Sexual Misconduct Allegations in the Fashion Industry

Patricia was talking about Greg Kadel, alluding to this Vogue Spain shoot in October 2011: VOGUE SPAIN: Patricia van der Vliet by Photographer Greg Kadel

Absolutely disgusting behavior. I know people that have worked with him who have confirmed this pattern of abusive behavior.

Anyone else find it ironic that Vogue of all publications is doing this docu-series? Anna has caped for these horrible photographers for decades. Absolutely shameless.

Crikey, I just assumed it would be Terry because that sounded like his pattern. If so many people knew about Kadel, how come this was never mentioned?

While I was never a big fan of his work, it's interesting that Kadel, Demarchelier and Testino were those rare photographers whom editors could rely on for a simple, to-the-point yet flawless editorial. The guys who could counter the OTT avant-garde styles of others. And now we no longer have that because the ones tasked with taking their place are not equipped enough to do it right and with authenticity (looking at you, Jansson!)Don't get me wrong, I'm not sad that they're excommunicated, I'm annoyed that the industry concentrated all the plum jobs on these three. And it seems to be happening all over again with Jansson and his duffel bag full of Vogue covers in such a short span.

Crikey, I just assumed it would be Terry because that sounded like his pattern. If so many people knew about Kadel, how come this was never mentioned?

While I was never a big fan of his work, it's interesting that Kadel, Demarchelier and Testino were those rare photographers whom editors could rely on for a simple, to-the-point yet flawless editorial. The guys who could counter the OTT avant-garde styles of others. And now we no longer have that because the ones tasked with taking their place are not equipped enough to do it right and with authenticity (looking at you, Jansson!)Don't get me wrong, I'm not sad that they're excommunicated, I'm annoyed that the industry concentrated all the plum jobs on these three. And it seems to be happening all over again with Jansson and his duffel bag full of Vogue covers in such a short span.

I think that's exactly the problem. The top publications push only a handful of photographers, thus giving them too much power, in the long term creating scenarios like the one that Patricia described above. Editors didn't care what happened on set as long as they got the pictures they needed.

It's sadly ironic that many of the scenarios and the shoots the girls are describing likely took place on a Vogue set and/or with regular Vogue photographers, just like that Kadel shoot on Shelter Island.

I think the difference with Terry was that his work was already so crude/explicit. So it made him an obvious target to be outted first. Then came Bruce Weber, then Testino & the others.

I think that's exactly the problem. The top publications push only a handful of photographers, thus giving them too much power, in the long term creating scenarios like the one that Patricia described above. Editors didn't care what happened on set as long as they got the pictures they needed.

I hadn't thought of it from that angle, but it makes perfect sense! Makes you wonder about all those other models who we consider 'one hit wonders', girls who have worked with top photographers and suddenly just bowed out. Patricia's story strike so much of a chord because her naivety is very plausible. A shame really.

Maybe with so many women behind the lens now, this sort of ratty behaviour is a thing of the past. Next up, the agencies should be regulated!

So Testino is getting a major exhibition in Saint Petersburg's leading modern art museum. Is he trying to come back?
— Музей современного искусства Эрарта

Testino’s behaviour with MEN is not going to hurt his business in countries where being gay is reprimanded.
In those countries, he has that privilege of just being a famous and rich photographer. Even him being gay is not important in places where homophobia is cultural.

A comeback from Testino in the West? No. But the East is a big market and a way to survive. That’s where all the money is anyway...

The Quiet Return of Bruce Weber and Mario Testino

NEW YORK, United States — Man About Town, an independent but increasingly influential fashion magazine that publishes twice a year, shows nearly as much skin as it does clothing.

In one shoot from its current issue, Cesar Vicente sits shirtless atop a table, giving bedroom eyes. In another, a handsome dancer disrobes in the shower until he is totally naked, his hand barely covering his genitals.

The photographs, which appear alongside advertisements from Prada, Louis Vuitton and Gucci, run more than 60 pages and were shot by Bruce Weber, the fashion photographer who was accused in 2018 of allegations of sexual misconduct by more than a dozen models who spoke to The New York Times.

Mr Weber had shot for publications like Vogue, Vanity Fair, GQ, W and Glamour for decades; Condé Nast, the parent company of those magazines, said they would stop hiring him. He was dropped by Ralph Lauren, Abercrombie & Fitch and Versace. All had employed him for ad campaigns. Mr Weber, through spokesmen, has consistently denied all accusations.

