Steal this Look : A Look Inside Forever 21

I think LOVE just about summed this whole thing up.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Before Models Can Turn Around, Knockoffs Fly"

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/04/us/04fashion.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Buyers from the nation’s leading department stores will sift through the work of hundreds of designers as another Fashion Week begins today in New York, seeking the looks that shoppers will want to wear next spring. Seema Anand will be looking for the ones they want right now.
Skip to next paragraph Multimedia

Slide Show Original vs. Knockoff

04fashion.190.jpg
Joe Fornabiaio for The New York Times
Seema Anand's firm makes clothes inspired by other designers.

Ms. Anand, who will be following the catwalk shows through photographs posted instantly on the Web, is a designer few would recognize, even though she has dressed more people than most of the famous designers exhibiting a few blocks from her garment district studio, under the tents in Bryant Park.
“If I see something on Style.com, all I have to do is e-mail the picture to my factory and say, ‘I want something similar, or a silhouette made just like this,’ ” Ms. Anand said. The factory, in Jaipur, India, can deliver stores a knockoff months before the designer version.
Ms. Anand compared a gold sequined tunic she created with a nearly identical one by the designer Tory Burch. Bloomingdale’s had asked her to make several hundred of the dresses for its private label Aqua, she said.
The Tory Burch dress sells for $750; Ms. Anand’s is $260.
Ms. Anand’s company, Simonia Fashions, is one of hundreds that make less expensive clothes inspired by other designers’ runway looks, for trendy stores like Forever 21 and retail behemoths like Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s.
A debate is raging in the American fashion industry over such designs. Copying, which has always existed in fashion, has become so pervasive in the Internet era it is now the No. 1 priority of the Council of Fashion Designers of America, which is lobbying Congress to extend copyright protection to clothing. Nine senators introduced a bill last month to support the designers. An expert working with the designers’ trade group estimates that knockoffs represent a minimum of 5 percent of the $181 billion American apparel market.
Outlawing them is certainly an uphill battle, since many shoppers see nothing wrong with knockoffs, especially as prices for designer goods skyrocket. Critics of the designers’ group even argue that copies are good for fashion because they encourage designers to continuously invent new wares to stay ahead.
Designers say that is pre-Internet thinking.
“For me, this is not simply about copying,” said Anna Sui, one of more than 20 designers who have filed lawsuits against Forever 21, one of the country’s fastest-growing clothing chains, for selling what they claim are copies of their apparel. “The issue is also timing. These copies are hitting the market before the original versions do.”
The designers seek to outlaw clothing that looks very similar to their originals but is sold under someone else’s label. They want to extend laws that already ban counterfeit handbags and sunglasses with designer logos, which reportedly account for as much as $12 billion of sales. A reliable estimate of knockoffs cannot be determined because designers and retailers disagree on which clothes are copies and which are merely “inspired” by a trend, a normal part of the fashion food chain.
Ms. Anand agreed to offer a rare look at a side of fashion that exists parallel to Seventh Avenue’s celebrity designers, though all but unknown to the public. Interviews with executives at a number of companies that specialize in designing for the private labels of department stores and other chains reveal a highly competitive network of factories, which use the latest technology to reproduce designer looks with the impunity and speed of Robin Hood. Their copies do not violate existing law.
“This is the requirement of the market,” Ms. Anand said. “If a buyer tells us, ‘This is what I need,’ we’ll make it for them. This is our business.”
Her mother, Shashi Anand, founded their company, Simonia Fashions, in 1980, five years after she moved to New York from New Delhi. Shashi Anand has won awards for her success as an Asian businesswoman, including one presented in 1998 by Bill and Hillary Clinton, whose pictures are framed on her office wall.
The company, with 10 employees in the showroom, has sales of $20 million, about 80 percent of which is for clothes sold under the private labels of stores like Bloomingdale’s and Macy’s, and for specialty chains like Forever 21, Rampage and Urban Outfitters. They also design their own line, Blue Plate.
Most of their designs are original, or partly inspired by market trends, the women said; but some look like direct copies, and some of those are made at the specific request of retailers.

(Theres more at the above link)

Like I said, BEBE sells inspired clothing too.
nytimes.com
fashion.slide7.jpg

'Ms. Anand’s company, Simonia Fashions, is one of hundreds that make less expensive clothes inspired by other designers’ runway looks, for trendy stores like Forever 21 and retail behemoths like Macy’s and Bloomingdale’s.'

So basically all who said neiman marcus is better, well read that. It's the same stuff. F21 sells different makes of clothing. Some cheap some not.

I also find it funny that the designers won't sue a store who SELLS THEIR CLOTHING ALSO.
"Ms. Burch, who will show her collection on Sept. 11, said she was aware that her designs had been singled out by copiers. In March, she filed a lawsuit against several stores, including the Strawberry chain, for selling ballerina flats with an insignia she thought was too close to hers. As for the sequined dress Ms. Anand made for Bloomingdale’s, similar to one of Ms. Burch’s, Frank Doroff, a senior executive vice president of the store, said he was unaware of the order. "

It's sad that f21 gets singled out.

