, who died in late 2017, and the stylist Joe McKenna. He was toasted there by such fashion luminaries as the model Naomi Campbell, the photographer Paolo Roversi and the Valentino creative director Pierpaolo Piccioli.

Mr. Weber also appeared at parties in East Hampton in August and October. And just last week he was feted at the Paul Smith store in downtown New York for the 18th edition of his photography and literary journal, “All-American.” It is titled “Facing the World,” and for it he covered the anti-gun, youth-led March for Our Lives protest in Parkland, Fla., himself.

At the party at the Paul Smith store, as he mingled with guests, he told Women’s Wear Daily: “I trust myself, I know who I am and I know what the truth is.”

Vanessa Friedman contributed reporting.

Interesting that Bloom is involved after her loathsome Weinstein defense

Bruce Weber’s Legal Team Fires Back at Model’s Sexual Misconduct Claims

Fighting for his legacy, Bruce Weber answered with a filing Wednesday in what is expected to be a long legal battle.

By Rosemary Feitelberg on January 2, 2019

A year after model Jason Boyce filed a lawsuit and more recently an attempted amendment against photographer Bruce Weber for alleged sexual harassment and mistreatment, the lensman has struck back.

Initially claiming sexual harassment and discrimination under the New York State Human Rights Law, Boyce’s legal team filed an amendment two weeks ago alleging violation of the Trafficking Victims Protection.

In a filing Wednesday morning in the Supreme Court of the State of New York, Weber’s legal team opposes Boyce’s amendment to his complaint. Weber’s attorneys allege that the 32-year-old model’s claim of inappropriate touching during a 15-minutes go-see with Weber are “false and salacious” and that his legal team is now “doubling-down on his false claims charade, by seeking leave to amend and assert a claim against Mr. Weber under the Justice for Victims of Trafficking Act of 2015.”

After shooting for more than 40 years in the fashion industry for such clients as Abercrombie & Fitch, Ralph Lauren, Versace and Louis Vuitton, Weber is said to be committed to fighting for his professional legacy.

Weber’s filing describes Boyce as “a failed model who (falsely) claims to have been inappropriately touched during a brief photo shoot, is seeking to now add a claim, based on these same allegations, that he is somehow a victim of sex trafficking. There are no legitimate reasons for this. However, there are plenty of improper ones, including; 1) increasing the public pressure on Mr. Weber that arises from false allegations in the #MeToo era to extort a hefty settlement, and 2) deflecting attention from the patent deficiencies in his case.”

Weber’s lead attorney Jayne Weintraub said Wednesday, “The proposed amendment isn’t based on anything new at all. The plaintiff is attempting to publicly accuse and shame Mr. Weber in the press and on social media. And the point of that was to force a quick settlement and that failed. So this amendment or trying to move to amend is plaintiff’s Plan B, radically mounting pressure through scandalous contrived allegations. But what we will do is to continue to make filings with evidence, not talk.”

Boyce’s attorney Lisa Bloom of The Bloom Firm said Wednesday, “Mr. Weber has hired a team of high priced attorneys who will make every possible argument on his behalf, as we would expect them to do. Nevertheless, we are confident that justice will prevail.”

Modeling representatives for Boyce did not respond to media requests.

A spokesman for Weber deferred comment to Weintraub, who said via e-mail, “We will continue to respond to the allegations in court with evidence, based on facts, not fictitious, false claims without any support. The motion speaks volumes about this frivolous lawsuit. Bruce Weber is innocent of these claims.”

In addition to this ongoing legal battle with Boyce, five unnamed models filed a federal complaint against Weber last month alleging that the photographer is “a serial sexual predator who used his power in the male modeling industry to fraudulently and forcefully entice aspiring male models into engaging in abusive commercial acts.” Bloom also represents those five men, who have requested anonymity for privacy reasons.

In December 2017, Boyce filed his complaint against his then-modeling agency Soul Artist Management; his agent Jason Kanner; Weber, and Little Bear Inc., a company that produces some of Weber’s works. “Essentially, plaintiff alleges that, during a 15-minute ‘go-see’ photo shoot, Mr. Weber touched plaintiff’s genitals and kissed him on the mouth as he was leaving.”

Contending “the original complaint is based on false allegations,” Weber’s team wrote in Wednesday’s filing that “considering whether or not to permit plaintiff’s proposed amendment it is important to note what plaintiff could not and does not allege in the complaint.” The memo filed on behalf of Weber’s team claims Boyce does not allege that Weber “lured or enticed him to the go-see, nor does Boyce allege Weber forced himself on him.”

The complaint alleges Boyce and the modeling agency that represented him personally texted nude photos to Weber himself. The filing alleges that Boyce’s legal team has “stonewalled on discovery and is engaging in a full-court press in the media to attempt to exhort a hefty settlement.” Claiming “a good faith effort to resolve the discovery disputes” with Boyce’s team, the complaint says the parties had “several ‘meet and confers,’ both written and telephonic,” from April through June 2018. The complaint also alleges that the plaintiff agreed to produce additional documents on June 1, 2018, that did not happen by the summer of 2018 [declining to put a specific date], “despite the exchange of additional correspondence on the discovery issues, to date.”