In other industries, powerful men trying to recover from accusations of sexual misconduct have followed a basic playbook: Acknowledge wrongdoing, disappear from view and make a significant appeal for forgiveness by one’s accusers. Post nothing to Instagram that signals an emotion other than regret.

But this business operates according to different rules.

Mr Weber is still invited to movie premieres and dinners hosted by big-name industry players. He has recently had work appear in other emerging fashion magazines. He posts old pictures to Instagram, where they garner likes from Nicolas Ghesquière (the artistic director at Louis Vuitton), Carine Roitfeld (the former editor of French Vogue), and Marie-Amelie Sauvé (a well-regarded stylist).

He remains the defendant in a pending lawsuit filed in 2017 by Jason Boyce, a former model who said that Mr Weber groped and kissed him during a test shoot, the industry’s equivalent of an audition. He is party to another, brought by five unnamed models who filed a federal complaint against him in 2018.

Jonathan Bernstein, an employee of Mr Weber, said in a statement this week that Mr Weber “is looking forward to having his day in court.”

Mr Weber, he said, thanks “his studio, his family, his friends and the people who love his work for their support.”

These supporters say they are frustrated that a mild-mannered guy who devotes enormous amounts of time and money to charity is benched. They point out that the fashion world is filled with characters who treat subordinates badly, though the abuse inflicted is nonsexual.

They point out that the attorney for the plaintiffs in both suits against Mr Weber is Lisa Bloom, whose reputation has been shaped in part through her representation of tabloid characters like the model Blac Chyna and the disgraced movie producer Harvey Weinstein.

And they want to compare him to powerful men who are experiencing rebounds — but most of those have first acknowledged and apologised for wrongdoing. So Mr Weber exists in a state of demi-cancellation. He is no longer the giant of yore, but numerous modelling agents remain willing, even eager, to work with him.

Stephanie Grill heads the men’s division at Click Models in New York. She said she “doesn’t know” if any of her clients were among those who accused Mr Weber of misconduct last year. But she said she had no hesitation about sending models for castings with Mr Weber earlier this year when his office called to say he was planning a shoot.

“The guys are aware of the allegations,” she said. “They love working with him.”

She pointed to Jacob Lewandowski, a 26-year-old model who ultimately got cast in one of the Man About Town spreads and had just been telling her how beautiful the pictures were. “He had a great experience,” she said. “I would love for you to talk to him.”

Mr Lewandowski did have positive things to say about Mr Weber and the pictures that had been taken of him.

He said none of Mr Weber’s famous “breathing exercises” took place at his casting.

But Mr Lewandowski also said he didn’t know who Mr Weber was when he went for his first meeting. “She said ‘You have a go-see at,’ I think it was 10 a.m. ‘Can you make it?’ I said, ‘Yeah.’”

Apparently Ms Grill had not told him there were numerous allegations of sexual misconduct against Mr Weber.

“That’s possible,” Ms Grill said, in a follow-up conversation. “But before he worked with him, he knew and made it very clear he was perfectly fine with it.”

Huw Gwyther, the editorial and creative director of Man About Town, wrote in an email that he has gone back and forth about publishing Mr Weber’s current shoots. But earlier in his career, Mr Gwyther had worked for Mario Testino, another top-level photographer whose career was upended by sexual misconduct allegations.

“And my personal experience of working with him [for three and a half years] was nothing but absolutely positive,” he said. That “probably had an influence” on why he chose to run Mr Weber’s work, Mr Gwyther said.

“I don’t honestly know if I made the ‘right’ decision,” he said. “But it is a fact that I have published his work."

“I am a publisher,” he continued. “I am obviously not a judge, nor serving on a jury. I believe in everyone’s right to due process.”

Another reason Mr Gwyther offered for why he had chosen to publish is that the shoot was not commissioned by the magazine. Mr Weber, he said, was “not paid for his work.”

Instead, he completed the shoots on his own and then submitted them for publication — free of charge.

The sight of Mr Weber’s name in his magazine has revived arguments about the fashion business’s overall response to the #MeToo movement.

“Nothing has changed,” said Sara Ziff, a model who worked with Mr Weber on one of his Abercrombie shoots (an environment she described as unprofessional). She now serves as the executive director of the Model Alliance, a nonprofit devoted to combating industry abuse.

