St Ives Apricot Scrub, Good or Evil

I've heard that St. Ives is way too harsh for the facial skin, so I'm staying away. Perhaps, short term it appears good, but who knows about long term?

My Boyfriend in back home and bought the apricot scrub invigorating what a large one ( 6 oz) i thought it was the body scrub. Will try tomorrow, if it's to harsh for my face i will use as a bodyscrub.

I used to use apricot scrub and I loved it as my face was like a giant oil slick! It's not quite as oily now (age creeping up, alas) and now it drys my skin out too much. I now use Olay Daily Facials. One side is slightly rough & the other is smooth and I find they suit my skin far better nowadays.

I use the apricot scrub on my face every morning while in the shower, and haven't experienced any of the side effects mentioned here (breakouts, irritated skin, etc.). Anyone else in the same boat? After reading through this thread, I feel like one of few with positive experience from this product.

I definitely love this stuff, too. :heart:

Have never had a bad experience. Daily is not too often for me, and I have relatively dry skin to begin with.

This is great during the summer for me. My face got smoother, but I only use it about 3 times a week in the shower.

But what of the ingredients?

Water (Aqua), Juglans Mandschurica Shell Powder (Walnut), Glyceryl Stearate SE, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Zea Mays Kernel Meal (Corn), Cetyl Alcohol, Linoleamide DEA, Cetearyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Lanolin Oil, Prunus Armeniaca Kernel Oil (Apricot), Sambucus Nigra Flower Extract, Primula Veris Extract, Helianthus Annuus Extract (Sunflower), Chamomilla Recutita Extract (Matricaria), Ceteareth 20, Polysorbate 60, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Phenoxyethanol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance (Parfum), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891)

There's a lot of "bad" in there - the fragrance, parabens, phenoxyethanol!

I use it maybe twice a month, I like it and it makes my skin soft.

I cannot believe they sell it in Korea for 12$, when back home the same stuff is like, 1.99$!!!!

Evil in my book with a capital E. I used this once when I was in high school and covered in zits. It really tore my skin, I could feel the gritty bits of walnut on my fingertips. That stuff is waay too sharp to be rubbed in delicate skin, especially on the face. I noticed a lot of cheap scrubs use ground nutshells in them rather than gentler exfoliants like softer microbeads or nut paste (not the shell, just actual nuts). I was totally red after I used this and my face felt like I had road rash. Never again.

I've stopped using this on my face, but I now use it on my body about 1 a week. It's great for the rest of my body- just not good for my face. It really does exfoliate my legs and arms and afterwards I put on a great, thick Nivea moisturizer and my skin feels like new again.

For me, it's to harsh, at least for my face. I have pretty sensitive skin. I prefer chemical exfoliators.

I've avoided posting in this thread because I dont have anything positive to say about St. Ives scrub. I see this in so many people's bathrooms, showers when I visit them and I always lecture them on how abrasive and harsh it is. My dad uses it and he loves it, and unless I or my mother purchased him something better, he's never going to go out on his own and buy a $30 exfoliant, so, I digress...but I remember bringing up to someone how it creates microscopic tears in your skin and the individual said something sarcastic to the effect of, "Yeah like I always look at my face microscopically."
Well, you should. Or just ditch this. Because it's so horrible for you...all aestheticians and just beauty counter SA's always shudder when this is brought up...many clients I come across (I'm an aesthetician) use this and I just want to slap them.
People really think it's doing something great for their skin, yet they're just thinning their skin and making it more sensitive. Our skin is only about three sheets of paper thick, it's thin already, dont use this! And I just have seen a commercial for a Microdermabrasion from this brand?! :shock::blink:
I'm already having nightmares!! :ninja:

P.S. your face should not appear red after exfoliating, maybe pink, but not red. That's a sign people! Take this away from your face, dont use it for awhile, your skin will look and feel better...this is one of the worst products ever, along with Noxzema.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a few sample sachets of St Ives so I'm going to give it a go cos I have no previous experience of it,I might be good,might be bad ^_^

I used teh sample sachet last night adn my skin was/and is okay :smile: It was extremely smooth all last night.So i can't say I dislike it. I already use a microdermabrasion exfoliator from another brand but you can use st ives all over the body right?

I've avoided posting in this thread because I dont have anything positive to say about St. Ives scrub. I see this in so many people's bathrooms, showers when I visit them and I always lecture them on how abrasive and harsh it is. My dad uses it and he loves it, and unless I or my mother purchased him something better, he's never going to go out on his own and buy a $30 exfoliant, so, I digress...but I remember bringing up to someone how it creates microscopic tears in your skin and the individual said something sarcastic to the effect of, "Yeah like I always look at my face microscopically."
Well, you should. Or just ditch this. Because it's so horrible for you...all aestheticians and just beauty counter SA's always shudder when this is brought up...many clients I come across (I'm an aesthetician) use this and I just want to slap them.
People really think it's doing something great for their skin, yet they're just thinning their skin and making it more sensitive. Our skin is only about three sheets of paper thick, it's thin already, dont use this! And I just have seen a commercial for a Microdermabrasion from this brand?! :shock::blink:
I'm already having nightmares!! :ninja:

P.S. your face should not appear red after exfoliating, maybe pink, but not red. That's a sign people! Take this away from your face, dont use it for awhile, your skin will look and feel better...this is one of the worst products ever, along with Noxzema.

I use the St.Ive's cleanser which is a lot less harsh than the scrub - what would you say for this?

Hi Tinsley. I dont know anything about the St. Ives cleanser. How long have you been using it? Is your skin reacting well to it? :flower:

I bought the scrub the other day...and actually...I do quite like it ^_^ so far that is,maybe I'll change my mind over time

I love this scrub, doesnt hurt my face. I have VERY sensitive skin, and ive never had a reaction. I honestly dont believe any of the stuff pushed around about how harsh it is (unless of course its effecting your skin! I dont mean that, so please dont yell at me), and I really think a lot of people who complain about how harsh it is are people who dont exfoliate regularly (2+ times a week) (im sure someone is gonna reply and go 'but I do! etc etc') it isnt any harsher than a kosher salt + coffee scrub which is recommended by a lot of people online. That is like using a metal scrub brush. And Ive used a lot of exfoliaters.. easily near a hundred.

It also has to do with how you rub your face, dont go crazy going up and down real fast and be surprised that your face is red afterwards, you massage slowly and press lightly into your skin in very small rotations, be extremely gentle to your skin, make sure it has enough water on it, I use cold water. Thats all I have to say :flower:

Last edited by a moderator:
Why haven't I seen this thread before? I'm practically the spokesperson for the "St. Ives Apricot Scrub is Evil" society. This stuff is the h***** (highly addictive drug which shall remain nameless) of skincare. It makes your skin look really good, but it is bad, bad, bad for you.

i never thought of using it on my face, actually i use the one from Loreal Pure Zone, and does wonders for my face. anyone reccomend st ives scrub on the rest of the body?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amywhiffen
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->