Shopping At Luxury Stores

I found the best service in Beijing, the staff was always very helpful, even if you didn't buy anything.. actually everywhere I went there was good service so it wasn't only the luxury stores that had great SAs

really?? I've NEVER seen good service anywhere in China, high-end, low-end, restaurants, shops, buses, taxis, NOTHING, EVER...maybe it's because you're not Chinese.

now i am a lover of selfridges (i don't know why) but the other day i went in there to see if they had some shoes i wanted , they had a lower size to mine in stock so i tried them on and they were too small as i expected and i asked the girl serving me could she ring the store they were from to see if they had any in my size and she said give me five minuets and i will ring them for you , in the mean time I'm waiting with the shoes i tried on for her to come back to then notice she started serving someone else and was in a full blown conversation with him , i decided id had enough and left , i noticed her look me up and down when trying the shoes on and i thought it was pretty rude but then i went to the accessories department and they couldn't do enough for me , i bought a bag as a christmas present and she was chatting away to me and as she went to get my gift box for me another shopper tried to get her attention and she told him could he hang on a second because she was serving me first which i thought was great customer services
one guy tried to sell me a balenciaga bag but in the end i almost sold it to him because i knew more about the bag than he did ^_^

Chanelcouture09 your experience is quiet interesting as I have never had such an experience in Selfridges even if I go in there dressed in drags lol. I used to run by to selfridges when I have a cold or something or just recovering with no make up on lousy clothes and not the most attractive of hair ..or face for that matter! I would look like I had been hit by a bus or something, and still get really good service.

I do think though that it is even better in Libertys. I tend to get most presents there as I feel the SAs have great advice and are not trying to just sell me the most expensive piece, but rather the most suitable one. So far, all the presents I have gotten from there have been a smashing hit! I have had to buy tricky ones for like mother in law etc as well!

I never realized how bad service people get at luxury stores. At Northpark mall in Dallas where I frequent the service in the luxury boutiques is really good.

The best service I got was at Versace. The boutique just opened and I went in to look around and the guy there basically gave me a tour of the place, lol. I asked for the mens section and it wasn't complete yet but he let me have a sneak peak (which was hidden behind a panel of black leather walls which was way cool). He then gave me the exclusive Versace catalog just for coming. I got a similar service at Burberry & Giorgio Armani, in where they simply asked if I needed any help for fitting, what I'm looking for, etc.

It's funny, I'm only 18 and they were treating me a like serious adult shopper which I am but I wouldn't expect it from a luxury shop, lol.

^^ i know what you are talking about haha
i remember back in 1875 when i was 18 i would go to stores where the initial reaction may be rather cold.
you then start talking mink and damier and caviar leather or "oh this is the new cruise right?" (i hear normal kids dont talk like that so often...) and they kind of realize you may actually know what you are talking about.
if you are a big serious buyer or just a tFSer (or hopefully both) they will never guess B)

never had good experiences at armani and gucci. i think their way to treat potential clients may attract "some" sort of clientele.
(i'm totally lying. i was once treated VERY well at Gucci Avenue Montaigne in paris, i guess it just can't make up for all the snobby attitudes i've got elsewhere... literally worldwide)

Last edited by a moderator:
All of these experiences remind me of why I don't shop in the stores. I know what I want, how it fits, about the brands, etc so I just save myself the trouble and shop on-line. There's nothing an SA could tell me to change my mind anyway.

You get treated like crap even if you're carrying a croc Birkin with the reciept attached to it, there is no way to guarantee good treatment in a shop, though being gay and/or asian helps.

HA! This is SO true! I am neither (not even close) so there is no place for me at Tyson's Galleria (I'm from that area as well).

By the way, I have yet to visit this thread which is ashame because I'm so entertained. Hence why I quoted something from 5 million years ago :blush:

with times, i've developed an attitude. if this attitude doesn't make the SA nicer, then he/she is a real dumb.