Weber’s team claims that Boyce “has not made any further production of documents or provided amended answers to interrogatories. At the same time, Mr. Weber — a man who has worked for decades to achieve his well-deserved reputation — has been forced to sit idly by for almost a year, unable to defend himself against the vile allegations against him.”

Among the exhibits to the brief opposing the amendment are screen shots of Bloom’s Dec. 26 tweet, “We just filed a new federal sexual misconduct lawsuit on behalf of 5 male models against photographer Bruce Weber, for a total of 6 plaintiffs now. Weber denies sexually assaulting anyone. If you have information for us, please contact me. Truth matters.”

Images of other tweets, including a Dec. 14, 2017 one announcing the details of a press conference with Boyce and a Dec. 21, 2018 press release regarding the second sexual misconduct lawsuit against Weber, were also submitted. Weber’s team also submitted a few text exchanges between Weber and Boyce, and between Weber and Boyce’s modeling agent. Five bare-chested images of Boyce, including two naked images redacted with black boxes strategically placed, were also submitted.

Weber’s legal team writes in the filing, “As plaintiff’s media-savvy counsel is well aware, the very sad reality in this country is that plaintiff can and has caused significant delay in this lawsuit, while at the same time, plaintiff and his counsel are trying this case in the press, on social media, or frankly, anywhere but the four walls of a courtroom.”

But Bloom provided a different view in a phone interview Dec. 26 prior to Weber’s filing. She said, “We filed a lawsuit a year ago on behalf of Jason Boyce against Bruce Weber alleging sexual misconduct and since that time a lot of other male models have reached out to us to show support, to tell us very similar disturbing stories. Most of their claims were time-barred by the statutes of limitations, the legal filing deadline that applies to almost all cases. In this case, it would have been three years in New York.”

She continued in last week’s interview, “There was a recent court ruling in New York under the federal sex-trafficking law which said that when someone is sexually exploited in a casting-couch situation, the federal sex-trafficking law applies with a 10-year statute of limitations. We read that case very, very carefully. We read the federal sex-trafficking law very carefully. We realized that this might open the courthouse door for many accusers whose claims were more than three years old and less than 10 years old. The new case that we filed on behalf of five additional models falls into that category.”

Actress Kadian Noble accused Harvey Weinstein of sexual misconduct under the federal sex-trafficking law as a casting-couch situation, Bloom said in the prior interview. “I think most people know what that is — but it’s when the accusation is you’re lured in for the promise of a job, in this case the promise of modeling jobs, and sexual activity takes place. That’s considered a commercial sex act, which violates the federal sex-trafficking law.”

Bloom added at that time, “If there is one thing that I want people to know, it’s that this law does exist. It’s a federal law that applies all over the U.S. If you were sexually exploited in a casting-couch situation, you may have a viable civil as well as criminal claim under the federal sex-trafficking laws. I personally think there should be no statute of limitations on these cases. But I have to deal with the laws as they are.”

During last week’s interview, Bloom had said the Boyce case was still being processed. “We’re trying to get depositions scheduled. We would like to take Mr. Weber’s deposition and the depositions of other relevant witnesses. We’re asking for documents. Unfortunately, the court system moves very slowly so we’re very aggressive attorneys for victims. We always have to push and push and push. And the other side tends to stall and delay. So that happens in every case. We’re used to it. We have to keep pushing forward and taking depositions. This is the discovery phase so we’re asking for all relevant evidence.”

Asked if she had heard from other models beyond those who have accused Weber, Bloom said of the industry-wide problem, “Yes, dozens and dozens of models. I think models probably, I hesitate to say, but I’m going to say, probably face the worst sexual harassment and sexual assault of any industry. Models, I don’t know how they do it, actually. Many of them leave the profession as a result. You talk to any model who has worked for any period of time, they’re going to tell you a terrible story about something that happened to them — sexual harassment or sexual assault. I think they’re treated like objects. They’re treated like sexual playthings by powerful people in the industry, and I think it’s appalling. It’s disgusting.”

As for correcting the problem of mistreated models, in last month’s interview Bloom praised the Model Alliance in pushing for reforms. “For example, nobody should be asked to do nudity unless that’s disclosed in advance before they show up. It should never be on the spot that they’re asked to take off all their clothes. Some people choose to do nudity and that’s fine. And some people choose not to and that’s fine, too. It should be their choice, which they [should] have time to think about in advance. If there is going to be nudity, there should be another person present. The models never need to be touched by the photographer or anyone else. They are perfectly capable of taking their own clothes on and off, or positioning themselves however is needed. No one needs to be touching them. I think it’s probably a good idea to have a third person in the room all the time even if there isn’t nudity because sometimes even if there’s not nudity, it’s almost nudity. There is a lot of explicit modeling where people are just barely covered so it’s not really much different.”

