Steven Meisel - Photographer

I'd never seen the motion photography spread before... It's beautiful. Thanks hugobossdaria. :smile:

These are far more quotidian, but so funny. :lol: From Vogue US, November 2001 ..Drat. There are more -- I especially love the one of Jim Morrison... but my files are too big to be posted.

I hesitate to hotlink, so here's a link to the index with the rest of the photos. ^^

Attachments

• Vogue (US) November 2001 Rock the House Steven Meisel 1.JPG
    Vogue (US) November 2001 Rock the House Steven Meisel 1.JPG
    284 KB · Views: 152
  • Vogue (US) November 2001 Rock the House Steven Meisel 2.JPG
    Vogue (US) November 2001 Rock the House Steven Meisel 2.JPG
    261.9 KB · Views: 149
  • Vogue (US) November 2001 Rock the House Steven Meisel 3.JPG
    Vogue (US) November 2001 Rock the House Steven Meisel 3.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 175
  • Vogue (US) November 2001 Rock the House Steven Meisel 4.JPG
    Vogue (US) November 2001 Rock the House Steven Meisel 4.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 128
(knockout by steven meisel)
sml20020601a001.jpg
sml20020601a002.jpg
sml20020601a003.jpg
sml20020601a004.jpg
sml20020601a005.jpg
sml20020601a006.jpg
sml20020601a007.jpg
sml20020601a008.jpg
sml20020601a009.jpg
sml20020601a010.jpg
sml20020601a011.jpg
sml20020601a012.jpg
sml20020601a013.jpg

hugobossdaria....please don't post such big images...it messes with the thread...
i'm sorry...but can you please re-size those lovely images and re-post them?

thanks...:flower:

hugobossdaria said:
He is not only a great photographer but my idol.Every since i wanted to be photographer he has been the artist that has been my favorite for a long time
he is so talented. Replys :rolleyes: :D :flower:

I agree, very talented, I have always admired him, he's more than a photographer, He's a star in his own right[size=-1] , viva Meisel![/size]

I love that rock the house editorial, it seems like it would be a lot of fun for the models. And I love that Knockout edit too, so gritty and totally unexpected for a fashion shoot...

My favorite Meisel work, that I can think of at the moment anyway, is his ads for YSL f/w 01. The lighting is absolutely incredible, it made an otherwise boring ad campaign a spectacular set of photos.

also love his Opium ad with Sophie Dahl and the s/s 02 ads with Liya
opium.jpg

liya04.jpg

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,497
  • adv_2459.JPG
    adv_2459.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 129
  • adv_2975.JPG
    adv_2975.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 134
  • ysl_ad2.jpg
    ysl_ad2.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 481
I like those YSL ads, very beautiful.

Here's a couple of images from different editorials.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 137
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 118
Here's an Vogue IT editorial that I really love called life. I think there's something very deep in this one. I just love pictures of 50's housewives, so perfect and so stuck.

Attachments

• 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 132
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 112
Is this really Steven meisel?

Meisel-Steven.jpg

He seems like such a mystery to me, its amazing to to think what visions and thoughts are coming out of these photographers minds and into their work by looking at their pictures

Last edited by a moderator:
To me, Steven Meisel is a great photographer who doesn't get it quite right very often. I feel the same way about him as about Picasso. Yes, the talent and magic IS there but there's scant evidence of it in his work. Meisel, of course, has an unusual talent for abstracting the essence of a photograph and interpreting it (some call this copying, but IMO it's definitely not).

I simply hated that Vogue IT supplement cover with Lydia Hearst, not to mention the hideous editorial inside. The styling was enough to make me not want to tear the mag apart (in a bad way). This was the March 2005 issue and fortunately there was a glorious Lily D cover and editorial (by Meisel), a drop dead gorgeous Sorrenti/Hana ed, lovely Anja ed (at least a few pix) and finally that smashing Goldberg/Gemma constellation. So the magazine was worth every penny, but the supplement was mostly forgettable (a rather nice Caroline T ed at the end of it).

One of my fave covers of all time is that Lisa Cant March 2004 cover that someone posted. I can't describe how amazing it is - it's just fing great. So once in a while he comes up with something priceless but most of the time......it's just business as usual.
I get the feeling he's too productive. Let's mediocre editorial ideas slip through. Again, a bit like Picasso - quantity over quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meisel is without a doubt the one of most brilliant men in the field!

With practically every new spread he is pushing the unexpected boundries of our eyes and what we have never seen before! From the light to the styling to the action unfolding before the camera it is all brilliant.

All the naysayers can go rejoice with their status quo cosmo and us vogue.

Bravo!

yes i agree about the 'quality over quantity', though what's my problem with meisel is that i never know where he is in his work. i like some shots, some i don't but i never have the feeling he's "talking to me"?

anna karina said:
yes i agree about the 'quality over quantity', though what's my problem with meisel is that i never know where he is in his work. i like some shots, some i don't but i never have the feeling he's "talking to me"?

Anna,

Who talks to you? I'm curious.

most of the people i have made threads on: paolo roversi, sarah moon, tim walker, deborah turbeville etc...
they talk to me a great deal:D

anna karina said:
most of the people i have made threads on: paolo roversi, sarah moon, tim walker, deborah turbeville etc...
they talk to me a great deal:D

You enjoy a more fineart oriented style then?

^maybe that's the point, i don't know. i also like teller, nick knight ... which goes in another direction. meisel seems just too versatile to me, so that he becomes fluid ...

sirjimbob said:
Meisel is without a doubt the one of most brilliant men in the field!

With practically every new spread he is pushing the unexpected boundries of our eyes and what we have never seen before! From the light to the styling to the action unfolding before the camera it is all brilliant.

All the naysayers can go rejoice with their status quo cosmo and us vogue.

Bravo!

I like Meisel - as I described above - but he seldom pushes the unexpected boudaries. Most of his shots have clear references to past fashion photographs (published in Vogue most of the time). Nothing wrong with that...but he's seldom showing me something I've never seen before. Rather the reverse - he keeps using Bourdin, de Rosnay and von Wangenheim references to the hilt. And I'm not complaining - when he gets it right he's as good as the original.

iluvjeisa said:
I like Meisel - as I described above - but he seldom pushes the unexpected boudaries. Most of his shots have clear references to past fashion photographs (published in Vogue most of the time). Nothing wrong with that...but he's seldom showing me something I've never seen before. Rather the reverse - he keeps using Bourdin, de Rosnay and von Wangenheim references to the hilt. And I'm not complaining - when he gets it right he's as good as the original.

All art is recycled. Its about taking 1 + 1 and making it equal 10 though. Bourdin was brilliant as well but Meisel has been able to take the best of the past fashion gods and carve out his own world.

:shrug: I love the man. :smile:

HugoBossDaria. Could I get the high res of these? It seemed like you posted them first but then took them down. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cerezitas
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->