Sophia Kokosalaki for Vionnet Collection * updated Sophia out

DA070709

Reaction score
WWD, September 27, 2005, Fashion Scoops

"FLASHBACK: The long-ballyhooed revival of Madeleine Vionnet is finally coming into focus. Word has it London-based designer Sophia Kokosolaki, no slouch with a bias cut and elegant draping, has been secretly working on a Vionnet collection, which is slated for relaunch in March. Neither Kokosolaki nor Vionnet officials could be reached for comment."

What do you think?

I think everything Sophia touches turns to gold.

:woot: amazing newsbit, i'm so glad for her if she's actually working at Vionnet

suits Sophia so perfectly well :heart:

thanks for bringing this in cheruit :flower:

sounds like a good match thanks Cheruit!!!

This would be a dream! Sophia is a superdesigner and Vionnet was a great house. They match perfectly.

Thanks for posting!

Thanks for posting this news! So Sophia will do the S/S 06 collection?

faust said:
I think everything Sophia touches turns to gold.
really?...
i think it's 50/50...
sometimes great and sometimes not so great...
her last few collections have fallen flat imo...

so this could go either way in my book...
but it is certainly interesting news...

thanks cheruit...:flower:

*seems kind of crazy that there would be such a thing...
seems almost impossible for a young designer to work under their own name these days...:ermm:

perlefine said:
Thanks for posting this news! So Sophia will do the S/S 06 collection?

I think FW0607, since it is launched in March... and I presume that a show is ment with that :unsure:

I can see the connection between Kokosalaki & Vionnet, although, if this story is true, I dont think it will be as good as the original..

But what happened to Maurizio Pecoraro? Wasnt he slated to do Vionnet?

just a teaser?

I think WWD knows much more about it... I hope this teaser will be followed by a full story during the Paris fashion week...

Exciting news! She really deserves a job like this to prove her skills... she quietly built up her identity instead of starting a hype like Julien McDonald or Giles Deacon (the former being fired at Givenchy and the latter being rumoured to succeed him after just showing a second collection under his own name). Her own mainline definitely deserves some improvement, but I think Vionnet will definitely lift her up and give her the financial backing to grow her own business.

Interested to see what she'll turn out, for sure. Still think Alaia would be better though.

OMG....that's amazing news!!! :woot:

Judging from her draping and her utterly dramatic creations for the Olympics last year,I think this is a perfect match

But to concur with Softie...yes...I'm quite sad that the world of fashion is at the state it's in at the moment....I wish we could see more the individual collections and emphasising on that. But I think she will do a good job though.

while i think this is good news, it is too early to speak of the result.does anyone know of the infrastructure/present financial status of the house of vionnet. i once read an article that the founding designer died a pauper in isolation. I know its probably now owned by someone with a bottomless cashpot but are they willing to spend. what will sophia do? will she develop a new identity for the house (like ghesquire did at balenciaga or will it be a givenchy kind of situation where she is beholden to the bias cut grecian style of the house?)

softgrey, i can tell you the reason(s) why it is so difficut for younger designers to design under thier own name. while this list is not exhaustive here are a few.

a lot of schools do not teach designers the skillsets neccessary to start thier own businesses. (that is why thier is such a high rate of failed startups in fashion, i am sure you can name at least twenty, yes 20, startups in the last four or five years that were heralded with much fanfare that you hear nothing about now.
the fundamental skills neccessary to survive this business are becoming obsolete. i interviewd with one PR. company where the lady just stopped short of calling me a liar.she could not understand how i could consistently produce collections every season since s/s 2002, sell very little and still be in business while having no money. (she couldnt believe i did almost everything fom illustration, draping, patternmaking ,sewing samples, merchandising the line and producing the shows almost entirely by myself. and still find time to do the orders for the three or four stores that i sell to.)
if i had been born in an indusrialized contry like the USA or England i probably would not have aquired these skills and would have gone to school learned how to illustrate and been graduated as a designer, but could not sew a garment or cut a pattern to save my life.these are the ppl you get as designers today. illustrators.
this is the reason many go to thrift stores and copy garments and refrence other ppls work because they do not know how to cut fabric, how to drape or how to even make a basic pattern sloper.everything nowadays seems to be done on a computer!
it can easily run some designers $20,000 to produce a well made collection of 15-20 outfits and then the stores dont always buy, so for the first couple of years most designers are operating business at a loss and if sales dont increase they are forced to close it down when they are out of money or the backers loose patience. I thank God i dont have that problem. as long as i can buy fabric i can produce a collection. I always welcome and appreciate help but if it doesnt come i can and have been delivering the goods by myself
also, in the sixties and seventies fashion was more about creativity and talent than just hype and celebrity, designers grew thier business slowly over time, now everybody wants to be a star in two seasons (if they can wait that long) so the idea is to make a name quickly and land a job somewhere at a prestigious house where you are well paid and allowed to be as creative as you want to be. (i wish)
one of the most important factors though is that working under someone elses name free you of the financial stress that usually comes with your own line so that you can focus on designing the collerction. i am assuming that this is what will happen to sophia, i also hope they will provide her with a good team that she can truly succeed at this new task.

all the best to her

Last edited by a moderator:
tricotineacetat said:
Her own mainline definitely deserves some improvement, but I think Vionnet will definitely lift her up and give her the financial backing to grow her own business.

agreed tricotine..
actually she must have been in discussions on this for at least a year now (hence her not feeling too hot for the rumoured possible Givenchy post)

Sophia is the kind of girl that only does things that she's interested in,
i believe that for her working for Vionnet is a dream come true and i certainly believe she will do an amazing job there

btw, Giles is not going to Givenchy, we have posted the name of Givenchy's new designer at tFS, that was few weeks ago :wink:

Lena said:
btw, Giles is not going to Givenchy, we have posted the name of Givenchy's new designer at tFS, that was few weeks ago :wink:

I know, Lena. It´s of course Tisci, but I remember it was quite a big rumor during fashion week like... one year ago that Giles would succeed McDonald at Givenchy, which was indeed very bizarre given the fact that he had only unveiled his second collection for his own line, without producing his collection at all.

WIthout Bias

WWD, Fashion Scoops, October 7, 2005

WITHOUT BIAS: As reported, designer Sophia Kokosalaki has been secretly working on the relaunch of a Madeleine Vionnet collection. Lo and behold, Arnaud de Lummen, development director of Vionnet, was sitting at her show Thursday, albeit back in the third row. "No announcements," he said when approached by a reporter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->