Straightening / Flat Irons

My hair is curly/wavy with small ringlet-type curls. I love them but since my hair is so short i don't like wearing my hair curly (not until it's longer). I usually just blow dry (with my fingers) and then flat iron it (using a round brush). Do you take any supplements like biotin? My hair is just super thin...

My hair is curly/wavy with small ringlet-type curls. I love them but since my hair is so short i don't like wearing my hair curly (not until it's longer). I usually just blow dry (with my fingers) and then flat iron it (using a round brush). Do you take any supplements like biotin? My hair is just super thin...

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner!:flower:No supplements. But I do dry my hair with a round brush. I also use Aveda styling products. I section out small sections of hair and dry them them separatley *this takes for frickin' ever!!* I then flat iron it using a comb to make sure I'm not flat ironing knots!:lol:If you have fine hair I think you could just blow dry it without a flat iron. I think that if you take your time use a round brush you can get your hair very straight without using the flat iron. Also how many times a week are you drying and then flat ironing your hair?

Ina- I used to straighten my hair all the time.. for the past 2 years I have not used any products or straightened it. My hair grows so fast now..maybe that's the trick? I have air-dried it a lot of the time and rarely I will blow-dry. When I do blow-dry it seems to make it straight if you comb it through and blow-dry at the same time.

I just purchased a GHD and im in LOVE!!! My hair stylist used the GHD on my hair like 6 years ago and i've wanted it ever since. When my Paul Mitchell one broke last week I finally got the GHD and I literally do my hair in half the time

The best straightening iron for THIS type of hair

Well, this consists of posting a picture of your hair and someone has to tell you which straightening iron they consider is the best for your type of hair and why.
So I'll start because I'm crazy for a really good straightening iron to handle my really curly hair. Does anyone know if a really good one?:huh:

I just got the Sedu straightner on folica.com..I can't wait till it gets here. I have had a CHI that I hated and my hair takes about 3 hours to straighten myself. My hair is almost down to my waist..Im thinking that I need a haircut as well..haha

I need help! Every time I straighten my hair it gets really flat. Normally I have a lot of volume. But how do I keep my volume after straightening it??

Has anyone heard of 'The Silver Bullet'
I went to hair house warehouse (who no longer stock GHD because of constant bad reports) and they told me the silver bullet, is better than a GHD. And that GHD are living off their names now - that they used to be good, but aren't now.

Apparently the heat temperature for a GHD is 180 degrees only. :|

either way i bought the Silver Bullet (approx 300 dollars later) and its fairly amazing. it curly and straightens both so easily and is a really great temp (230 degrees) but is adjustable.

Well, this consists of posting a picture of your hair and someone has to tell you which straightening iron they consider is the best for your type of hair and why.
So I'll start because I'm crazy for a really good straightening iron to handle my really curly hair. Does anyone know if a really good one?:huh:[/URL]

My hair is exactly like yours, and i use the silver bullet (newest one) and it works wonders, easy and quick to straighten. make sure the straightner atleast gets to 230 degrees to manage very curly hair.

I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, but I haven't read the whole thread. I just bought a GHD iron (pink and white limited edition), and it works so well and makes my hair look amazing, but every time I turn it on it makes a long/loud beeping sound. Is this supposed to happen?

I realize that this has probably been answered already, but what makes a GHD straightener so fantastic? There is a lot of buzz around it and I was just curious...

^ I really don't know. I think it's because it's a higher end brand name. I own a GHD and a cheaper iron by HAI, and I honestly prefer the HAI.

I have got some supremely curly hair! And I'm quite happy with the Ionika Chrome flat iron. It heats evenly, and doesn't snag like some irons. Was pretty affordable as well (I think around $40 where I picked it up.) I can usually get my hair (medium length, about the bottom of my shoulder blades at the longest point) really straight with a blow dryer and the Chrome in about 40 min. That seems like a while but its a feat for how curly my hair is ha. I just did a keratin treatment with QOD Max White so the time it takes for me to straighten my hair may lessen even further!

Oh and I got harassed yesterday at the mall by a lady trying to sell me a flat iron, can't remember the brand name, but anyways she was like "for you its $175 today only after that it's $250" :ninja: huh? talk about skills taken from an infomercial.....:innocent: I see her once in a while and she always offers the first price!

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my hair straightened for the first time and love it !! Suits me so much better than my natural hair lol. A little shiny but anyway it's the second time I've done now, getting addicted..

But --- I wonder, if there is anything out there that can straighten hair without the iron? I've used V05 Hot Oil and it smoothed everything out. People actually notice! My natural hair is wavy and looks dry/has quite a bit of volume, and this has tamed everything down. Effect lasts maybe a week to two weeks.
A little bit of a hit and miss, I am not getting the timing right yet. So I have one side that's good and the other is a little bit like how it usually is xD

Wow! Some positive reviews here!

I, on the other hand, have a bit of a different view.

I have softly wavy hair and was advised by my salon to purchase GHD straighteners with kerastace protective products a few years back.

I can honestly say that even after only using them on average twice a week, my hair is literally ravaged to death by them, regardless of their shining reviews. I noticed the difference around the 2 month mark, my hair became extremely brittle and so dry at the ends, more porous, frizzy, less responsive to conditioning and growing much slower.

My technique was to allow the hair to dry overnight then straighten in the morning, or else blow dry first then lightly smooth the irons over (just the once!) to finish off.

No matter how careful or minimally i use them, they have literally torn my hair to shreds. I followed all of the advice i was given, and i really do think we are being fooled. I was also told that my hair is pretty strong, considering, so it was not already weakened prior to using the irons, nor has it ever been coloured.
It also straightens pretty easily, so i wasnt even going over the top!

I am amazed that so many people swear by this stuff.
Since i quit using the GHD's and reverted back to mild heat blow drying, my hair has finally begun (after a few months) to respond once again, and to seem at least partly alive. No going back to that!

I got my hair straightened for the first time and love it !! Suits me so much better than my natural hair lol. A little shiny but anyway it's the second time I've done now, getting addicted..

how did u straighten your hair ?? with a blow drier ? and how do you use that hot oil ?? and does it give the same affect the hair staightner creams do ?

I've been straightening my hair since about the age of thirteen... It's probably awful but I really don't feel comfortable without it. My hair is naturally quite thick and feels much harder to manage without the straighteners. I've always used GHD's. Briefly used Babyliss and it was absolutely awful. The GHDs are brilliant - for Christmas I received a thicker pair of GHDs which are super especially for shaping hair but I still use the thinner originals for harder to reach areas. My hairdresser keeps offering me the Brazilian/permanent straightening but I'd hate to lose the natural hair and the chemicals that they use are a bit frightening. The heat protection I use is by ***.

Natural Hair (it's crimped/wavy at the back) / Straightened

i1if4x.png
14j6l8y.png

own photos

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Onceler
Back