Sophia Kokosalaki for Vionnet Collection * updated Sophia out

not sure if this time it was an issue of commercial success, it feels more like a 'policy/status issue here..
looks like the Vionnet group took Sophia's Staff/Diesel contract as betrial (can't find the right word here)

on the other hand, getting involved in too many contracts at once may have been a mistake from Sophia's part.. you can't possibly win/keep them all

Oh .. didnt know about that! :shock::blush:

Hum .. this reminds me of a interview ...-was it with Godfrey Deeny- for Fashion File when he reviewed last seasons Pucci collection vs Matthew Williamson's and he said that it lacked ... that most designer who work for two labels tend to ignore to the detriment of one line the usual 110% we are used to see on the runways ... and for investors ... yeah ... a move like that is the kiss of death ... still ... sad!

I really did like the dresses Sophia did, but I don't find it too sad that she's leaving. She wasn't there long enough to really make an impression. Hopefully a full-time designer will be able to give this line more direction.

Stop crying about Sophia!!! She made some Grès-like dresses for Vionnet and I did not feel any direction in both of the collections she did... It's not enough to do nice dresses when you are the artistic director of Vionnet...

I feel Marc Audibet is a much higher caliber and I can't wait to see next collection... This guy is a genious and not the kind of person to make self-promotion... To this extent, I really think that Vionnet was more a marketing tool for Sophia...

Marc Audibet... Remember... Outstanding collections under his name from 1982 until 1988... No seems, a clever use of the stretch that he invented in coordination with DePont DeNemours... Prada, remember: the minimalist city girl style, it is his input... Then, it is a matter of history... Calvin Klein copied Prada and Prada got a smash after all... The Fendi baguette bag, again, it is a creation of Marc Audibet... The return of wedgies and platform shoes... Marc Audibet again who infused them in its Ferragamo runway shows... He is a mastermind and a true technician, master of the flou... I hope he did not lose his talents... RENAME THIS THREAD: MARC AUDIBET RETURNS FOR VIONNET

^ admiting i didn't had the faintest idea who monsieur Audibet was until the Vionnet announcement came around, but yes, he seems more appropriate for the position and Sophia seems a tiny bit bruised from the end of her Vionnet stand..

we certainly need a new thread on this, its under way , mercy madame Cheruit

Marc Audibet to become design director at Vionnet

Marc Audibet to become design director at Vionnet By Suzy Menkes
Monday, June 18, 2007 (International Herald Tribune)

When Marc Audibet was 14 years old, he visited a Paris museum to see an exhibition of Paul Poiret. The presence of the legendary designer's elderly wife and an introduction to the curator, brought the stripling Audibet to a turning point in his life: a chance to see a cache of the work of Madeleine Vionnet.

"I was fascinated by the fluidity, the extraordinary intellectual play - don't forget that this was the era of Courrèges and of fashion architecture," says Audibet, 52, who went on to develop stretch Lycra with DuPont in the 1980s, to work with Miuccia Prada from 1990 to 1996, then at Hermès and Ferragamo.

Now Audibet is coming back to his first love as design director at Vionnet. The fact that his mother was a dancer meant that he was fascinated by "the idea of liberty of movement" and he says that Vionnet's fluid, bias cut dresses fit precisely with his own aesthetic.

"My work started with Vionnet, via McCardle," he says, referring Claire McCardle, the American inventor of feminized sportswear.

The Vionnet label was dusted off last year by its family owner and chairman, Arnaud de Lummen, who did an exclusive deal with Barney's New York, after picking the designer Sophia Kokosalaki. But she left after the Italian Diesel company invested in her own fledgling label.

Audibet says that he defines fashion designers as those from the school of construction - like Christian Dior and those who focused on the body, like Vionnet and Madame Grès. The former dealt in side seams, zippers and buttons. But he is with the latter's slithering ease - even if his tough mission is to capture couture draping as ready-to-wear in just six weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cg1
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->