Part of the reason, Ms Ziff said, is that models in the United States are generally considered independent contractors and don’t have the kind of union representation actors have.

But it is also true that fashion is perhaps the only business where women in front of the camera make more money than men. Disposability feeds abuse. There is also an expectation that men, by virtue of their physical size, can fend for themselves during unwanted advances, despite imbalances in power.

Agents often operate according to the principle that models ought to be “comfortable” enough with themselves to set their own parameters with photographers, no matter the consequences.

Christian Alexander, an agent at Front Management in Miami represents two models in Mr Weber’s Man About Town feature. In an interview, he complained that the press is “always focusing on the negative” and said that he had never had a client accuse Mr Weber of misconduct.

Mr Alexander then amended that last part. He had previously worked with Mark Ricketson. In 2017, Mr Ricketson cried during a news conference as he alleged sexual misconduct by Mr Weber during a test shoot. Mr Weber has denied the allegations.

Mr Ricketson said that he hadn’t told his agents about the experience at the time, because, “like other young men,” he knew that “if we protested or refused that we would be blacklisted, not just from the photoshoot, but likely from our agency.”

Mr Alexander said he considers Mr Ricketson an opportunist and a fraud. “When I saw that video with those fake crocodile tears, I was shocked,” he said. “It blew my mind.”

Mr Alexander also wasn’t particularly concerned that four models told The Advocate in 2018 that they had been sexually assaulted by Rick Day, a New York photographer who is frequently selected by agencies to do tear sheets of models.

As Mr Alexander saw it, Mr Day simply has an off-colour, truck driver-ish way of speaking. He’s “old school,” he said. “Anyone can take anything out of context and reword it.”

So his agency continues to work with Mr Day and Mr Weber.

“Why is this even still relevant news?” Mr Alexander asked. “This happened, like, two years ago.”

“It’s frustrating,” Ms Ziff said, “but unfortunately not surprising to hear the lack of sympathy for this young population of people who are uniquely vulnerable to sexual assault in an industry without any enforceable standards or genuine accountability. I’m glad you got that on the record because that’s what’s often said behind closed doors.”

Mr Weber is not the only fashion photographer accused of harassment or exploitation who appears to be making inroads at reviving his career. Two weeks ago, Kim Kardashian posted a lush, black and white photograph of herself and one of her daughters to Instagram. She credited Mr Testino with the recent photo.

Diet Prada, an Instagram account that serves as a kind of industry watchdog, posted a screengrab next to comments Ms Kardashian previously made professing support for victims of sexual harassment.
nytimes.com

The blatant slandering of victims here is vile. My God, they've even taken a stab at the lawyer of the victims. Shows you how dirty Weber and his 'supporters' are playing. Exceedingly dirty for someone who is supposedly 'innocent'.
But the cherry on the cake? The cretin casting agent at Click who dared to entertain the preposterous idea to ask her model, who recently did a Weber shoot, whether he was fondled. I mean, seriously, how thick can one be?
I'm not too fazed about Man about Town. As noted, they didn't have to pay Weber for the story. For an irrelevant blip indie like them, that's a blessing in disguise.

The blatant slandering of victims here is vile. My God, they've even taken a stab at the lawyer of the victims. Shows you how dirty Weber and his 'supporters' are playing. Exceedingly dirty for someone who is supposedly 'innocent'.
But the cherry on the cake? The cretin casting agent at Click who dared to entertain the preposterous idea to ask her model, who recently did a Weber shoot, whether he was fondled. I mean, seriously, how thick can one be?
I'm not too fazed about Man about Town. As noted, they didn't have to pay Weber for the story. For an irrelevant blip indie like them, that's a blessing in disguise.

To be fair the lawyer is a dumpster fire who’s in it more for her personal fame and less for her clients. The woman lives to be on TV. But in general this article is sloppy and it’s failing to mention Hercules and other publications that he’s also been shooting for and the reporting is subpar. It’s like they all sat with Vanessa and decided they needed a click bait piece. Like the whole article made me cringe and more at the Nytimes than the accused actions.

To be fair the lawyer is a dumpster fire who’s in it more for her personal fame and less for her clients. The woman lives to be on TV. But in general this article is sloppy and it’s failing to mention Hercules and other publications that he’s also been shooting for and the reporting is subpar. It’s like they all sat with Vanessa and decided they needed a click bait piece. Like the whole article made me cringe and more at the Nytimes than the accused actions.