The meanest people that I've ever worked for are deeply religious
I always say look at the Godfather as an example dual lives and beliefs

Express is not nearly as trendy and desperate as Forever 21. much more expensive, yes, but i have a few coats, cardigans, and dresses from there that have lasted me years in terms of both quality and relevance.

Same here...I have a couple of their "Essential shirts" (button down collared long-sleeved) that I bought 7 (seven) years ago that still look like new that I get alot of complements on.

The funny thing is, the shirt is so basic that the style of their essential shirt in their stores looks almost the exact same as my seven-year-old one. Perfect for an everyday-wear-to-work type of top, though.

Isn't that how most stores are? The clothes aren't going to hang themselves up, you know. :wink:
i meant like on the floor
in piles
the employees do nothign and i find i really weird that i ahvent gotten oen shift in 3 weeks when i come in and have to pull at least 250 garments that have been stepped and trampled on yet the people who leave them on the ground get at least 3 shifts a weeks

^ That sucks. But the one near me is clean and tidy :smile:. It's the stores duty to clean up, not the customers. And it should be the mangement too, not just throwing it all on associates. Sounds like lazy employees though. My old job was like that, I used to fix everything up and everyone else would stand around and "watch paint dry."

Same here...I have a couple of their "Essential shirts" (button down collared long-sleeved) that I bought 7 (seven) years ago that still look like new that I get alot of complements on.

Absolutely. To me, Express pieces hands-down are of more quality than Forever 21. I'm always afraid to wash any Forever 21 items I've owned... I've since stopped shopping there, and Express for that matter. I grew too old for Forever 21, and Express' stuff hasn't been good, to me, the past few seasons... I'm not into that whole 80s look...

I only go to Forever21 for the jewelry, shoes and accessories.

I bought clothes from them before but they were of poor quality.

I've seen better quality from Target.

You can't deny they have a range of disposable jewellery that is affordable. And plus, you pay for quality too. You can't always be expecting paying $3.80 for a necklace and expect it to last 10 years!

interesting article about the family behind forever 21.

latimes.com/features/image/la-ig-forever21-20100404,0,5884367.story
latimes.com
Meet Forever 21’s stylish sisters
Linda and Esther Chang, the daughters of the fast-fashion chain’s founders, may be the brand’s secret weapons.

By BOOTH MOORE

Los Angeles Times Fashion Critic

April 4, 2010

As Forever 21 continues to rocket into the 21st century, competitors are undoubtedly trying to decode the fast-fashion chain's successful formula.

Low prices? Trendy merchandise that cycles in and out of stores on a daily basis? Super-size stores modeled after the 86,000-square-foot location that recently opened in Cerritos?

Forever 21 has all that, but the real secret weapon may be a couple of women who look as if they're barely out of high school. Linda Chang, 28, and her sister Esther, 23, the Ivy League-educated daughters of Forever 21's Korean American founders Don and Jin Sook Chang, seem to have the stylish eye and marketing savvy to take the $2-billion brand into the future and make it a competitor on a global level with European fast-fashion giants H&M, Mango and Zara.

The Chang sisters joined the L.A.-based company a little over a year ago — Linda to run the marketing department, and Esther to spearhead visuals, including graphics, store displays and window design. Linda is the quintessential young professional in Alexander Wang boyfriend jackets and Forever 21 jeans, cooking lasagna on weekends for friends in her Hollywood apartment. Esther, the Gen Y younger sister in Forever 21 denim shorts, a TopShop flannel shirt and American Apparel knee-highs, still lives at home with mom, who is Forever 21's chief merchandising officer, and dad, who is chief executive.

If this is the first time you're reading about the sisters, it's because the company has shied away from courting the media. A reporter visiting Forever 21's downtown L.A. headquarters is admitted only to the lobby and a conference room. The building doesn't even have a sign outside.

But now the Chang sisters, best friends who are "pretty much inseparable" when they aren't traveling, are talking — and they are such perfect faces for the brand, you wonder why they haven't been out front all along.

Forever's beginnings

Don and Jin Sook Chang, who were born in South Korea and immigrated to Los Angeles in 1981, embraced the fashion business while Don was working at a gas station and noticed the best cars were driven by clothing merchants. The couple opened the first Forever 21 store in Highland Park in 1984; initially, the merchandise was similar to the clothing you'd find in the stalls in downtown's Santee Alley: cheaply made knockoffs.

There were some lean years in Koreatown while the Changs built the business, but eventually, Linda said, the family had enough money to afford private school — Buckley and Harvard Westlake — for the girls and a Beverly Hills estate.

By 2000 the company had 100 stores. Nonetheless, Linda and Esther weren't swimming in free clothes. "I never felt like it was a candy store," Linda said. "I was always concerned about how we could make it better."

Last year, the retailer took over several leases from bankrupt department store Mervyn's, signaling a move from specialty store to big-box retail format. One of those was in Cerritos, where the new Forever 21 store is the prototype for all openings going forward.

There, all eight of Forever 21's collections are merchandised in separate departments, each with its own visuals. Every current spring trend is covered — tribal ($11.50 belted zigzag tunics), military ($22.80 cropped khaki cargo jackets), florals ($29 baby-floral print lace-up booties) and creative knits ($27.80 crochet dresses).

