Sunscreen Under Makeup

xxb3bigurlxix

Reaction score
I know that you should wear sunscreen every day to protect your skin, and I think I'm going to start doing that (expecially with all of the warm weather coming in). My question is whether or not wearing sunscreen underneath makeup will still be effective, since I wear makeup everyday?

Last edited by a moderator:
Foundation shouldn't take away from your spf protection (eg make it weaker).
I'm not sure I'm following your trail of thought.. could you explain more fully why you think it would mess with the effectiveness of your sunscreen ?

Just make sure your sunscreen has had time to dry on your skin before applying any makeup.. especially if you wear any liquid makeup, so that the suncreen will not get diluted or rubbed off with a sponge :wink:

There should be no problem with wearing sunscreen under your make-up, that's what you're supposed to do. May I suggest a foundation WITH SPF in it already. You'll kill two birds with one stone, so to say. :wink:

(Not that I endorse the killing of animals - heck, I'm a veggie!)

I'm not afraid of it messing with my make-up, I'm more afraid of it making me break out. :( Consequently I haven't put many efforts toward testing sunscreens for this.

pavement said:
I'm not afraid of it messing with my make-up, I'm more afraid of it making me break out. :( Consequently I haven't put many efforts toward testing sunscreens for this.

Personally, I've had excellent luck with Neutrogena Dry Touch sunscreen. It never breaks me out, and it doesn't make me look oily or shiny... it's true to its name.

Good luck on your search for sunscreen.

Bare Escentuals has spf 15 i believe. if it's going to be really hot, i'll use an all natural sun screen lotion under my BE

yeah but most foundations have very weak SPF. 15 is just too weak for me. I am absolutely obsessed so I found 60SPF made by Roc and the same made by Vichy. I put them under make up but Roc is very oily and Vichy comes in tiny bottle, I usually go through 1 - 1,5 a week which ends up costing quite a bit.

Foundations containing SPF are not enough for complete sun protection. To get the labeled SPF you have to use 1/4 tsp of product over the entire face, which in most cases, is too much for a foundation product. These SPFs are not stable and are the bare bare minimum of protection.

Your best bet is to get a high SPF / PPD sunscreen like Neutrogena Dry Touch 55/70. I apply this sunscreen and I wait 20 minutes before applying foundation. The foundation you apply over the sunscreen does not impact the sunscreen that much.
HTH

i've been using MAC's new Prep and Prime SPF 50. it doesn't create a white cast on the skin, and my makeup stays on longer than it did when i used Nars primer. it seems to mattify my skin, and the effects last all day. it's a physical sunscreen so it should be quite stable and protective even when it's been on the skin for awhile. although i think it would be too drying to winter... good thing we're getting into summer. ^_^

i've been dreading this weather, cause I wear spf 80 and i can't seem to get it to stay all day with the heat :ninja:

Suburban Snob said:
Foundations containing SPF are not enough for complete sun protection. To get the labeled SPF you have to use 1/4 tsp of product over the entire face, which in most cases, is too much for a foundation product. These SPFs are not stable and are the bare bare minimum of protection.

So foundation containing SPF doesn't do much then?

Thanks for the help:flower:

^^
In a word, no. It is pretty much a marketing ploy to make people think they are getting added protection from a product - which they really aren't.

Sunscreens in the US provide high protection from UVB rays but UVA rays are those we have to really concern ourselves with. The UVAs are what ages our skin. It is hard to find a suitable UVA protection within the US. European sunscreens tend to be a lot better than US ones (though they are slowly getting better - the DT Neutrogena 55 / 70 are the frontrunners in the American sunscreen market for providing a high SPF/ good UVB *and* UVA protection as well as a high PPD).

HTH!

^What if you just do what I do and hide under an umbrella whenever the sun is out :shifty:

I can't recommend Clinique's City Block highly enough...it's a great product! Most sunscreen makes me break out a bit on my face or makes my face look deathly white. The sunscreen sprays seem to dry my skin out. But City Block is great - it's slightly tinted so it goes on sheer instead of with a white pallor like most sunblocks and it doesn't dry my skin out nor is it mega greasy. It comes in SPF 25 (City Block Sheer) or SPF 40 (Super City Block) - i've only tried the 25 but i think my next tube is going to be the 40...it works as a primer as well so actually makes your makeup look BETTER.

^Actually foundations with SPFs don't really protect your skin from the sun (unless you cake on the amount of foundation you'd typically apply sunscreen, and reapply that foundation every hour...). I'd advise using a separate facial sunscreen under your foundation.

According to a new study out of University of Nantes in France, non-sunscreen products that advertise protection from SPF 4 to SPF 30, often fail to deliver that protection.

Over the course of the study 75% of these non-sunscreen cosmetics with SPF were unable to pass what is called a photostability test. This means that two hours after they were applied, the products were less than 90% effective.

“Skin care products are applied once, in the morning, so any product displaying an SPF must be particularly photostable, as its labelling does not indicate reapplication,” the researchers said in a report published in the journal Archives of Dermatological Research. “In contrast, the packaging on sunscreen products clearly indicates the need to reapply frequently.”

The study also showed that one-fifth of these products offered no protection at all against UVA rays.

“A consumer may buy a product claiming a certain SPF and assume protection for the duration that they use it. In fact, 20 per cent of all products we tested did not protect against all forms of ultraviolet radiation,” the researchers reported. “People need to be educated about the poor protection of daily cosmetics with SPF.”

I did! i mean use sunscreen + 50 and after put some make up but you have to take care if not its a total mess... and on certain places SPF 15 for the face is enough? not for me in summertime... some people gets a + 50 with some color to prevent the mix mess...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ze bicho
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->