Definitely, she's the perfect example of a 'star lawyer' with very little scruples. But even with that in mind, launching this character assassination on both the victim and the lawyer is disgusting. What does the fact that she's a famwehore have to do with the allegations made against Weber? I recall some sneering comments about Gloria Allred when she was defending those women against Tiger Woods as well. But then, I shouldn't be surprised really because this sort of slandering and personal attacks are pretty much the norm in American politics right now.

And agreed re NY Times as well. Sara Ziff was only brought in to cover herself from bias reporting because the tone and composition of this article subtly sides with Weber and his supporters.

It's funny...my first time reading it I did finish it wanting more, but my takeaway was that nothing has changed. From the attitude of the agents to the attitude of those accused. Sara was quoted to drive that point home.

What's more troubling to me, however, is that even when called out directly about their actions, those "helping" the accused are unbothered by what has allegedly happened.

What's more troubling to me, however, is that even when called out directly about their actions, those "helping" the accused are unbothered by what has allegedly happened.

Right? This quote: "Why is this even still relevant news?” Mr Alexander asked. “This happened, like, two years ago" killed me. It's like wrongdoing has an expiration date. :shock:

But even with that in mind, launching this character assassination on both the victim and the lawyer is disgusting. What does the fact that she's a famwehore have to do with the allegations made against Weber? I

I read the books "She Said" and "Catch and Kill" about the Weinstein investigation. Lisa Bloom's work for Weinstein was abhorrent, and she deserves any criticism on her motivations that she faces.

So much "it didn't happen to us, so what's the problem" from the agents..

Yep, that's pretty much the picture that I had about what has been happening inside the company all these years, especially concerning Razek. He was really in the position possible for a powerful man with predatory tendencies to be in that is almost suprising that his run sheet isn't on the same level as Weinstein and Epstein's. There will probably be more women speaking out after this. I'm also curious to see of any of the Angels will adress this - Bella Hadid too.

I reckon this should be the final nail on the company. And frankly, good riddance! While the fashion shows were an immensely entertaining and iconic part of industry, it's crazy how the (obvious) dark side of the company lasted for as long as it did. Here's to hoping new brands emerge with the right ethos and that we don't have to hear about stuff like this again.

I wonder if the FBI will investigate Wexner and Razek. There have always been murmurs about child p*rn*gr*phy with those two.

Thank God for models like Bella and Gigi who are not afraid to go on the record. People can say what they want but the good thing about models who are kids of famous people is that they have nothing to lose when they speak out.

How do the other girls stick up for Ed? I find it hard to believe none of them knew what was going on.

How do the other girls stick up for Ed? I find it hard to believe none of them knew what was going on.

Not all models are feminists or supportive of other women. Some of the really big names out of VS are rumored to be the biggest divas or most cut throat towards other women.

How did Georgina Chapman stay with Harvey Weinstein all that time? How are women still supporting Trump? How are women still chasing R. Kelly or Chris Brown?

Probably because he was an immensely powerful figure at the company and they didn't want to lose their six-figure contracts. They were probably also conditioned to think this sort of behavior was normal or okay. Ed likely never targeted any of the bigger models or angels.

The article even reports that MONICA MITRO (VP of PR) filed a complaint against him and she was then put on administrative leave...what does that tell you?

^^ Bella Hadid is one of the biggest models slash celebrities in the world for the past few years.

Probably because he was an immensely powerful figure at the company and they didn't want to lose their six-figure contracts. They were probably also conditioned to think this sort of behavior was normal or okay. Ed likely never targeted any of the bigger models or angels.

The article even reports that MONICA MITRO (VP of PR) filed a complaint against him and she was then put on administrative leave...what does that tell you?

This is the key factor, imo. When I worked in fashion (and obviously I can't say much without getting in trouble, which is also very telling), I was often told that I was overreacting because I stood up against these sort of behaviours the article talks about. Most people look the other way, and models don't feel safe enough to have that conversation.
Also, it's true that many don't care. I mean, I don't want to point the attention to one person because that's just unfair. But when it was published that Bellemere and Greg Kadel had allegedly been abusive towards models, Candice posted pictures shot by them and tagged them. To me, that was terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thtrfh65
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->