And that has earned the chain some props.

Forever 21 has been name-checked recently by "American Idol" contestants and Hollywood stylists, and last week announced its first designer collaboration — a collection of graphic T-shirts with designer Brian Lichtenberg. (A favorite of Lady Gaga, Lichtenberg designed the caution-tape outfit for the singer's "Telephone" video.)

"Forever 21 offers great, trendy merchandise at low prices, and it turns very quickly," said Michael Stone, president and chief executive of brand licensing and consulting firm Beanstalk Group in New York. "The customer likes shopping there more than Wal-Mart, Target and Kohl's because of the experience. It's brightly lit, there's merchandise all over, there's a hip and cool aura."

"With the younger fashionistas, it is a must-see," said Ilse Metchek, executive director of the California Fashion Assn. "Like Bloomingdales at 59th Street, if you have nothing to do and some money is burning a hole in your pocket, you're going to Forever 21."

No doubt the recession has helped fuel the growth of Forever 21, which has 456 stores and counting. But so has social media outreach and more compelling store environments, both of which are due in no small part to Linda and Esther.

The next generation

As kids, when the Chang daughters weren't studying, they were helping out, wielding price tag guns at the company warehouse on Christmas Day and working the store cash registers during high school summers. But it wasn't apparent from the outset that they would join the family business after college.

Linda studied management as an undergraduate at the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School, and worked as an investment banker at Merrill Lynch and a product planner at Pottery Barn. "I came in [to Forever 21] thinking I was going to do planning, because that was my background, but I discovered we were missing a whole marketing department," she said.

"A brand image and having our customers understand who we were, that was what was missing," she said. "We were just doing what we could to survive because we had expanded so quickly."

She hired a staff (which now numbers 20), launched a Facebook page (now at 747,000 followers), a Twitter feed (73,000 followers) and a blog, the Skinny, aimed at the Teen Vogue set. Forever 21 largely bypasses old media, reaching out to customers and fashion bloggers directly. Blog content is updated daily with DIY projects (rainbow hair streaks), video of Forever 21 shoppers (British pop star V.V. Brown) and trend features ("Pastel Pretty") highlighting Forever 21 merchandise. The company even sent a photographer to the South by Southwest music festival to document street style.

Linda is eager to shape the Forever 21 story as "a realization of the American dream founded by immigrants on really hard work" and to make headlines for things other than allegations of design theft. (Forever 21 has settled several lawsuits over alleged copyright infringement.)

"We are a retailer, and the majority of our merchandise is bought, not manufactured," she said. "When you see our stores, there's fresh new merchandise every day. We're getting more proactive, but mistakes happen, and I think it comes up more for us because of our millions of styles."

"It's the nature of fast fashion," adds Esther, speaking for a generation raised on free downloads.

If Linda is giving Forever 21 a voice, her sister is giving it a more colorful look. As head of the visuals department (the company eschews formal titles), Esther supervises 30 people, including display and graphics designers and merchandisers.

Esther majored in fashion and merchandising at Cornell University and had fashion-related internships at CosmoGirl magazine and Nordstrom. When she joined Forever 21, she assumed it would be as a member of the buying team. But she fell into visuals instead, intrigued by the challenge of adapting Forever 21 to the larger new retail footprints..

"Because we don't advertise that much, I want to distinguish our brands using interior finishes and visuals, giving the customer a sense of who we are," Esther said. Her inspirations include Japan's LaForet and Korea's Lotte stores.

For spring, Esther decked out the Cerritos store with flower murals and mannequins in picket-fenced AstroTurf "gardens" with overgrown terracotta planters. Forever 21 stores can feel sprawling and spartan, but here, the visual elements define each separate department and collection, albeit with varying degrees of success.

"We want to do more of what we did in Cerritos, only bigger and better," Esther said. Next up? Three store openings in Japan next month, and a 96,000-square-foot Times Square store opening in New York in June.

The sisters are all business and don't easily part with information about their personal lives. To hear them tell it, they work hard, stay out of trouble and save their money. They enjoy shopping ( Urban Outfitters, H&M and vintage stores) and eating (Umami burgers). And on most Sundays they attend church with their parents, who are deeply religious.

Forever 21 famously has "John 3:16" printed on the bottom of every shopping bag, referring to a New Testament scripture, and Bibles are on display in the corporate offices. "It's a proclamation of my parents' faith, not them saying you all have to believe," Esther said.

Her sister agreed, adding, "I wouldn't say we're as devout as they are, but that's not to say we won't eventually get there."

For now, they have a seriousness of purpose that comes from knowing that someday the business will be theirs.

"I love it when people come out of our stores being so happy," Linda said. "You go into some places and buy one item, and come out thinking, ‘Should I have gotten that?' But our customers don't have to feel that way. They can spend $100 and get a ton of cute things. Regardless of what the press says, it's the customers who matter. If they are excited, then we are doing something right."

[email protected]

Copyright © 2010, The Los Angeles Times

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yujiaolong666
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->