Bloom added at that time, “I think there should be a better complaint system. They should be believed when they do complain. There should be faster consequences. For Bruce Weber, I see a lot, I should say some hemming and hawing by people in the industry about what they should do with him. He’s still going to events as far as I know. He still has a career. I don’t know what the total number of Bruce Weber accusers is right now given The New York Times investigation and our six, but it’s a big number. And yet he’s still working as far as I know.”

In Wednesday’s filing, Weber’s legal team claimed they continue “to press for discovery while plaintiff continues stonewalling and defaming Weber in the media,” adding that Weber planned to attend the plaintiff’s proposed mediation in September 2018 “to dissuade a fame-hungry plaintiff from reaching any further for the brass ring on a fictitious carousel.”

It continues, “Plaintiff does not allege that Mr. Weber lured or enticed plaintiff to the ‘go see.’ In fact, the opposite is true. As demonstrated below, both prior to and after the brief photo shoot, plaintiff relentlessly pursued Mr. Weber who agreed to the ‘go-see’ photo shoot only after being badgered by plaintiff and his agent — plainly not the modus operandi of someone who engages in sex trafficking. Plaintiff does not allege that Mr. Weber forced himself in any way on plaintiff, because he didn’t.”

Asked if her hope for the five unnamed models was to settle out of court to respect their privacy, Bloom said, “I would not say that is my hope. No, we want to get justice for them. Ninety-eight percent of civil cases do end in settlements because there comes a point where the evidence is clear one way or the other, both sides realize the value of the case if the case settles. That’s true for my cases. That’s true for everybody’s cases. But any case hat we file we are prepared to litigate all the way through trial and beyond if necessary.”

Regarding the more recent complaint by the unnamed models — one of whom is still working — Bloom said in the Dec. 26 interview a trial is probably a year or two away. “In a trial if their names become public, that’s a decision we’ll make at that point.”

In an interview last week, Weintraub noted that Weber has shot “thousands of models” in his 40-plus-year career. At that time, Weintraub said, “The impact of the accusations has been devastating financially and emotionally. And [for] anyone else that would be falsely accused of such a horrible accusation. The accusation itself is impactful and devastating.”

A spokeswoman for Ralph Lauren said the company has never received any complaints by models against Weber for mistreatment, according to its records. Abercrombie & Fitch executives did not respond to repeated requests asking if any complaints had been filed against Weber by models.

WWD.com

Ok, that's disgusting of DM to phrase the headline like that. There's no mention of the agency sending Weber those pics, and to be factual, they werent nudes.

But what kind of agent circulate nude pics of his talent? Are you a pimp or a modelling agent? Hope he'll take them all to the cleaners, Daily Mail included!

These types of emails from agents are customary, unfortunately. I never received completely nude ones, but some of the emails I have received from agents trying to schedule go-sees and castings with their models have been beyond suggestive and super eeky.

While I never received them myself, I do know of completely nude images of models that have been circulated by their agents to photographers, bookers, editors etc. It's pretty disgusting and demeaning for the models who have to go along with it because they believe that that is how the game goes. Most of the guys (models) are actually really nice people trying to make it in a really f*cked up industry. We can argue that they don't have to model, but I suggest refraining from these arguments without actually knowing one's circumstances.

That said, that agency has a particular track record of this type of behavior and I've had a number of models, photographers, other editors, friends within the industry, share super seedy and awfully disgusting stories with me about their activities, especially at the Fire Island location and with executives of certain brands.

I decided to leave the fashion industry last year because no one with a soul wants to risk losing it.

Yikes, ok! I can see that happening. The model industry really is like Models Inc. The male modelling scene especially, being more unregulated than the female variant, men in general approaching exploitation very differently. How the media deal with men calling out abuse. I mean, Boyce had to persist to the extent that this landed up in court.

The nasty trick Weber is trying to pull is as old as the hills and has been used many times to discount women. 'Failed model'? Even if you're innocent, you never, ever employ such character assassination tactics.

Very brave of these models to do this video. Especially Carolyn, because her peers tend to keep mum about this.

Sidenote, the American accents sound extra exasperating! Especially Drake, Nyla, Ali and Hailey's. Let me guess, California? Pity there are no subtitles to this clip.

Patricia's story was very sad.-_-
How are people so awful to keep enabling such photographers?
They sent her there knowing full well what he's like?
Good luck with your karma, the photographer and the other people involved.

Very brave of models to talk about it though, good for them!

Patricia was talking about Greg Kadel, alluding to this Vogue Spain shoot in October 2011: VOGUE SPAIN: Patricia van der Vliet by Photographer Greg Kadel

Absolutely disgusting behavior. I know people that have worked with him who have confirmed this pattern of abusive behavior.

Anyone else find it ironic that Vogue of all publications is doing this docu-series? Anna has caped for these horrible photographers for decades. Absolutely shameless.

Oh my gosh. I’m so livid her agency allowed her to go back. My heart hurts for her. I was nearly in tears watching her speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->