Sofia Coppola's Marie Antoinette

I read the book from Antonia Fraser as soon as I heard the project announced back in 05'...I LOVED it. I did the same with with the Edie book by Stein and Plimpton when I heard about Factory Girl...

I have that on my To Read list, along with a few others.

Did anyone read the Hidden Diary of Marie Antoinette??

It's fiction, but based on MA's life, and very interesting. The women who wrote it also wrote a Biography on MA, so it kind of mirrors that.

I have that book in my to read pile. Hopefully I'll get to it soon!

Eh, the movie was too homogenized. The dresses were stunning and the movie is a fantastic piece of eye candy, but little story or plot draws firmly.

The whole argument of historical accuracy reminds me of a reading I did in a Film class where the author claimed that films "owed" something to the public, as though they should stand the test of time as pillars in education of the masses.

Maybe he's just not giving enough credit to the public, but are people really that ignorant? The problem with historical inaccuracy or omitting pages from a history book from a film is that people will probably misconstrue events and then consider themselves an expert because they "saw that movie about it". I don't think that any of Marie Antoinette's flaws lie in where or when it may have gone wrong in storytelling. It's not Masterpiece Theatre and it was never meant to be.

That aside, the sparse dialogue and brilliant use of long takes are just testaments to Coppola's status as a filmmaker. She doesn't talk down to her viewers, and essentially gives the audience a feast for the eyes and a lot of time to think, which usually ends up being my favourite kind of film.

That aside, the sparse dialogue and brilliant use of long takes are just testaments to Coppola's status as a filmmaker. She doesn't talk down to her viewers, and essentially gives the audience a feast for the eyes and a lot of time to think, which usually ends up being my favourite kind of film.

Also...people who hated this movie usually hated The Virgin Suicides which followed a similar formula. I could watch both movies constantly...they're so beautiful...and really just show the monotony life is sometimes, although in MA the lifestyle was a joy to observe.

I just like it because its all so visual and not for its historical value

Terrible movie. I think Sofia basically had more than she could handle. And no, it's not becuase I'm not a fan of hers or I didn't "get" it. I loooved The Virgin Suicided and I liked Lost in Translation (though it was a bit overrated, to be fair), but this was a huge disapopintment for me. It was just all over the place and in the end it really told us nothing.

Two things I did like about the film though.
1. Kirsten Dunst. She was great. I'm pretty sure she can only be good if Sofia directs her. Here, Kirsten really managed to convey the young innocence, the sluttiness and the tragedy. So kudos to her.
2. Obviously, the look of the film. The costumes, the art direction and the cinematography were amazingly beautiful. One of the most beautiful films ever, no doubt. Too bad, there was no substance.

^I agree. The Virgin Suicides is ace, and Lost in Translation wasn't bad, but Marie Antoinette completely lacked direction. The only thing I liked were the costumes and the soundtrack for the most part. To be fair, films about historic characters are hard to do without making them too dramatic, didactic, or romanticized and Coppola avoided that, but perhaps at too high a cost.

I love this movie. Before I saw it I thouhgt it'll be so historical movie - boring and worth nothing. I read book and have to say movie is so much better. All the costumes, story and everything is just amazing. And I love the music.

I think the wardrobe was stunning, every detail existed for a reason. Also, I believe Coppola wanted to give an idea of the inner world of Marie Antoinette, trying to make the viewer believe she was ahead of her time, which might have happened, I don't know so much about the subject to tell. However, I disliked the final scene, so rough and abrupt just like I did when I saw virgin suicides, at first. But then when I get to think about it, I believe I realize what Sofia wanted to do. In Virgin Suicides, for instance, I consider she wanted us to think "damn, suicide is really non-sense!" for the rawness of those last minutes. In MA, my analysis is "Ok, Marie Antoinette was this cute party girl, and then the revolution came and spoiled everything", which sounds "very fiction" and incomplete given some of the most known facts about the french queen.

I really liked it.Beautifully filmed ,wonderful soundtrack, lush costumes.I did think the acting a lot of the time was hollow, but that happens alot when I watch Sofia's films.

I have Virgin Suicides, now I just need to get out and buy this and LIT.

I have the DVD and its one of my favorite movies, but Ive always had a MA obsession. I watch this quite regularly actually.

It really is.I think Lost in Translation is meant to be watched at night just before you go to sleep, it gives of a certain ambiance and mood when you watch it in the dark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->