* it's better working when you already know what you want. buy in the end is not really the issue. so forget about it !
and sincerely luxury shops are just shops ! so SA have to drop the attitude. the only thing that counts is the service and the product. and you have to drop the attitude. like i think being the one who knows everything is not really entertaining.

come nice and smiling. say hello when you come in.
be a little stylish, but not that much (you know what fashion is all about, anyway).
go through the clothes with your eyes ... (i can do that. i see cut, and texture ... and colors).
and then when you spot something that is interesting, ask the SA to come to you and help you. if he/she is not responding right away, comes the sort of "i know how works the good service. do an effort !" attitude. still, smiling !!!

then, ... you can do it by your own ....
that is just an introduction.

i would add that appear a little "dumbish" .... works for me. be a little "spoiled stupid kid", a little, then when the process of selling/buying comes ... drop it a little ... and act normal !

it's all about the borderline.
shy but agressive
dumb but smart
poor but rich

etc.

and Have Fun in shops ! Talk with the SA. Be his friend (but not too much ... :wink:). When you feel the vibe goes on, have fun with the looks !!!!!

(i'm depressed so i shop a lot those days).

Chanelcouture09 your experience is quiet interesting as I have never had such an experience in Selfridges even if I go in there dressed in drags lol. I used to run by to selfridges when I have a cold or something or just recovering with no make up on lousy clothes and not the most attractive of hair ..or face for that matter! I would look like I had been hit by a bus or something, and still get really good service.

I do think though that it is even better in Libertys. I tend to get most presents there as I feel the SAs have great advice and are not trying to just sell me the most expensive piece, but rather the most suitable one. So far, all the presents I have gotten from there have been a smashing hit! I have had to buy tricky ones for like mother in law etc as well!

i think it was probably the fact I'm so young that she probably doubted i could afford what i was trying on, she was incredibly rude.
i had a similar experience in there recently, i wanted to buy a Dior homme jacket, they only had one size in the jacket and the girl even informed me that she had had several enquires regarding this same jacket but there was no more to be sent to the store and i couldn't have one transfered, because they don't do store transfers, which i found odd, she didn't have any product knowledge either, i told her more about the products i enquired about than she knew herself, and she even said to me in near enough as many words that she didn't know anything.
its such a variation in their stores, some staff are so helpful and can't do enough for you and some are rude and look down on the customers, a couple of weeks ago i bought a pair of McQueen shoes and the guy that served me was so helpful and polite and couldn't stop talking to me, that is the type of service they should have.

I recently went to Theresa in Munich. I only heard nice things about it beforehand so I wasn't really scared to go in there even if I looked a bit shabby (I was about to go to a rock concert so I dressed comfy) but it was so awkward! I was checking out their PS1 bags when the SA came to me and said "That one's from Proenza Schouler" as if she thought I had probably never heard of it before and I was like "Yeah, I know! It's the medium one, right?". She paused and then she said "It's €1700" totally making clear she thought there was no way I could afford it. To be fair, that's totally true, but I could afford it for its normal price, which is only €1200 :ninja: All the other SAs didn't even bother talking to me, they were just standing around looking bored. I actually prefer not to be jumped at by SAs in clothing stores but getting completely ignored does feel pretty weird.

Last weird experience: Acne store in Antwerp

The SA doesn't seem to know that their label has an online-store. :ninja::ninja:

As the shoes I tried on weren't available in my size anymore, I said casually: no problem, I'll check your online store and order from there if they have my size.
The SA looked very surprised: we have an online store?
And she kept on pushing that those shoes "fall big" and that I should take the pair I tried on.
Come on! I tried the shoes on, and I think I'd know better if they fit or not.

i feel like SA's are rather hesitant if you're young, but after you've pulled out your card they become super nice and stuff you with free samples and things.

i have one really good experience from when i was around 17 (im 21 now) when i went to a big swedish department store (NK) to buy make up, i ended up at the MAC counter and the woman there was so helpful and nice even though i was really young and probably looked like i had no money to spend. but she still took the time to help me with everything i needed, and i probably ended up buying more than i should of because of her being so nice lol.

also, when i was that young i went to LV, most SA's there are completely rude. but this one asian girl treated me like i was any other "rich" customer.

I have had some great service from the Temperley store in London. I went with my boyfriend on my birthday, the SA was lovely, offered us both a drink, made sure my boyfriend took a seat whilst I tried some of the Alice by Temperley stuff on and was very helpful with sizes. I only spent £70, which I am sure to them is practically loose change but they were charming, wrapped everything beautifully and complimented me on my (£34.99) dress. My boyfriend hates fashion himself and was wearing a very old Paul Smith tshirt and a pair of Tesco jeans, I think the only designer item I was wearing was a vintage Burberry headband.

The best part of this story is that I commented on their Facebook page that they had been lovely, and they sent me their Aztec scarf and a beautiful candle as a thank you gift :D

The best customer service to me were:

Céline, Avenue Montaigne in Paris: As I was on my way to the boutique, it started raining like crazy and I had no umbrella. Mind you, when I stepped into the store, I looked like I had taken a shower with my clothes on :lol: I apologized to the door guy because he had just been sweeping the water on the floor just before I arrived :ninja: He was nice, gave me a huge smile and said it was ok. I was looking for a bag, so I started looking at what they had and a few minutes lated this super cute japanese lady with a thick accent approached me and offered her help. Sadly, the bag I wanted was sold out in Paris. She showed me other options but I didn't like any of them and ended up buying a pair of sunglasses. She was really nice to me and I enjoyed spending time at the boutique. Another good point, I loved what the female SAs were wearing!

Hermès, Nantes: they opened not too long ago and I've been a loyal customer ever since the very first days. Absolutely EVERY SINGLE SA is nice there. The boutique is always crowded but my lovely SA always has time for me. She has the cutest British accent and always gives me good advices. Ah, I just love her :crush:

Bonus point for the super hot female SA who works at the Prada boutique, Avenue Montaigne :woot: :lol:

Worst customer service was at Fendi. :doh: I had just bought a pair of shoes earlier that day, yet a gentleman wanted me to try on a pair of heels because I eyed them for a few long seconds. I made it clear: "I'm going to try them on, but I have no intention of buying them." He insisted that once I did try them on that I'd want them. I tried them on, walked around, and put them back in the box. I told him thank you for his help anyway, and he was incredibly rude. Didn't even look up as I was leaving and was slamming the shoes back in the box to put them in correctly. Unreal.

^ Please, that's ridiculous ... the guy should be reported to the manager.

A lot of shoe SAs like to 'play' with shoes with their customers ... but they understand that's what they're doing and that the chances are definitely less than 50% that it will pay off.

Nordstrom does this, apparently as a matter of policy ... they bring out extra shoes just for fun. I would love to be told the point of this exercise, though, because the ones they bring me are always beyond wild and never in keeping with my taste ... :huh: I do believe in bold shoes ... maybe they don't get the difference between bold and wild :wink:

Well it's time to share my favorite experiences

Hermes
I went into the shop looking for the steve messenger then a SA took it off the shelve telling me stuff about the treatment of the leather and stuff and as I was totally fascinated with the bag the other SA asking me in a very rude, arrogant way "you know how much it costs, right?". I don't think she expected me to know it costs 4000 as she was a little suprised. But I actually thought of buying the bag and it was very arrogant of her to think I wouldn't buy it just because I don't look like a rich spoiled kid.

Jil Sander
I was looking for a pair of pants and although she noticed I wouldn't buy anything she was very helpful and polite. She was telling me everything I wanted to know and wasn't the kind of SA that tells the prices as if I couldn't afford it (which happens to me quite often).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->